Overpronation? Who cares! (Read 286 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I certainly wouldn't mind a greater variety of choices in running shoes.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/26/the-myth-of-pronation-and-running-injuries/?_r=1

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

300 of about 1000 runners developing injury while running about 200 miles average for the year (203,000).

a) did the random assignment of motion controlled shoes and letting them loose on the street without guidance on how much and how fast to run etc. contribute?

b) Is that about the average, if so, maybe I won't encourage folks to run?

b) are these really injuries?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Another industry built on myth.

“we see so many injured runners who’ve been told that they overpronate” and need sturdy motion-control shoes to fix the problem. “They wind up injured anyway.” because of the motion-control shoes.

This was me.

Another industry built on myth.

“we see so many injured runners who’ve been told that they overpronate” and need sturdy motion-control shoes to fix the problem. “They wind up injured anyway.” because of the motion-control shoes.

This was me.

They hurt my GROIN.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

sugnim

I think it depends on the person.  When I first started running, I got injured, and a pair of stability shoes along with PT helped out quite a bit.  Now that I am more experienced, I switch up my shoes more with no problems.  I even have new pair of neutral trail runners with a low drop that I was a bit nervous to run in, but they've been doing great for me.  For me, once I built up my strength, especially my strength in the small muscles in my feet, I am now able to run in pretty much anything I like.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

They hurt my GROIN.

Clearly you're wearing the shoe wrong.  It goes on the FOOT.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I'm trying, as mikeymike said on some thread somewhere, to "run quietly." You'd be surprised how far a concept like that will take you.

Gross.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

With me, it was the knees.  No one told me to put them on my feet.

Jess runs for bacon

300 of about 1000 runners developing injury while running about 200 miles average for the year (203,000).

a) did the random assignment of motion controlled shoes and letting them loose on the street without guidance on how much and how fast to run etc. contribute?

I thought that # was crazy.

J.D.

a) Isn't this how it goes in real life?

b) I believe so. Running is a tough sport.

c) Yes, the article stated that doctors investigated each injury before it was documented.

I do think this study holds some weight. I am a serious runner and know many well-seasoned runners and professional athletes. It seems that the same percentage of them are injured, as well. (I wouldn't attribute the level of injuries sustained to inexperience.)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Perhaps someone who was wearing those shoes on their feet kicked him?

Run for fun.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I would like to see a similar study (not by shoe manufacturers) that tests shoe mileage and injuries.  Do injuries go up after the magic 500 miles?   What types of runners are most affected by shoe wear? Heavy, light, over/under pronators?

Has one been done?

B-Plus

CBC posted a short video about this.