Thank you to al you NEW MARATHONERS !! (and all racers of other miles) (Read 792 times)

De-slacking in progress

Stalking all you RA'rs that were training thru the rain, the cold, the heat, the humidity, the storms, the hills, the pain, the injuries, the joys, the sorrows, and the thrills of reaching new milestones in your training programs !! I just stared my running career in April/May of 2008 and have been stalking everyone of you. This community is fantastic and has made me realize that my originally fat 220#, 29 yrs of smoking, never ran anywhere except to the dinner table body, has a glimmer of hope of someday in the not too distance future of accomplishing what all you you mere mortal (and some of you running gods) can do. If it wasn't for the continuing motivation that we get by reading what my new "family" can do, I may not be doing what I (and now my wife Echorun) am trying to do now. Just a humble thank you to all and especially ERiC for creating this community that had LITERALLY changed peoples lives by allowing us to simply having a place to enter some stories of our running experiences. Smile

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

And thanks to you for letting people know that their efforts have positive effect well beyond what it does for them on a personal level.
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Slaptear2 - POD! I feel exactly as you do.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This community is fantastic and has made me realize that my originally fat 220#, 29 yrs of smoking, never ran anywhere except to the dinner table body, has a glimmer of hope of someday in the not too distance future of accomplishing what all you you mere mortal (and some of you running gods) can do.
          I really hope jscovill will post a report very soon. I will almost certainly never BQ, much less place in a marathon...but that guy is one helluva inspiration to this back-of-the-pack broad. He started running at 34 (he's only a couple of months older than me and started running after I did) and 1.5 years later has already run Boston and placed #3 overall for our Sunday marathon--1st in his AG. Yeah, Jeff's a complete freak of nature, but one thing I forgot to include in my RR was how much I was thinking about him as I plodded along. It's funny, I kept looking at the elapsed time on my Garmin--not to try and guesstimate my finish time so much as I was trying to predict where Jeff might be on the course. Once I hit 2:30 (about the same time my calves started giving my troubles) I was picturing him flying towards the finish line. You aren't kidding when you call this place motivating. I came for the log, but I stayed for the friendship and inspiration. Smile I think it's fabulous that we can all provide some cyber kick-in-the-pants for one-another. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Stalking all you RA'rs that were training thru the rain, the cold, the heat, the humidity, the storms, the hills, the pain, the injuries, the joys, the sorrows, and the thrills of reaching new milestones in your training programs !! I just stared my running career in April/May of 2008 and have been stalking everyone of you. This community is fantastic and has made me realize that my originally fat 220#, 29 yrs of smoking, never ran anywhere except to the dinner table body, has a glimmer of hope of someday in the not too distance future of accomplishing what all you you mere mortal (and some of you running gods) can do. If it wasn't for the continuing motivation that we get by reading what my new "family" can do, I may not be doing what I (and now my wife Echorun) am trying to do now. Just a humble thank you to all and especially ERiC for creating this community that had LITERALLY changed peoples lives by allowing us to simply having a place to enter some stories of our running experiences. Smile
            +++1
            Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
              Beware the following words: maybe and someday. They seem innocuous enough on their own, but put them together and they can be extremely dangerous around here. If you find yourself saying them together and you stick around this place long enough, it's highly likely the maybe will come about and it probably won't be the last. That's right, after you finish the Maybe Someday 5K you might find yourself toeing the line at the Maybe Someday 10K, then... For knowledge and inspiration it's hard to imagine a better site.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Old, Slow, Happy

Hey slaptear....I don't know that you would have had reason to "stalk" me, but I wanted you to know that I was big and fat 5 years ago. I am 6'3" and I weighed 295 lbs. I started running 5 years ago. Now I am (still) 6'3" and I weigh 200 lbs. I have run a number of half marathons and a number of 10 milers along with numerous 5ks. My bragging race is a 10 miler in 1:21:00. That's about 8:06 miles. You can see my log. I am battling runners knee right now and my miles are down a little. All this is to tell you that you will be able to run with any of these people. There are faster ones and slower ones, but it doesn't matter. It's the love of running that counts. Keep on working and learning about running. You'll be great sooner than you think. BTW-Archbold is in Northwest Ohio. I'll need to look up where Carollton is. Maybe we can run a race together some time.
                  Right on, Slaptear. My body and smoking stats were identical to yours in February of 2007. Like Kirsten/Zoomy said, I came here for the log and stayed for the friends. I am continually amazed by what folks around here can do when they put their mind to it.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

JakeKnight

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/2000/Forum/7305c4b736d74f23abb27cf41ccb71cb
                      My biggest regret was not being done in time to see Jeff accept his POS clock! Wink Seriously, I have not met a nicer guy. He's hilarious, modest, and so friggin' laid-back. Totally not what I imagine when I think of runners who place in the top 3 in a race of a few thousand runners. I'm so lucky to have met him. Eryn and I are officially his groupies and the founding members of his official fan club. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

My biggest regret was not being done in time to see Jeff accept his POS clock! Wink Seriously, I have not met a nicer guy. He's hilarious, modest, and so friggin' laid-back. Totally not what I imagine when I think of runners who place in the top 3 in a race of a few thousand runners. I'm so lucky to have met him. Eryn and I are officially his groupies and the founding fondling members of his official fan club. Big grin
                        Fixed. MTA: Ditto your thoughts Slaptear. This place full of inspirational and encouraging knuckleheads is a HUGE reason why I can call myself a marathoner.

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

De-slacking in progress

BTW-Archbold is in Northwest Ohio. I'll need to look up where Carollton is. Maybe we can run a race together some time.
                          Eastern Ohio- cow town- more sheep and cows than people- about 1/2 way SE between Canton and New Philadelphia (35 mins south of Canton) in others word- Eastern Ohio- bout 3 hrs away as the crow flies. DS used to live in Toledo at one time so i have a rough idea of where you're at. Who knows- maybe a HM in Cleve next year or in Akron. Just the thought of going to any city makes me ill.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Just the thought of going to any city makes me ill.
                            Boston's nice, especially in April. Clowning around

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

De-slacking in progress

Boston's nice, especially in April. Clowning around
                              Well ok- I'd go to Boston if I could ever become FAST. Still working on 10k's, working my way up. At my rate- I figure I can BQ by the time I'm 55. Smile

Old, Slow, Happy

Eastern Ohio- cow town- more sheep and cows than people- about 1/2 way SE between Canton and New Philadelphia (35 mins south of Canton) in others word- Eastern Ohio- bout 3 hrs away as the crow flies. DS used to live in Toledo at one time so i have a rough idea of where you're at. Who knows- maybe a HM in Cleve next year or in Akron. Just the thought of going to any city makes me ill.
                                My son lives in Akron. The town I actually live in is Pettisville. It is not incorporated, but it has a post office. My older son finished 8th in the Akron Marathon in 2006. He may go again next year. I'd like to run one of those big Rock and Roll half marathons. I don't know if Cleveland has one. BTW--My mother grew up in Louisville near Canton. She has tons of relatives in Holmes county. Glad to Meet Ya!!!!