Scared New Runner (Read 243 times)

Vanessago

Yesterday while I was out running with the running group, we came across a fellow female runner that had been hit by a car.
    She had minor injuries however she still had to be rushed to the hospital. I’m relatively new to running, but this incident really shocked me.
    I’m not sure if I’m being native about this but how often does this happen in the rest of the world? Or does South Africa just have really crappy drivers?

When do these incidents most likely occur?I don’t know if I should fear running in the day more than at night

Feeling the growl again

I wouldn't say it's common but it can happen anywhere when people and cars are near each other.  Just use common sense.  Avoid running places where you can't be a safe distance from cars or both parties can't see each other in time (hills, curves).  Run against traffic so you see them coming.  Run in daylight or light up like a Christmas tree; dusk and dawn are probably the most dangerous times.

I've been running about 25 years.  I can think of 3 times I was very nearly hit.  Two of those were at high enough speeds to have led to serious injury.  Close calls averted without coming in contact or within inches….countless.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

muppy

+1 To what Spaniel said.

I always wear bright fluorescent colored shirts. I'm always looking for cars and  assuming that they're playing on your phone and not watching for people.  Whenever possible, I try to run on the trails or  roads  without much traffic.  Try not to let one incident like this scare you, but I am also always constantly aware of vehicles around me.

Christirei

I run at the worst time of day, early in the morning when the high school kids around me have just rolled out of bed and are driving to school while texting their friends about what the day holds. I wear two lights and a reflective bracelet. I also run against traffic so I can always see what is coming. And i am extremely proactive about getting out of the way, especially when I am on the narrow road that leads into and out of my neighborhood I always jump into the grass next to the road when a car is approaching. Just be aware and be cautious. use common sense and you should be alright, especially if you are running with a group

GinnyinPA

Also, if you are running on a winding or hilly road, turn off your music or only use one earphone.  You want to hear cars coming so you can get out of the way.  Always assume they can't see you. Beware when running with a group too.  I've seen people act incredibly stupidly on group runs, on the assumption that cars will take note of the group and be more cautious.  That isn't always the case, so don't dash out in front of traffic to avoid having to wait at a light, or cross the road in front of cars so you can keep up with the people ahead of you.

I've been running 13 or 14 years now, and run a little over 2000 miles per year.  I have to jump or take evasive action about once per year.  It's usually somebody pulling out or going around a corner.  They are alert for other motor vehicles, not runners.

It's part of running when you share a road with motor vehicles.

Just remember the bumper sticker: Be Alert.  The World Needs More Lerts.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

There are drivers out there with the attitude that you shouldn't be in the road, so if they hit you, its your fault. They won't give an inch or slow down and dare you to get run over. Those drivers are especially dangerous when you are very tired at the end of a very long run and may be slow and perhaps staggering a bit. It would be easy get hit in such situations.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Run against traffic.

Assume every car is trying to hit you, until proven otherwise (read that on these boards a few years back...good advice).

Make, or try to make, eye contact with every driver entering from a side street. They will normally show some recognition if they see you e.g., a nod or wave, if they don't, stop.

Don't listen to music, stay alert.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If you value safety over music, I suggest you consider:

Also, if you are running on a winding or hilly road, turn off your music or only use one earphone. ...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

DantheMan

I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but I always run with my RoadID. It is a wrist band with your name and emergency contact information. If they ship to South Africa, you might want to consider getting one. Thankfully I have not had to have someone use it yet. I know it gives me and my wife peace of mind.

www.RoadID.com

-Find your happy pace.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It worries me that blinking lights and RoadID can be felt to be charms, to ward off the evil cars. Put 'em on and you won't get hurt. I have felt this in myself. No, you should always assume the driver of any car is distracted, looking at their phone, or drunk.

Feeling the growl again

If you value safety over music, I suggest you consider:

+1 to AP.  I guess I am old but from my view music and running on the road don't mix at all.  You can run facing traffic but someone passing will come into your lane and be behind you….it's happened to me and with headphones you'll never hear it coming.

Another curious observation.  Counter-intuitively, the first subconscious of many people when they see someone running on the side of the road is to veer towards them.

Then there were the punks who decided to drive-by me with a paintball gun and almost hit my eye.  I got their windshield with a rock on the second pass.  Cops sweated them but were too lazy to press charges.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

It worries me that blinking lights and RoadID can be felt to be charms, to ward off the evil cars. Put 'em on and you won't get hurt. I have felt this in myself. No, you should always assume the driver of any car is distracted, looking at their phone, or drunk.

I guess it should go without saying, but a RoadID is not to protect you from cars, it is so the ambulance can identify your unconscious or dead body and contact your loved one after you have been hit. But there's value in that for me, I never run without it. I do wear a reflective vest for all my early morning runs because every little bit helps, but I am pretty realistic about its effectiveness.

I echo several of the others on music; I never use it on the road. When passing in front of a car stopped at a light or stop sign, I try to make eye contact with the driver if possible. Honestly though, my weekday route is on a paved run/bike trail, and I am more worried about cyclists than cars. Those people are crazy.

Dave

kilkee

runktrun

^ Run defensively.  Never assume any driver sees you and will take action to avoid hitting you, no matter what you're wearing or how far off the shoulder you're running.  If you are always aware of your surroundings, I don't think you should fear running on the roads.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

DantheMan

I should qualify my last post. YES. by all means run defensively, and visibly. The RoadID is for exactly what Dave said. Because drivers often do not give runners enough room either because they do not see them or do not care, the RoadID gives my wife and I comfort that if I was to be hurt running, I would be identified and those caregivers would know who to contact.

But yes, run visibly and run defensively.

-Find your happy pace.