Stumpjump 50k (Read 998 times)

wow...never heard of this race before! I'm itching to try an ultra this year... funny thing is, that's my old stompin grounds. 20 years ago I lived on the mountain just east of there...I think they call it Soddy Daisy Mountain now? Things have really changed in that area. THey built a huge freeway over our mountain that turned our 50min drive down one side with switch back roads to less than a 15 minute trip. Shocked So. How does a beach/city boardwalk running So. CA girl train for a trail ultra? The 50k doesn't scare me...what does worry me is that there's really not a lot of time and opportunity for me train on trails here on the coast.

Jennifer mm#1231

Why is it sideways?

wow...never heard of this race before! I'm itching to try an ultra this year...
      Did you live near Montlake? That's beautiful, forgotten, redneck country out there. I used to battle the 4-wheelers and pick-ups on my mountain bike up on that mountain. How'd you end up making it from there to trendy Socal? You should definitely go for the Stumpjump... but you might want to take a trip every other weekend or so to the mountains to do a long run. I think as long as you can get to some (hilly) trails every other week beginning soon, you'd be totally prepared for October, particularly if you are an experienced marathoner. The trails of the Stumpjump are fairly forgiving, but they are singletrack with some roots and a famous Tennessee 'rock-garden' around mile 17 and a steep climb around mile 26 or so. I don't know, but I'd bet, that running in the deep sand would prepare you for just about anything, including a trail ultra. I'm imagining repeats up a dune...
        LOL...long story, but my mother remarried and we left San Diego for the hills of Tennessee for almost 6 years. I moved back here with my dad my senior year of highschool. Montlake sounds so familiar. I went to school in Dunlap when it was a one stop light town. Blush And ya know, my husband is a ocean lifeguard here and his answer to every training dilemma I have is "go run soft sand!" Tongue Dead

Jennifer mm#1231

Why is it sideways?

Every now and then as a treat in my youth, my family would take me to eat a country breakfast at the Dunlap Motel. Good stuff.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey