Who is the bigger jerk here? (Read 469 times)

Ostrich runner

You've gotta come up with some better insults.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

xhristopher

Yes.  I was not on a bike, I'm sure it would be worse if you are a foreign idiot gumming up the works.  But for the locals knowing where they are going, bikes/cars seemed to get along famously (I've spend ~3 weeks total observing this).  Running and bikes was no issue either on common paths.

If I were on a bike as a foreigner, I am sure I would not understand everything and cause some issues.  It would be my fault.

Re PerfesserR, I caught on pretty quickly not to walk in the bike lanes.  I was pretty impressed though how the mopeds and bikes got along sharing the bike lane at very different speeds.  This was the big difference I noted -- people seemed to be less selfish and work with each other, and be more tolerant.  At least with regards to this issue.

To be clear, I purposely rented a bike seeking out this madness. I enjoyed it. I lived 5 years in Germany where I spent my first two years driving so it's not that foreign to me. I was just trying to build on ProfsR's point to stay out of the bike lane in the Netherlands. But dnephin's right, It clearly is the bike lane.

There is one thing I've learned living in Boston. Just because someone is driving in the town they grew up in doesn't mean they know where they are going or what the traffic signs say. This guy is a good example of that.

Feeling the growl again

To be clear, I purposely rented a bike seeking out this madness. I enjoyed it. I lived 5 years in Germany where I spent my first two years driving so it's not that foreign to me. I was just trying to build on ProfsR's point to stay out of the bike lane in the Netherlands. But dnephin's right, It clearly is the bike lane.

There is one thing I've learned living in Boston. Just because someone is driving in the town they grew up in doesn't mean they know where they are going or what the traffic signs say. This guy is a good example of that.

I'm confused.  Other than the guy crossed a solid traffic line with no clear reason and was clearly and inexcusably oblivious as to what that meant.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

So I have a confession. To preface this, I rarely bike, I lived and or worked in Boston (in the city proper) for my entire life except for a few years in the Marines  and the last two. Bikers in Boston are assholes generally. Many of them that I came into contact with were bike messengers who, if you don't  have experience with them, appear to be, generally, white teens and 20 something societal outcasts that routinely flout rules of the road and behave in passive aggressive or aggressive behavior with motorists. So one weekend  day I'm heading back home on Cambridge St in Allston with my newlywed wife  and some bike messenger dude is peddling in the middle of the left lane hogging the road. It being Boston, the right lane is  partly blocked with illegally parked cars. So I honk at him to move over, he did not, just kept blocking the travel lane at 15 Mph or so. I finally pass going up over the pike and he gives me the finger. I give it back of course (it's Boston, that's what we do). It devolves to the point where he stops in front of me at a red light and puts his bike on its stand. I come out of my car fast seeing red, he steps back, so I picked his bike up and threw it over the fence where it landed on the masspike's breakdown lane. Got back in my car and drive off. Wife was none too happy I must say. So I voted for the hipster dude w/o watching the vid. Been there. Hipster dude is probably  a bike messenger or close relative.

Joann Y

Wow.

Yup

TerryB.

So, I'm out for my lunchtime bike ride down Comm Ave to fetch some batteries for my boom box and some guy decides it's cool to sit his car on the bike lane. I slap his trunk and tell him to move over and then this cordial discussion ensues. 

You can see the video here: http://youtu.be/2hJ_hzjlQsw

Before watching it, I anticipated that the slap would be more aggressive. You barely tapped his car.

As previously mentioned, your only 'fault' is having the FU conversation, though I understanding having done the same many times.

I had a similar discussion once with possibly the same guy but driving a huge motor home down main street in Riggins, Idaho. He pulled up beside me while I was riding my bike and then swerved into me, forcing me off the road. He then parks two blocks further down so he and his woman could go grab a burger I suppose. I exchanged a few thoughts with him, and he told me in no uncertain terms that I had no business riding a bicycle on a public road. If I was the homicidaly inclined type, he would not have seen another sunset . . .

I have family in Idaho and swerving to run cyclists off the road seems exceedingly common in that if you mention it happening, nine times out of ten people will say something about people having no right to ride on the road.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So I have a confession. To preface this, I rarely bike, I lived and or worked in Boston (in the city proper) for my entire life except for a few years in the Marines  and the last two. Bikers in Boston are assholes generally. Many of them that I came into contact with were bike messengers who, if you don't  have experience with them, appear to be, generally, white teens and 20 something societal outcasts that routinely flout rules of the road and behave in passive aggressive or aggressive behavior with motorists. So one weekend  day I'm heading back home on Cambridge St in Allston with my newlywed wife  and some bike messenger dude is peddling in the middle of the left lane hogging the road. It being Boston, the right lane is  partly blocked with illegally parked cars. So I honk at him to move over, he did not, just kept blocking the travel lane at 15 Mph or so. I finally pass going up over the pike and he gives me the finger. I give it back of course (it's Boston, that's what we do). It devolves to the point where he stops in front of me at a red light and puts his bike on its stand. I come out of my car fast seeing red, he steps back, so I picked his bike up and threw it over the fence where it landed on the masspike's breakdown lane. Got back in my car and drive off. Wife was none too happy I must say. So I voted for the hipster dude w/o watching the vid. Been there. Hipster dude is probably  a bike messenger or close relative.

At a first reading, this sounds like the actual violence was you seizing his property and deliberately destroying it? And you did this because you were so angry at his trying to ride his bicycle in the road, and you were furious because he stopped at a red light?

Am I missing something?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xhristopher

At a first reading, this sounds like the actual violence was you seizing his property and deliberately destroying it? And you did this because you were so angry at his trying to ride his bicycle in the road, and you were furious because he stopped at a red light?

Am I missing something?

I read it that way too. This guy just outed himself as a bulLy. Because illegally parked cars left a cyclist with only the left lane for travel, which momentarily delayed travel, this guy provoked and participated in violence? Did the cyclist also not have a right to forward progress?

His description of Boston sounds like its from another era. Bike messangees have become much more rare since we got the internet. Boston (Cambridge & Sommerville too) is now filled with ordinary commuters and Hubway riders. We've got more dedicated lanes and wait for signals more than ever. Things are changing for the better.

It's folks like the guy in the Lincoln and this poster who are blind to that change and are now part of the problem, not the solution.

Feeling the growl again

I think we found the biggest jerk ^^^

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

If you're going to give the finger, then hop off you're bike like you're going to do something, you should at least have something to back it up. Perhaps a calm conversation such as '" Hey man, WTF is your problem, you can go TF around me then if i'm ridin' too slow." I only have REAL problems during the summer months, when all the dumbasses show up. So, if any of you guys plan on coming to New England this summer pay attention to the road. If you want to look at all the pretty sail boats and shit, pull over and take some pics.

BeeRunB

Draw.

You're not in Amsterdam anymore, Yannick.

wrong, there was room to ride on the right side. the biker intentionally rode in the middle of the left lane.

Then he is an asshole, and got what he deserved.

Then he is an asshole, and got what he deserved.

No, you're wrong.  The biker didn't deserve that.  His personal property was damaged by JayBar, the jerk.

The biker might have deserved the finger, or a dialogue of alternate bike paths ("move to the right, biker!"), but what JayBar described isn't acceptable and sounds criminal.

I've been on a bike for many years and haven't experienced anything like this.  Riding in the city streets seems risky and dangerous with many chances of traffic turbulence and a high potentials for JayBarJerks.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life