Too Slow Jake!!!!! (Read 702 times)

I hear my coach say that at the halfway point of most of my races, both track and cross country. I always start out too slow, but manage to push it in the second helf for a decent time. Any tips on going out stronger?

Go Pre!

how long are these races? are you warming up with some easy miles first?

Slow-smooth-fast

Since starting my base training I never really realised the importance of warming up properly. When I race 5ks or 10ks I used to just run up and down a little, barely covering any distance or getting warm. Now when I warm up it takes about 2 - 3 miles before I am ready to run well. Take for example the other day, I went out for a run/walk for a friend who is getting started with running. We covered 8 miles, though when I left him, I went for a run on my own. When I left him I felt like I was as fast as the wind, and ready to go for it, if it hadnt been for the Low Heart Rate training I would have knocked out some fast miles. Though it is important to note however that the six miles I then covered were the fastest under my MAF since beginning the program.Just goes to show that I was really nicely warmed up and it helped.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

sorry. their 5k races (3.1mi) well, i run for a team, and we are required to run a 15 minute warmup. does that mean i should run more than they do?

Go Pre!

Give it try, A 20-30 minute 'easy' run would be worth it, pending you are getting training runs of this time/length in. Dave

Go Pre!

Give it try, A 20-30 minute 'easy' run would be worth it, pending you are getting training runs of this time/length in. Dave
                I'd try a little more than 15 minutes... maybe 20-30 minutes at an easy pace like dave said.
                  I'd try a little more than 15 minutes... maybe 20-30 minutes at an easy pace like dave said.
                  I used to think that theory was risky, thinking I'd tire out, but I have found that warming up longer helped a lot. My body seems to find it's stride and comfort around mile 4. Confused So doing a longer warm up has helped me start off stronger with races and tempo runs.

Michelle