pain on outside of knees after long run (Read 712 times)

I ran 12 miles yesterday for the first time, and the outside of my knees were painful afterwards. It's much better today, but I am wondering if there are exercises to strengthen the area (lateral collateral ligaments??), or will they strengthen gradually just from running longer diatances. I have been trying to run 1 long run on the weekend every week, and short runs during the week (3-4 miles) and have gradually worked myself up to 12, but never had as much discomfort before. The rest of my legs feel fine. Any suggestions?

upcoming races:

ITBS perhaps? You might want to try some stretches before/after your run to focus on this area.

Vim

Same exact thing is happening to me. Both with ITBS pain, and "runner's knee" (pain at the top of the kneecap, esp. on downhills). After a search on this forum I landed at this article. My first HM is in 3 weeks, so I hope I get all the way over it by then. Have added the above mentioned daily exercises to my repertoire, and my midweek runs are OK. But this Sunday (15k) and last Sunday (10mi) both gave me ITBS and runner's knee pain (respectively) for the last mile or two.
          Thanks, guys. That was definitely the issue, ITBS. Funny thing is that it is gone now, with the exception of a small pain along the top of the left front kneecap, which I noticed last night. I think that's a tiny bit of Runner's Knee. I guess I just need to hope it goes away with continued strengthening.

upcoming races:

I bet that's a great article, but following the steps is a bit much for this simpleton. It actually sounds a little bit like the Time Warp from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, maybe you could try that? I think they will gradually strengthen from running longer distances if you increase the distance gradually. I wouldn't bump your long run up much more than 10% from your previous long. Nice job on your all time long run Rich, hope you're feeling 100% soon.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.