tarsal tunnel syndrome or blocked nerve from tendonitis? (Read 43 times)

Has anyone been diagnosed with tarsal tunnel syndrome or may have had pinched or blocked nerve from tendonitis inflammation?

I was originally diagnosed 3 months ago with posterior tibial tendonitis but 3 weeks ago, I started have burning/tingling in the sole of my foot which has gotten better, but seems to keep coming and going.  When it first showed up, I couldn't really walk on it much and it was quite noticeable throughout the day.  Almost felt like a strain over the whole bottom of my foot.  It has since lessened to just being a light tingling/burning  mostly from the middle of my foot to the ball and is intermittent throughout the day.  Podiatrist put me on a 12 day prednisone protocol at the end of last week to try to bring the down inflammation which he believes is pushing on the nerve (he hesitates to call this tarsal tunnel syndrome since it is rare). Since starting prednisone, the tingling/burning has gotten a lot better but I'm wondering if that is just symptomatic relief and will it all come back once I'm done with the prednisone.

Just hoping someone else can share their experience with something like this?

HCH

I'm not sure I know what tarsal tunnel syndrome is, but I had an nerve impingement in my ankle. It was awful and required surgery and took a looonng time to heal. Podiatrists are helpful for many things, but if I were you I'd go see an orthopedist or sports medicine physician.

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

What symptoms were you having from your nerve impingement?

HCH

I'm not sure I can disentangle the symptoms that were caused by a large mass in my ankle and those of the nerve impingement caused by said mass, but here goes. Numbness and a burning sensation in my foot and ankle that got progressively worse over the course of several weeks. Loss of normal mobility in my foot and ankle. My gait was off when I ran - I was only driving one leg back and sort of dragging the other. Basically, everything under my ankle bone hurt.

Do they still use prednisone for tendonitis now that they know it's not caused by inflammation??

Go see an orthopedist!

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

swimmifish

im in the same boat they are ordering an emg for me because i have nerve pain in the feet and have had plantar fasiitis, ptt and a strain in my arch from a rollerblading injury. im not a doctor but stop taking the prednisone immediately. prednisone WEAKENS tendons and ligaments and you should not be taking it for PTT as you do not want this tendon to weaken. if your tendon is inflamed it probably is causing some nerve compression in that tunnel but i wouldnt think of surgery. i would think getting the inflammation down will fix the nerve problem. you need to stay off your feet as much as possible until its better. you can try supplements like turmeric or fish oil, collagen protein to strengthen the ligaments or  prp injections near the tendon and immobolization to allow for rest. try a walking boot and orthotics for when u have to be on ur feet. its going to take time to get rid of but dont give up if you give it the time it needs it should get better, also eat as healthy as possible you want as much nutrients going to the tendons as possible. try putting the area under a hot tub jet or massage to get blood flow to the tendon and nerves. also ice packs for when the pain to get the inflammation down. alternate between the heat and ice. good luck.

swimmifish

HCH - some cases of tendonitis are inflammation but most are probably not. you can check by mri if it shows inflammation in the tendon or sheath.. also some people with autoimmune disease are more prone to tendon inflammation or tendonitis. also sometimes the initial response is inflammation and THEN tendinosis where there isnt much inflammation but the tendon degenerates. the best way is to see by mri.  for example my mri was without dye and it showed tendon sheath inflammation without a significant  tendonopathy. i also had edema in the plantar fasciia and muscle and bone this was shown on mri my foot been swollen for 7 months . it depends on the injury i suppose but yeah most cases are of it degenerating but this may depend on the age of the person or of the injury acute or chronic and other factors. . i guess mri is best way to tell the difference.