Is it time to create new PRs? (Read 244 times)

In the month of May I have 4 races lined up over a three week period.  Ranging from a 5k to a full marathon, my running schedule is booked over the next couple of weeks and I couldn’t be happier.  The one thing that does stick in the back of my head though is that I am pretty sure that I will not be in any condition to chase down a PR in any of these events.  I am just coming off my first ultramarathon and I have little time to revamp my running and prepare for my next race, which is the Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon in two weeks.  I’ve noticed this is a common problem throughout the running community.  When you ask someone how they feel about an upcoming event, they will often discuss any aches or pains they have and whether they have kept to their diet.  Then they usually end with whether or not they think they can PR this race.  I’m the same way but I am out to make a change.  I don’t think that the only PR runners should track should be based on time.  It seems too restrict and runs the risk of taking away from the fun of running if one is always looking to run a faster time.  I think we should add new PRs that can be praised and bragged about on Facebook.  Some of my suggestions for new PRs are:

• Number of high fives given out during the race
    • Number of water cups you actually made into the trash can (a separate PR can be set for a trash bag, since the level of difficult is different.)
    • Number of gels consumed without puking 
    • Number of times you had your picture taken by the on course photographers
    • Number of miles run without falling (obviously this is more relevant to some than to others)

Do you have any suggestions?  The best part is, these are new concepts so if you decide to take one on you automatically get a PR.

Thanks for your time,

During the day, I am a mild mannered desk jockey who helps manage a large IT company.  At night, I am a family man, who is insanely in love with his wife and a proud daddy to an amazing girl.  But in the pre-dawn hours, as most everyone else is still asleep, I am my alter ego.  I indulge in my passion for athletic activities, geekdom and artistic fun.  During that time, I am: OxenTrot.  

You can hear my stories at:

My website: www.oxentrot.com

My podcast:  OxenTales on iTunes or just search OxenTales on Stitcher

the fun of running

My experiences with NJ Trail Series races have been some of my best.  In fact, "[t]he goal of the NJ Trail Series is to make running FUN again." 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

My experiences with NJ Trail Series races have been some of my best.  In fact, "[t]he goal of the NJ Trail Series is to make running FUN again." 

NaderAlfie - I just need to give you major props for having a Mookie Wilson avatar.  MOOOOOOKKKKKKEEEEEEE!

Thanks for your time,

During the day, I am a mild mannered desk jockey who helps manage a large IT company.  At night, I am a family man, who is insanely in love with his wife and a proud daddy to an amazing girl.  But in the pre-dawn hours, as most everyone else is still asleep, I am my alter ego.  I indulge in my passion for athletic activities, geekdom and artistic fun.  During that time, I am: OxenTrot.  

Not to hijack your thread, but can't wait for the NJ Trail Series 3 Days , have 2 friends running all 3 and can't wait go cheer them on, plan on doing it next year myself.

Not to hijack your thread, but can't wait for the NJ Trail Series 3 Days , have 2 friends running all 3 and can't wait go cheer them on, plan on doing it next year myself.

No worries. I just checked out the Series and it looks amazing.  I just ran my first ultra two weeks ago and I'm hooked.  As a Jersey native, this just made it onto my bucket list.

Thanks for your time,

I'm in Jersey,  (Harrison)  also, i plan on doing the One Day in November.

NaderAlfie - I just need to give you major props for having a Mookie Wilson avatar.  MOOOOOOKKKKKKEEEEEEE!

My man.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Sayhey! MM#130

I AM hijacking your thread to say MOOKIE is first and foremost Mookie Betts.  O yeah!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

runsonsyrup

I love this idea of new PRs!

--Number of times I set out too fast at the gun

--Number of times I went to the bathroom prior to the start (yikes)

--Number of times I laugh out loud at creative signs held up by spectators

www.runsonsyrup.com

robertaajr

When you ran your ultra marathon did you have to stop at all or walk? How long is a ultra marathon?