To far to soon (Read 690 times)

I think that I may have pushed myself to fast tonight. I ran my first full 10K run on Sunday afternoon. No walking yah me! Tonight I thought what the heck I'll give 5 miles a try. I am going to be away this weekend at a family wedding and might miss a run or two so lets make the distance up now. Bad idea right? should have listened to the screeming of my legs and stuck with the 3 miles that I would normaly do after a long run right? Why didn't one of you stop me?!

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

db7

Looks like you have broken the 10% rule a couple of times. You shouldnt increase your weekly mileage or long run more than 10% at a time. We've all done it but not really a good idea. Hope you recover well and get back on the road. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Very bad idea.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Who knows maybe it will help you make a breakthrough. Listen to your body but every once in a while you have to step out of your comfort zone.

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

If you're OK in a day or two then you got away with it. Carry on. If you're not, well, everyone here has done the same dumb thing. Learn from it.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Well put. Some of us (me) have done the same dumb thing many, many times and still haven't learned! When we feel great and have had some good runs the temptation to push it is soooooo tempting. Lke the Perfesser said, if you're okay in a couple of days, then you've dodged a bullet.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I'm sure you've read the quote "You never know how far you can go until you've gone too far". Runners seem to do this regularly. There is a good side however. The more you "go too far", the better you get at knowing when that point is approaching. After 13 years of running, I actually have mornings that my brain wants 10 miles but my body knows that 7-8 is the limit. The bottom line of course, is twofold. Learn from your mistakes and listen to your body.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.