101 yr old marathoner (Read 1143 times)

My legs are killing me

I just saw a story on the news of a guy who is 101 years old and is running the London Marathon next month. He just completed a 1/2 marathon in what the reporter described as "pretty good time". The guy's trainer is concerned though - he's afraid this guy has peaked too early in his training. Apparently, this guy has a routine in his races. At each one, at the halfway point, he drinks a pint of beer and has a cigarette. True story. Man, I really feel like I have to HTFU.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yep, the story's right here. Dude looks great for 101 years old. And he looks suspiciously like Fidel Castro...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

My legs are killing me

Yep, the story's right here. Dude looks great for 101 years old. And he looks suspiciously like Fidel Castro...
        Your not kidding. I know guys that are 50 and don't look that good. Tough old dude.

Prophet!

its all in the beard.
          andyndallas

Well, I don't smoke anymore (been 7 years), but I will bet that is one good cigarette!
            ...and miles to go before I sleep
              I bet he's got a good shot at winning his age group!
              Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"
                101? Seriously? He must roll his own cigs. I have to see what this guy's reasons are for running. Does he have a full set of teeth? Hey, I wonder if he still posts up? Big grin

Vim

JakeKnight

I was thinking one of the Bridges clan. He looks more like Lloyd (RIP), but this shot of Jeff Bridges with a beard makes the point:

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Apparently, this guy has a routine in his races. At each one, at the halfway point, he drinks a pint of beer and has a cigarette. True story.
                    At 101, you've unquestionably earned the right to do whatever you damn well please. And he is a handsome guy, I bet he's got a 70 year old girlfriend to help him stay young. Love the story, thanks for posting it.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

JakeKnight

Bet he'd laugh his ass off at designer whey frothy shakes and organic tofu.

Imminent Catastrophe

Sorry, I'm raising the BS flag. The guy in that picture is NOT 101 years old. My prediction is that this is a scam. He is NOT 101 years old. Not even close.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Cause I CAN

If this dude can run a 5 hr marathon at that age, gives me hope that I can.... ROCK ON MAN!Big grin
                          Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                          http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
                          JakeKnight

Sorry, I'm raising the BS flag. The guy in that picture is NOT 101 years old. My prediction is that this is a scam. He is NOT 101 years old. Not even close.
                            Dude. It's on the Internet. It has to be true. Next you'll tell us that's not you teaching a gorilla in your avatar.

Ordinarily my BS alarm bells go off when I see a story like this too, but in this case it is being reported by the BBC which is usually pretty good at vetting its stories. MTA: Plus it says he's 101 on Wikipedia too, so now it has to be true! Wink
                                A couple more from Reuters Martin spent much of his life as a physical training instructor with the British Army and didn't retire from his various occupations until he was 97. But after being bored for two years, he went back to work at age 99 as a part time plumber and is now training for the event. "I've said I'll attempt it," he points out. "I haven't said I'll complete it. If I do make it, all the better. I hadn't thought of doing it before but someone asked me and the money goes to charity so why not?" Go Buster!

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.