Who is the bigger jerk here? (Read 469 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

So I have a confession. To preface this, I rarely bike, I lived and or worked in Boston (in the city proper) for my entire life except for a few years in the Marines  and the last two. Bikers in Boston are assholes generally. Many of them that I came into contact with were bike messengers who, if you don't  have experience with them, appear to be, generally, white teens and 20 something societal outcasts that routinely flout rules of the road and behave in passive aggressive or aggressive behavior with motorists. So one weekend  day I'm heading back home on Cambridge St in Allston with my newlywed wife  and some bike messenger dude is peddling in the middle of the left lane hogging the road. It being Boston, the right lane is  partly blocked with illegally parked cars. So I honk at him to move over, he did not, just kept blocking the travel lane at 15 Mph or so. I finally pass going up over the pike and he gives me the finger. I give it back of course (it's Boston, that's what we do). It devolves to the point where he stops in front of me at a red light and puts his bike on its stand. I come out of my car fast seeing red, he steps back, so I picked his bike up and threw it over the fence where it landed on the masspike's breakdown lane. Got back in my car and drive off. Wife was none too happy I must say. So I voted for the hipster dude w/o watching the vid. Been there. Hipster dude is probably  a bike messenger or close relative.

If this is a joke, ha, nice.

If this is true, you're a bigger asshole than the bike guy who assholedly stopped in front of you.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Why is it sideways?

Yesterday, after an hour in the post-office [which as always was its own minor fiasco] a guy cut me off as I was leaving the post-office parking lot. He was driving some huge freaking pickup truck and just sorta dared me to crash into him the way that people do when they feel like being assholes.

I got really mad for a second and then I realized why the fuck do I care, turned the radio to Lightening 100 and rocked out to sweet jams and commercials for diamond rings all the way the my house.

Joann Y

Yesterday, after an hour in the post-office [which as always was its own minor fiasco] a guy cut me off as I was leaving the post-office parking lot. He was driving some huge freaking pickup truck and just sorta dared me to crash into him the way that people do when they feel like being assholes.

I got really mad for a second and then I realized why the fuck do I care, turned the radio to Lightening 100 and rocked out to sweet jams and commercials for diamond rings all the way the my house.

Hopefully you didn't inadvertently offend the guy. Sounds like you got the perfect set-up for a Stephen King movie...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_(1971_film)

MTA: (maybe that wasn't King. whatever, you get the idea)

dennrunner

Are you not feeling well?

Why is it sideways?

bhearn

Lightening?

Why is it sideways?

Well, it always feels more like a lightening 100 to me.

SillyC

That's an awful lot of F words for Boston!

There is one thing I've learned living in Boston. Just because someone is driving in the town they grew up in doesn't mean they know where they are going or what the traffic signs say. This guy is a good example of that.

Really, one thing I've learned about Massachusetts?   There are the rules of the road..... then the unwritten rules of the road.  I haven't quite figured out the unwritten ones yet.  Maybe there are some unwritten ones about bike lanes?

Lightening?

Never mind that. People still go to the Post Office?

xhristopher

That's an awful lot of F words for Boston!

Really, one thing I've learned about Massachusetts?   There are the rules of the road..... then the unwritten rules of the road.  I haven't quite figured out the unwritten ones yet.  Maybe there are some unwritten ones about bike lanes?

Once you learn them driving becomes somewhat predictable and easy.

When my wife moved to MA she was a grad student and had NY plates on her car for about 6 months. The way we were treated by other drivers improved dramatically when we finally got MA plates on it.

Here's a video of a talking boat: http://youtu.be/38v51JvIv0A

Why is it sideways?

Never mind that. People still go to the Post Office?

That's what I told my wife, but she said I had to go anyways to send these things called Christmas presents by the U.S. Mail to relatives scattered all over the dadgum place.

I don't believe in Christmas, but you couldn't have told it from how I stood in that line, filled out the customs forms, gave my best guess to the weights and values, and didn't even lie too much about what was in the boxes.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                          SillyC

Once you learn them driving becomes somewhat predictable and easy.

When my wife moved to MA she was a grad student and had NY plates on her car for about 6 months. The way we were treated by other drivers improved dramatically when we finally got MA plates on it.

Here's a video of a talking boat: http://youtu.be/38v51JvIv0A

THAT boat is hilarious!  Thanks!

We've mostly figured them out, but still find it amusing.

We've moved here from Jersey, and I think the cursing culture has been hard to adjust to.  People in Jersey curse a lot.  I initially thought that calling someone a Masshole was a really nice thing to say.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

THAT boat is hilarious!  Thanks!

We've mostly figured them out, but still find it amusing.

We've moved here from Jersey, and I think the cursing culture has been hard to adjust to.  People in Jersey curse a lot.  I initially thought that calling someone a Masshole was a really nice thing to say.

We get awfully tired of Massholes in Maine, but I guess we need them for their tourist dollars.

CT JEFF

This summer, I was in the cross walk to go to the Hospital. This POC pickup clearly had no intention of stopping for a pedestrian. So, I altered my route. I yelled at the guy, "Pedestrians have the right of way!" - His response was something like, "no dey dont mang". Its sad that so many drivers dont know the laws / choose to ignore laws / choose to be assholes. At the end of the day, right or wrong,  it comes down to, IS THIS WORTH THE FIGHT?

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!