XC training for a breakthrough season (Read 72 times)

Enceladus

Leo

I am Leo and I am going to be a senior in high school. I want to have the best cross country season of my life this fall. So far, this track season has been alright but not quite what I was looking for. I have recorded season bests of 4:49 in the 1600 and 10:16 in the 3200. Last XC season, my first race was a 16:46 but I never improved from that the entire season. It came off a summer where we met our new coach in June and he basically started us off at ground zero, like 20 miles a week. That wasn't suitable for me, and over the summer he really only had us build to 40 mpw, so I lacked a strong aerobic base going into the season. This summer, I'm looking to take more control over my training (and NOT start from ground zero). My plan is to build to 60-70 mpw, with strides, tempo runs (once a week), long runs (once a week at 20-25% of weekly mileage), and general strength sessions (twice a week).  I also plan to double once a week and then either take Sundays as a short, slow easy day or completely off. With this plan that I created through research and knowledge that I have developed for running, I hope to run consistently under 17 minutes this XC season and record a PR under 16:30. Knowing that I have only been running for four years and still may be lacking proper experience to derive a personal training regimen, are there any aspects of this that must be tweaked? Also, what pace should I be looking at for my tempo runs (if I am looking to improve my locate threshold), if the Jack Daniels VDOT calculator tells me that "threshold" pace is around 5:45-5:50? I am aware of the differences between the anaerobic, lactate, and aerobic thresholds, but which will benefit me most for the 5K distance and still set me up for a proper peak during my championship races? Any advice is welcome!

Other potentially useful thoughts:

Ultimately I would like to make enough progress to earn a spot on a Division 2 college team.

My watch says my VO2 max is 65 (using a heart rate monitor).

I am running a half marathon this summer.

Future marathon runner.
    "Doubts kill more dreams than failure ever will"
    Current PR's as of May 13, 2017:
    800: 2:13
    1600: 4:49
    3200: 10:13
    5K: 16:46
    10K: 38:46
    15K: 1:00:00
    Half Marathon: 1:25:15
    Marathon: soon!

runnershawn

Hey Leo,

Just be careful when you are building up to 70.  Dont worry about the exact pace on the tempo (yet) .  Maybe do your first around 6 pace and see how goes. I would stay to slower side of the vdot paces in your buildup.   Every other week try the Moneghetti Fartlek - good description from Nate Jenkins blog: http://nateruns.blogspot.com/2015/01/monaghetti-fartlek.html

Run it on the same course and see if you get further.  At least once a week do a few hill sprints at an end of a run (short10-15 seconds walk down and rest)   Tempo hill repeats would be goo too.    Also let your coach know Smile  Good Luck let us know how it goes.

I am Leo and I am going to be a senior in high school. I want to have the best cross country season of my life this fall. So far, this track season has been alright but not quite what I was looking for. I have recorded season bests of 4:49 in the 1600 and 10:16 in the 3200. Last XC season, my first race was a 16:46 but I never improved from that the entire season. It came off a summer where we met our new coach in June and he basically started us off at ground zero, like 20 miles a week. That wasn't suitable for me, and over the summer he really only had us build to 40 mpw, so I lacked a strong aerobic base going into the season. This summer, I'm looking to take more control over my training (and NOT start from ground zero). My plan is to build to 60-70 mpw, with strides, tempo runs (once a week), long runs (once a week at 20-25% of weekly mileage), and general strength sessions (twice a week).  I also plan to double once a week and then either take Sundays as a short, slow easy day or completely off. With this plan that I created through research and knowledge that I have developed for running, I hope to run consistently under 17 minutes this XC season and record a PR under 16:30. Knowing that I have only been running for four years and still may be lacking proper experience to derive a personal training regimen, are there any aspects of this that must be tweaked? Also, what pace should I be looking at for my tempo runs (if I am looking to improve my locate threshold), if the Jack Daniels VDOT calculator tells me that "threshold" pace is around 5:45-5:50? I am aware of the differences between the anaerobic, lactate, and aerobic thresholds, but which will benefit me most for the 5K distance and still set me up for a proper peak during my championship races? Any advice is welcome!

Other potentially useful thoughts:

Ultimately I would like to make enough progress to earn a spot on a Division 2 college team.

My watch says my VO2 max is 65 (using a heart rate monitor).

I am running a half marathon this summer.

Enceladus

Leo

Okay thanks! I will try that Fartlek workout. There are literally no hills where I live, but I will try to get over to my local overpass and run hill sprints!

Hey Leo,

Just be careful when you are building up to 70.  Dont worry about the exact pace on the tempo (yet) .  Maybe do your first around 6 pace and see how goes. I would stay to slower side of the vdot paces in your buildup.   Every other week try the Moneghetti Fartlek - good description from Nate Jenkins blog: http://nateruns.blogspot.com/2015/01/monaghetti-fartlek.html

Run it on the same course and see if you get further.  At least once a week do a few hill sprints at an end of a run (short10-15 seconds walk down and rest)   Tempo hill repeats would be goo too.    Also let your coach know Smile  Good Luck let us know how it goes.

Future marathon runner.
        "Doubts kill more dreams than failure ever will"
        Current PR's as of May 13, 2017:
        800: 2:13
        1600: 4:49
        3200: 10:13
        5K: 16:46
        10K: 38:46
        15K: 1:00:00
        Half Marathon: 1:25:15
        Marathon: soon!

A local high school student came in sixth at state.  He had multiple offers for full ride scholarships after the college coaches found that he had trained only 30 miles per week, and only ran six months out of the year.  He played hockey in winter.

One coach explained that he would much rather start with a 30 MPW runner who came in sixth than a 70 MPW runner who came in first at state.  The 70 MPW runner had nowhere to go in college.  The 30 MPW runner had a solid base, had performed well enough to show his potential, and had room to significantly improve given the resources available in college.  The coach was right.  The student went to college and set several school records.

This is anecdotal based on what the student's father told me, so take it for what it's worth.

Ben Obert

The fact that your first race last season was your best intrigues me. Was that by far the easiest course? Did you get injured mid-season? I would suspect that you peaked too early in the season & this prevented you from reaching your full potential.

My advice would be:

1 - find your strengths & work on them. John McDonnell, the Arkansas XC/Track coach who won 42 national championships, said "It is easier to develop the 90 percent than focusing on the 10 percent weakness... So when you work on a strong point of a kid and get 10 percent of 90 percent that is a lot more than 10 percent of 10 percent, which is virtually nothing."

2 - decide what you are aiming for. Is your principal goal a good XC season? How much do you care about making D2? Gear your training toward your main goal.

3 - develop good upper body strength. A former coach of mine would tell me that your arms carry you in XC. Do pushups & situps everyday - it helps a LOT!

Otherwise, I would just say to keep your priorities straight & have fun!