Race Day Gear Checklist (Read 841 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Not doubting you at all, but just curious as to why this is a problem. Too much strain on the liver?
    No. Kidneys. Not strain, but reduced blood flow. Several things can reduce blood flow to your kidneys. These include - - antiinflammatories - dehydration - physical activity When combined, this can cause real irreversible damage. The antiinflammatories really only cause troubles when taken in conjunction with the other two conditions. The other two are often present when running, especially when running long distances. Plus, the antiinflammatories don't do much for inflammation when consumed while exerting. So high risk, little benefit. Most guides suggest you not take any for 24 hours before the race until 6 hours after the race.
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Shoes. Sock.
      You're running commando? Shocked
        No. Kidneys. Not strain, but reduced blood flow. Several things can reduce blood flow to your kidneys. These include - - antiinflammatories - dehydration - physical activity When combined, this can cause real irreversible damage. The antiinflammatories really only cause troubles when taken in conjunction with the other two conditions. The other two are often present when running, especially when running long distances. Plus, the antiinflammatories don't do much for inflammation when consumed while exerting. So high risk, little benefit. Most guides suggest you not take any for 24 hours before the race until 6 hours after the race.
        This is all good to know! Thanks Trent. A friend of mine takes Anti-inflammatories every morning that she does a long run. I'll have to send her a copy of this.

Michelle

Scout7

You're running commando? Shocked
          This is why the shorts have liners.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

He didn't say anything about shorts. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

He didn't say anything about shorts. Tongue
              That explains why he only needs one sock Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is all good to know! Thanks Trent. A friend of mine takes Anti-inflammatories every morning that she does a long run. I'll have to send her a copy of this.
                You got it! If your friend MUST take something, tylenol is safer. But taking nothing at all is the safest route.
                Amen brother.
                  *lmao* Big grin

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Awesome, man. a la Red Hot Chili Peppers. LMFAO!!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would add the following to your list 2) second pr of shoes or sandals to change into right after the race. When you're done, it feels good to get out of the shoes you raced in. I like sandals personally 'cuz it lets them doggies breathe. 4) Small cooler with Bells Oberon on ice 5) Ice pack. One of those disposable ones that gets cold when you break the seal. Just in case you have a serious boo-boo or sore spot of any kind.
                      Oh, definitely sandals. Though my Tevas are a bit snug...mine aren't adjustable through the toes and my stupid wide feet sometimes don't like them. As soon as I can I'm going to look at a pair of Keens, since they are more adjustable and look like they would have more supportive soles, too. Mmm...Oberon. Good suggestion! Big grin I hadn't thought of the ice pack, but that's a great idea. I wonder of Meijer carries those? Or maybe a drugstore...? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You got it! If your friend MUST take something, tylenol is safer. But taking nothing at all is the safest route.
                        Hmmm...Oberon?

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

digital camrea for husby
                          I'm going to give hubby a good tutorial on my backup DSLR (Canon 10D) and make sure he gets some good shots of Eryn and I. I have to have something to submit to runningskirts.com! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bodyglide - no longer need it, I have found clothes that don't chafe me.
                            Heh...it's not the clothes that chafe me, it's the ME that chafes me (see also chub rub ). I find that my lower back will get a little chafed from the Camelbak, too. First time I took a shower after wearing it I thought a bunch of bees were stinging me, but it was just the water washing sweat into little abrasions. Gotta have the Camelbak, though. I don't drink well or enough from cups during races, I have found. Also there's only the choice of Gatorade or water and I'm pretty keen on my diluted Gatorade mix...nothing new on race day, heh. k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Exactly. At least somebody's paying attention. I thought we were talking necessities here.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

You'll ruin your knees!

Does your sock-less foot get more blisters than the other one?
                                I thought this was his cold weather list...the "sock" isn't for his foot/feet...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)