For the ladies... (Read 202 times)

I hope this isn't TMI.  I'll try to be a little vague-

I've just joined a new health club.  I'm a little excited because it has many more classes, on all days of the week and at times that are good for my schedule.  I live in a rural area, and the other gyms I've been a member of really lack in this area.  It's a bit of a haul to get there, but I'll hopefully adapt.

Two of the classes I'd like to try are cycling classes, one regular cycling class and one Sprint.  I've actually never taken any of these classes before.  I do, however, know how to ride a bike  So I know how it can make some nether regions very sore and raw   Any tips- for cushioning or undergarments?  I have one pair of tri shorts that I picked up a few years ago on a fabulous sale.  I'm pretty sure they would work, but I wouldn't wear them alone.  I was thinking along the lines of appropriate/comfortable/padded underwear.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have a spin bike at home. .I got these from Amazon to wear under capris. The padding is a little on the heavy side, but they work well (especially for the price).

If the bike fits you well, you shouldn't have major issues. If I haven't used my bike in a while, my butt is a little sore, but nothing major. There are various chamios creams available if you do find yourself chafing.

With any clothing you get, make sure there are no seams near your crotch.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The liner briefs Half Crazy posted might work, though I'd recommend something cut more like a boy short... Those seams along the crease of the leg would definitely give me as much trouble as would a seam up the front without a pretty beefy chamois.

Chamois butter, definitely.

I'm going to blame those giant/smooshy saddles that I see on gym bikes for most of your woes, though. Less is definitely more when it comes to avoiding problems up front. The softer the saddle, the more that saddle padding gets displaced and jammed-up where you don't want it. I'm guessing you can't really bring your own, though.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thank you for these suggestions!  This may be a really stupid question, but do you think a thin maxi pad would help until I can order and receive something?  I have such a bony a$$, and have sooo much trouble when I do floor or seated workouts.  And I'm just plain scared about what it might do to other areas.  Yet I still want to try it!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Thank you for these suggestions!  This may be a really stupid question, but do you think a thin maxi pad would help until I can order and receive something?  I have such a bony a$$, and have sooo much trouble when I do floor or seated workouts.  And I'm just plain scared about what it might do to other areas.  Yet I still want to try it!

NOOOOOO! I think the pad would shift and you would get chafing from the edges or the adhesive. I may also have an aversion to female products & cycling, my worst chafing ever came from a tampon string on a 60 mile ride (sorry, way TMI).

If the classes are Les Mills, the sprint one is 30 minutes. I've done it at home without padded shorts & been fine.

Thanks, Half!  Yes, the Sprint is the Les Mills workout.

The tampon incident sounds truly dreadful!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I may also have an aversion to female products & cycling, my worst chafing ever came from a tampon string on a 60 mile ride (sorry, way TMI).

I know this one!! Also, menopause is awesome! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

cher100

I do a lot of long distance road cycling.  Good padded shorts do help but regardless, be prepared for some pain.  You need some time for your body to adapt to long periods of being on a bike.  The pain lessens (or maybe you just build up a pain tolerance) over time.  Also, do not wear underwear under your padded shorts.

MJeffery

Padded shorts and butt cream

https://www.amazon.com/Chamois-Buttr-Anti-Chafe-Cream-ounce/

And no, please don't try the pad.