St Charles Children's Home 5k (Read 780 times)

PWL

Has been

Never done a race report, but here goes... The wife and I drove to Portsmouth, NH this morning for our first race across state lines (ooooh!). We woke up late and left late, but still made it to the race site with around 75 minutes to spare--piles of time. The course was on the old Pease Air Force Base, which is now a mixed use site with hotels, business parks, etc. The race benefits a local children's home run by some nuns who take the kids running on a regular basis to help build their self esteem. Runner's World did an article on them a couple months back http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--9987-0,00.html. We had a good warm-up; short, but sufficient. As we lined up at the start, I noticed there were lots and lots of kids and lots of strollers. I tried to snake my way through the crowd, but I ended up getting stuck behind a father running with his two small (5-6 years old) kids who felt the need to line up near the front. Oh well, at least he and his kids are keeping active. Gun sounds, off we go. I started relatively fast, but I had planned to push pretty hard for this race. I hooked up next to a group who seemed to be going at an appropriate pace for me so I hung as close to them as I could through the first mile. I passed the first mile in 7:03 and was feeling pretty good so I felt like I wanted to push a little bit. I decided to move past the group I had been pacing with and kicked out on my own. The 2nd mile was pretty flat, similar to the first, so I ended up boosting the pace--at the end of Mile 2 my watch said 13:55. The last 1.1 was a bit of a struggle. I had gone out faster than planned so I was feeling pretty beat at this point. Plus, the last half of the race had the only hills of the race, uphill of course. But I managed to hold on, even got a good final kick on the last flat 1/10 of a mile. Final result-- 21:36 -- a 5k PR by almost a minute and a half and my first race at a sub-7:00 pace! I'm pumped! Big grin

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Man, you GOTTA be happy with that one. Nice work. A race like that occasionally is all it takes to supply training momentum for months. Hearty congratulations and let this just be the start of a season of greatness.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Nice work, cograts on the PR. Seems like they run a lot of races up at Pease--I ran a 5K there on Memorial Day weekend.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

a 5k PR by almost a minute and a half and my first race at a sub-7:00 pace! I'm pumped! Big grin
          Aw, YEAH, baby! Very nice!!! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

PWL

Has been

Nice work, cograts on the PR. Seems like they run a lot of races up at Pease--I ran a 5K there on Memorial Day weekend.
            Was that the Red Hook race?

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

HEY! I like that PR time (it's mine as well!) Big grin Awesome job. How did your wife do?

Michelle

WTG on the PR! Nice report too Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

PWL

Has been

How did your wife do?
                  She did pretty good as well. She went out faster than she planned but managed to hold on--she dropped 15 seconds off her PR I think. Even though she PR'd, she didn't run as fast as she had hoped for so I think she was a bit disappointed. It was hotter and more humid than we were anticipating which always slows her down a bit. I also think she didn't push as hard as I did since she is running a half-marathon in a couple of weeks--a race which I am not running. But overall, we both did well!

Was that the Red Hook race?
                    Yep. Good race--$15 for a flat, certified course, t-shirt (if you register early) and a pint glass...full of beer! It was the biggest 5K I'd ever run but still I was able to get out and the crowd was not much of a problem.

Runners run

Way to go! Great job on the race and the report. I don't know if it's an annual race or not, but since you know the way to Pease you can keep your eye on the "Beer For A Year" one miler for next year. A one-mile run, with gravity on your side and some serious motivation. Big grin This year's info: http://3craceproductions.com/LocoDownhillMile.htm

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

PWL

Has been

Way to go! Great job on the race and the report. I don't know if it's an annual race or not, but since you know the way to Pease you can keep your eye on the "Beer For A Year" one miler. A one-mile run, with gravity on your side and some serious motivation. Big grin This year's info: http://3craceproductions.com/LocoDownhillMile.htm
                        I don't think they are aware of how much beer I can consume in a year. Evil grin

congratulations on the new PR! and sounds like a good cause too. well done to your wife also - i hope once she gets over the disappointment of not being as fast as she'd hoped that she can appreciate the PR anyway.
                          btb1490

That's a huge PR for a 5k! Well done! Congrats!