Returning from brief layoff (Read 619 times)

ud32

I was starting to train around 7/1 for a fall half marathon. I like to do 3 weeks of increasing mileage 10%-15% then a cut back week. After 6 weeks I tweaked my calf and had to take time off and then reduce mileage to come back.  My weekly mileage was 11, 13, 14, 8, 15, 16, 11 (tweaked calf this week), 2, and 9. Calf feels fine.

Question: What targets do i set for total weekly mileage now ? Do I have to increase by 10% -15% from the 9 milesI did last week or can I shoot for a 15 mile week next and then progress from there ?

Unless your super injury prone I'd think at your mileage you can increase alot more than just 10-15% a week. That's like one mile per week, maybe two. Seems like you run maybe 3 or 4 times a week, so I'd just focus on adding days until your up to 6 or 7. If you add an extra day, and the week feels like it's tough then maybe stay a second week at the same days as the tough week before adding another.

After your running consistently most days of the week you can start adding on mileage. You kinda have to know yourself though, some people can jump right in to 30 or 40 miles a week no problem, for others a rapid transition to a mileage like that from no or minimal running can cause injury. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."