Wisconsin Marathon (Read 149 times)

hillaryspeaks

Hi, all - Running the Wisconsin Marathon this year (first time at this event) and was hoping those who have run the full course had any insight, tips, advice. I've gotten used to big races with a plethora of info to pick through, but this guy's small enough that finding much has been challenging. Thanks in advance, and maybe I'll see you out there!!

Kalsarikännit

I am pretty sure I will be there to do the marathon.  I haven't registered yet, and would just be using this as a training run (plus I'm doing another marathon this weekend).  We will see.

I am under the impression that there are small rollers early in the race, and it will be flat after mile 10. I read reports of the pavement being a bit potholed and unevenly filled in a few small spots in the first half, and there is a stretch on limestone in the second half. I don't know where you are from, but if you are familiar with the lakefront, you know to expect wind. The race seems nice and low key, plus it is relatively cheap.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trail Dog

I am running the marathon. My first time for this race, so I can't add any specific advice. I've heard about the "rollers" WG mentions but after a few blustery marathon pace runs over the last few weeks, I'm more concerned about the wind. At least the course switches direction several times.

WG, I hope you decide to run.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This year I think I'd be more worried about the potential for blizzard or monsoon.  Seriously.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kalsarikännit

This year I think I'd be more worried about the potential for blizzard or monsoon.  Seriously.

Considering the weather this year, I see where you're going, but it is still a Wisconsin road marathon, so I'm assuming it will hit 65 and they will cancel the race two and a half hours in.

MTA: grammar 1, wg 0

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Considering the weather this year, I see where your going, but it is still a Wisconsin road marathon, so I'm assuming it will hit 65 and they will cancel the race two and a half hours in.

I think all 3 could realistically happen.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kalsarikännit

WG, I hope you decide to run.

Registered. Two days ago I received an email from them about the race and the $79 registration fee. Weird. If they want me there bad enough to stalk me, who am I to say no?

Roxie, it would be really great to finally meet you in person.

The ten day forecast calls for absolutely perfect conditions, so I'll take "tsunami" in the weather pool.

Oh roo roooo!

The ten day forecast calls for absolutely perfect conditions, so I'll take "tsunami" in the weather pool.

Put me down for flaming hail then.

DoppleBock

Kenosha is too close to Illinois for my taste ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I ran it last year.  They put on a nice event.  My only (mild) annoyance was that I had no idea who was running the half marathon versus the marathon for the first 12 miles.  I did not let my uncertainty affect my racing strategy all that much, but since I was keeping an eye up in front of me, I was getting a little concerned about whether or not one of the people in front of me was running the half or the full.

The course itself is pretty flat.  There are a few very minor inclines, but nothing much.  The course is actually quite pretty as well.  It goes through Pleasant Prairie to the south of Kenosha in the second half before coming back north along Lake Michigan.  There is a significant portion of the race that is on gravel roads in the second half as well.  I got a rock in my shoe that cut up my foot a little bit, but it was fine aside from that.

The free beer afterward is nice.  As is the sampling of different cheese near the finish area.  The prizes are pretty decent as well.  I got a free pair of shoes and a lot of cheese from it.  Come to think of it, I still have some my horseradish cheddar left...

Kalsarikännit

Ausen, thanks for the info, and nice time at Wisconsin!  2:36:30 is smokin fast. (And way to run 2:33:10 at Boston!  Impressive!)

Doc, my tooth hurts

I want to do it just to get the finisher medal which looks pretty awesome.

BuckeyeNurse

I'm running!  I was up there on Friday and drove the course to check it out.  Based on some of the MarathonGuide reviews I was expecting huge craters in the road in the first half, but really it's just some unevenly patched pavement and a few potholes.  If you watch where you're going you'll be fine- since it's not a mega-race, it hopefully won't be so crowded at that point that that will be difficult.

Second half is super-flat and will be very pretty right along the lake.  And, that road surface is nice newly paved asphalt (miles 19 to 23/24ish).

I picked up my packet in Skokie yesterday and it was very organized and the staff/RD were extremely nice.  Looks like it will be a well-run race.

Crossing my fingers the weather forecast changes between now and then!  45*, rain, and 15mph winds is not what I was hoping for.

I should have added that the footing is a little bit uneven on the stretches right next to the lake when you are running on the path in the parkway on Kennedy Dr. through Simmons Island Park, Lake View Park, and Pennoyer Park.  There are quite a few small turns in there as well.  Just keep your eyes ahead of you in that stretch and be careful of uneven pavement...I had to kind of skip-step a puddle around 6 miles into the race last year.

The rolling section is near Carthage College as you are on Alford Park Dr. and you will have to take the wind regardless in that stretch because there is a hairpin turnaround as you get next to the Carthage campus, so you will go back the way you came...and back through the aforementioned parks, too.

The race is indeed rather low-key, but the stretches where you have crowd support are great (especially through downtown Kenosha in the early miles up to about 4.5 and around miles 11-12, then again in miles 24-26).  The finishing stretch is a really good one as well...Lake Michigan is a pretty good backdrop!

Trail Dog

Having packet pickup available one week before the race in Chicago and Milwaukee (in addition to at the 'expo' in Kenosha the day before) is a really great idea. I can't say I've ever seen a race do this before.

Forecast right now has the wind from the south, which will make for some tough sledding from miles 8-19, but the tailwind will be nice for the last 7 miles.

Of course, it is way too early to be looking at the weather. If I've learned anything from living in Chicago the last 8 months, it's that the weather forecasts can change overnight.

I picked up my packet in Skokie yesterday and it was very organized and the staff/RD were extremely nice.  Looks like it will be a well-run race.

Crossing my fingers the weather forecast changes between now and then!  45*, rain, and 15mph winds is not what I was hoping for.