when to try running again with shin splints? (Read 569 times)

I've taken off for 10 days now with only a few bike days thrown in for a moderate workout. I still can feel the shin bother me a bit on occasion (driving or squating or whatever) and I ice it when it bothers me. Do I just attempt a run and walk back home if it starts to bother me on the run? Would I risk making things worse then? Or just the fact it doesn't feel 100% all the time means don't even try a run yet? Thanks for any replies.

I found a paper to review. When I start again I'll take Ibuprofen 1 hour prior to running and treat with hot towels before I start. I'll cut mileage to only short runs for 1 week. I think I need to move my long runs off pavement and to a park for softer trails. I'll probably go get fitted for shoes when it is time to start ramping up miles again. And dropping a couple pounds in the next few weeks would not hurt either of course. But that was easier to do while running. Smile

chrimbler

I feel your pain, but here is what worked for me after I had run a marathon and turned it into a stress fracture Black eye First try short (2miles) runs at a very slow pace, or even walk... I'm told if you don't then you may run the risk of compartment syndrome... and you don't want that!! Next if that isn't working for you, stop running until you shin(s) feel better then take an extra week then start to run again...not what you want to hear?...well try a stress fracture, not nice.
        Run like you stole it!

A Saucy Wench

What was the cause of your shin splints? That has a lot more to do with when to restart running than anything else. If the root cause has been addressed it is one thing, if it hasnt... I wouldnt go the ibuprofen route. Ignoring the lecture you'll get from Dr. Trent if he sees this, pretreating an injury with ibuprofen and then going running is more likely to cause you to run when you shouldnt be. If the run would hurt without the ibu, then it isnt GOOD for your shins with ibu, you just dont feel it

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

bone_china

You may like to read this thread: http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/678106477/m/333103969/p/1