Worst or Funniest Running Story (Read 849 times)

The Greatest of All Time

Describe either your worst or funniest running experience... I was out in the country 5 miles from home. I felt a couple of gurgles, and needed to have a sit down. No toilet in sight. Squatted in a cornfield and thank god I had a t-shirt to use because I often run in the summer without one. Honorable Mention: Showed up for a race at Indiana Dunes Park (The Zoy Run) in November 1997 still drunk from the night before. Sat in the car drinking beer before the race. It's an 8 mile trail run and you have to run through a couple of waist deep creeks...sobered right up.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Funniest: Naked Mile Worst: I've had so many shit/hurl-related running escapades that it's too difficult to pick one.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

My legs are killing me

The first race I ever ran was a 5k. Of course they gave me a timing chip and I had no idea what it was for and no idea where to put it. So I attached it to my bib with a safety pin. Needless to say the chip never registered and I have no recorded time for my first race. duh Dead

The Greatest of All Time

Funniest: Naked Mile
          Sort of reminds me of that scene in Old School, but instead of one streaker it was a sword fight, literally. Great story though!
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

My best story came in Early October I think my sophomore year of college. We were running through a quarry, and found a spot where we decided it was a good idea to "hop" down about 30 feet of sand. Basically, part of the cliff edge eroded to the point where there was a steep decline, and hopping down was fun and all. We got back up to the top, decided collectively it was good nobody got their ankles twisted or hurt in any way, and that it was time to run back to the school. One guy looks over the edge in a different part of the cliff, and says, "There's a lot of sand down there. I bet it would be a pretty soft landing." I told him that he'd be a bigger man if he didn't jump, we all turned around and started running back to the school, and we heard a scream from what sounded like a 10-year-old girl. We turned around and Mark was gone. We ran to the bottom, where he had landed in the sand, which immediately compacted and became as hard as cement. This was probably about a 20 foot drop at that point. A couple guys ran back to the school for a car while the rest of us carried him over a fence and a river to the nearest point the road came to the quarry, brought him to the emergency room, and learned that I was right. He compacted his vertebrae about 3 millimeters, so he was actually shorter now than he had been. He would have actually been a bigger man had he not jumped. For Naked Stories: We used to do naked relays every few months in college during or after a party. 9 people were involved - 4 men, 4 women, and whoever was soberest to drive. Kinda like a beer mile, except you only do one lap and your naked, men vs women. It was always fun, since the guys usually like to tuck in right behind the women so the race is always close. One year, a few were a bit less sober than usual (which is saying something) and one of the ladies started rolling around in the grass on the infield. At the same time, one of the guys was relieving herself. I don't think she realized that it hadn't started raining for a bit since she was still laughing and rolling around and he was just so dumbfounded that it didn't occur to him to stop or to turn. That's the same guy that used to be "Super Captain Naked Man" and do his solo streaking with the sole intent of getting the fat campus safety guys to chase him. One time it took 8 laps of the apartment complex (about 1/2 mile to the lap) before they did, in 40 degree weather. All he had on was a cape, a mask that went over and around his eyes, and running shoes.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Worst: I've had so many shit/hurl-related running escapades that it's too difficult to pick one.
              I thought it was called blowing mud?

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

JakeKnight

Funniest: Naked Mile
                What's your PR? How'd you place in your age group? Good crowd support?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Lazy idiot

You aren't going to ask about a medal?!? that's all that really matters, anyway.

Tick tock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I thought it was called blowing mud?
                    Good catch, Lank. It goes by many names, but the result is always the same -- never pretty.
                    Oddly, the crowd seem much more supportive when the ladies went by -- they didn't pay me much mind. They did seem to feel my pain when I wiped out, though. You can find all of the time and AG placement info at dilligaf.com

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

After my first 20 mile race, I went to a 7-11 to pick up some drinks and chips. I had a short conversation with this dude in front of me at the checkout that went as follows. Dude: “How you doing man?” modal: “I am okay” Dude: “You been painting houses today” modal: “No, that is salt” My face was covered in salt!

Vim

Last summer, during one of my trail runs when I FIRST started running outside, I fell ill to the first ever attack of runner's intestinal issues. I was horrified and had to make a decision FAST. So I started walking into the woods to pick my spot. Did the awful deed, no toiletries or anything! Then, as I came out of the woods and back onto the trail, I quickly spotted another person coming towards me on the trail. I tried to play it cool and say "hi" as i passed her, but she didnt want ti have anything to do with me. I think she saw my awful deed! I've never felt so ashamed for dessecrating a county park!! No
                        JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

I think my worst moment was when I was running down (two years ago) down a busy street in my town. I had one of my running skirts on and was trying to get used to running with a fanny pack/water bottle holder that I was intending to use during a HM that I was training for. I was starting to notice that people were looking as they drove by and I just thought that they must have been giving me 'jealousy' looks because it was a beautiful day and I was so lucky to be out running and they were stuck in a car going wherever they were going. "Sucks to be you" was running through my mind and I was feeling good! Then my DH drove by, which hardly ever happens, and I saw him pull over a few hundred feet off the road and get out his truck. I was thinking that something terrible had happened for him to come find me. So I picked up my "one-pace speed" and when I finally reached him I could tell that he was doubled over with laughter. The humor was caused from the fact that my skirt had twisted up AROUND my fanny pack! Yikes. I had been flashing the whole neighborhood! Of course I was commando and the pink mesh was not helping matters. It was horrible! I adjusted and thanked DH for saving me any further humiliation. Needless to say, I had 6 miles more to go and I checked my skirt every two steps. I think I may have told this story before but it fits the subject to a tee! Wink Jilly
                          "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                            We need to know how far you had gone in flash mode. That's a great one.
                            JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

We need to know how far you had gone in flash mode. That's a great one.
                              Hmm.......well I was 2 miles from my house and I don't know when the wrap around officially started...... Confused I am just lucky that DH drove by or it might have been the entire 8 miles! Shocked
                              "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

Cause I CAN

Usually the ones that involve me doubled over ready to puke Dead
                                Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                                http://terri7291.blogspot.com/