25,000 miles later (Read 876 times)

mikeymike

So it appears that about 120 miles ago--which would have been around the week of Feb 20th I guess--I logged my 25,000th mile on RunningAhead since 2002.  Actually not all of those were logged on RA since I don't think it even existed in 2002, but Eric Smile was good enough to import my Coolrunning (blech) log a back around 2006 or so, and every mile since then has been logged right here.  Give or take.

This is what 25,000 miles over 10 years looks like:

My graph

That's a lot of running in circles, going nowhere.  You can see I took a little hiatus there from the 2nd half of 2004 until the middle of 2006.  And I'm kind of in a big slump right now and overdue for one of those clumps of 300 mile months that usually go before a period of decent racing.  But hey.  I've stayed on the road and kept at it.  So there's that.

In honor of this momentous accomplishment I will now hit the Donate button to the tune of $25,000--a dollar per mile.

(Okay not really but you should feel free to.)

Runners run

Mikey that's a really impressive body of work and an encouragement to keep at it.  Thank you. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Why is it sideways?

Should we call you Long Run Mikey?

From a while back...

... In the spirit of the holidays I have been inspired to share a gift as well, with newbies and veteran runners alike. Since credentials seem important here, I have posted on RA for 18+ months.

My message/gift to you. Speed the hell up. Run like your hair is on fire. I have been running consistently over the last 36 or so years (slightly less time than I've been walking) virtually all of it injury free. I attribute all of it to occasionally blazing; utterly abandoning all reason and sanity and getting down to a primal level of predator or prey.

Yes, I race--from here to the mailbox and back, around the dining room table, and from 40m to the marathon. Sometimes I even challenge a pack of local kids to race me on their BMX bikes. Sure, most of my running is at an easy pace, but it's far from gentle. Well, sometimes it is. Sometimes it's not.

Make it a goal to make your own goals. Running for 10--20--30 years may be important to you. But for some of us, occasionally shaking hands with our inner beast and making the well fed neighbors scowl disapprovingly as we blow foolishly into a hellish kick with yet more than half a mile to go in a random, ho-hum, hello-how-do-you-do-8-miler just to see if we still can feel pain? Well, that is what makes all those dates with The Road worthwhile in the first place.

Run slow to run fast, but for the love of all that is holy run fast. Insanely fast. Foolishly fast.

Did I mention it works? This year I will have logged more miles than Jeff, aka JTH, aka The Philosopher. Which is really all that matters. I am not as fast as I was in the 80's but I'm getting there.

Make your motto whatever you want your motto to be. Start easy, then run like you stole something.

Remember--there are lots of finish lines. Boatloads of them, really.

Mike.

xor

I'm calling you Around The World Mikey.

(circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,900ish miles give or take)

jfa

Nice going Mikey. Love the attitude dude.

25,000 miles in only 10 years?  Bastard!

(And really impressive.)

That should be a blog title. Has a nice ring to it.

Nice work fun. 

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Really inspiring! As a relatively new runner (3 years) I love to see this stuff.  Although I mostly lurk on here, I lurk very actively, every day. So even though you don't know me, I feel like I know all of the regulars on here and you folks have given me a ton of help in so many ways! Keep it going! I'm sure there are many, many more like me that get their healthy dose of motivation here.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

That's pretty inspiring Mike! 

Now, best of luck getting out of your slump!

dsocha

Ra Due Runner

Now that is cool... Nice piece of work.

Goals

Log 1500

13.1 under 1:40  1:30

26.2 under 3:45  3:15

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Yeah, really amazing.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Not bad for a hobbyjogger, keep it rollin' kid.

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

xor

You should get a Sweet Jacket for running around the world.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Nice.  

steph