Motivation (Read 769 times)

yellowrunning

Hey Guys. I'm just curious what you do when you know you need to get out there and run but you just DON"T feel like it? Shy

Menace to Sobriety

Go anyway. I can safely say that after every run, I'm always glad I went, even if it was the last thing I wanted to do beforehand. If I'm feeling particularly lazy, I just don't put any limits on it, except maybe 20 minutes. Its amazing how many times I hit the door thinking "just 20 min and I'll be done" and wind up running for over an hour.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

xor

Yup. If you just feel blah, GO ANYWAY. When this happens to me, I tell myself that I'll go out and check in with myself at 2 miles. If I still feel off, I'll either change the focus of my workout to 'easy run', or I'll come home. But usually? I feel fine after my 2 mile warm up. Now, if you are sick, "it depends". Also, trying to prioritize running against real life issues can get tricky. You have to make these calls for yourself. There was a time in my life... a long period, actually... when I could do no physical activity beyond "wash my breakfast dish" and "take a shower". Whenever I feel blah these days, I remember that time. And I go out and run.

A blogger I read has a saying: "Everything sucks for the first ten minutes. After that, it's usually ok." On the days I don't want to run, I say this to myself.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Prince of Fatness

I run after work. There are plenty of times, after a hard day, that I don't feel like going out. I just force myself out the door, and when I get back 99% of the time I feel better. Getting yourself out the door is the hardest part. It gets easier from there.

Not at it at all. 

I think of my next race. And then I think of the guy who I'm going to out-sprint at the finish. And then I think, "If I sit on the couch today, that guy is going to do his workout. And then he will be the one who out-sprints me at the finish." And then I picture his smug look of satisfaction when he passes me. And then I go run, and practice my smug look.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I agree, how about that Big grin, just go most of the time the hardest part is starting. I have never regretted a decision to go run but I have felt guilty for taking an extra dayoff or cutting a run short.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I usually go anyway - but I have this one mile circle that starts and ends at my house...and on days that I just have no motivation I usually start with that circle...so that after I have gotten warmed up and if I still dont have the motiviation, then I assume that I need a day off, so Ill stop running as I swing by the house - go in the house - grab a beer and pop the top - enjoy the day off from running..... Usually I end up getting in my run, but sometime that beer is awfully good for me.... Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

I put on my running clothes. Then if I don't go out I just feel stupid. Not wanting to feel like an idiot is the best way to get me out of the door when I really don't want to.
                    You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
                    mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Couple other good threads on this, with some good ideas for helping you get yourself out the door. Try some, and find what works for you (maybe different ones at different times)... http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/145fbb7344794388bfdc9bc35e7c1dd3/0 and http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/f6d8c150f2a840a294c548e77bf3f41f#focus Like the others said, getting out there is the trick. Once you start putting one foot in front of the other on the road, you've already accomplished the hardest part.
                        yellowrunning

I think of my next race. And then I think of the guy who I'm going to out-sprint at the finish. And then I think, "If I sit on the couch today, that guy is going to do his workout. And then he will be the one who out-sprints me at the finish." And then I picture his smug look of satisfaction when he passes me. And then I go run, and practice my smug look.
                          I LOVE THIS! haha
                          yellowrunning

Roses Revenge

On the days I really don't want to go out, I walk two blocks up the hill to the bus stop and take the bus to whatever distance I don't want to do that day. When I get off the bus, I run home. I know myself well enough to know that I'm very unlikely to get back on the bus to go home.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

erendis

how about motivation to get up super early to run before work? what do you do to shrug off the sleepiness and get going?
                                I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso