Swim entries use running courses? (Read 559 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've not recorded any swim workouts. I just went to look to see if I can record the one I did yesterday. It doesn't look too promising at first blush. The courses listed are my running courses; these are not appropriate for my swims Smile I swam intervals (runners tend to use repetitions, and swimmers tend to use intervals, in my experience). But, I don't see any immediately obvious way to enter them, even leaving aside the problem that some of the intervals are in an unlisted style (e.g., heads-up crawl). I think intervals are more popular with swimmers than repetitions are with runners, so I'm guessing the fact that they don't seem to be supported may indicate that there may not be as many swimmers using this site Smile To summarize, because I wasn't very direct above: #1) Swim entries appear to use running courses; that doesn't sound very appropriate to me. #2) I couldn't see how to enter swimming intervals. #3) I wasn't sure if I can enter new/unsupported stroke/interval styles.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

eric :)

I'm redoing the workout entry pages from scratch. Hopefully it will fix many of the problems you discovered. There is no point for me to fix them on the existing pages. The new pages should be available soon (several weeks?). eric Smile
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

> I'm redoing the workout entry pages from scratch. Oh, great, thanks for the answer. Maybe consider letting people add types of swim workouts (per-interval, or overall), and maybe adding some more preexisting ones (e.g., kickboard). Pardon me for pointing out what is probably obvious, but for intervals, there are two natural times, I think -- the interval time, and the time I finished -- eg, if I swam a 100m doing intervals on 1:30 and finished it in 1:15, it'd be nifty to record both times. Actually, it would be even niftier to select intervals on 1:30, and then just add a row, have it automatically record interval time as 1:30, and myself just type in 1:15. I'm probably posting this in the wrong place, as this is a feature request. Sorry about that.

eric :)

You've lost me with all the swim talk. I'm a land luber although I had the full intention to take real swimming lessons because I contemplated the thought doing a tri. I canceled my YMCA membership a while back because they were charging more than I will ever get out of it so swimming lessons are in the back burner now. Maybe you can describe how you want to enter the swimming data. Remember, I don't know any of 'em swimming lingo so you'll have to be explicit. Thanks! eric Smile
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Re: swimming intervals It's easy, I think, if I explain it correctly. I'll describe running mile intervals on 7:00, as an analogy. In a repetition/repeat, in my experience, you run the distance, then you rest a fixed time or run a recovery lap a fixed time, then you do it all again.That is not what I'm describing. In an interval, you run the distance, then rest until you finish the interval time, then do it again. So, you set out to run mile intervals on 7min. You poise on the starting line, excited, nervous, and scared of the pain, and you push the stopwatch button, and take off running. You finish the mile, and as you finish it, you note your time of 6:10. Because you're running intervals on 7:00, you have 50sec of rest, so you rest until your stopwatch says 7:00, then you take off for the next one. Actually, you cannot run intervals with so much running and so little rest between them (or at least, I certainly cannot). But, for whatever reason, swimmers can do intervals with this kind of ratio: mostly swimming, and short rests in-between. So, the interval time is how much time you get for the fast part and the rest together. If you do it a little faster, you are rewarded with more rest.