Race Day Boost? (Read 598 times)

Hey all, I was wondering whether anyone else gets a big boost on race day, just from the excitement, and if so, how much of one? I train regularly, and once in a while I try to do intervals at race pace as preparation. Often times, I do this the week before a race to kind of predict where I am and how fast I should try to go out. For example, before my last race, I did 3 x 1 mile. I tried running as hard as I could without sprinting, and ran a 7:10, 7:30, and 8:00 successively, with 1:30 break between each. The following weekend, I ran my 5k, and ran a 21:31, which is 6:56 pace. I couldn't have ran 6:56 once during my intervals, but was able to run the whole race at that pace. This happens all the time to me. I feel like I can only do a certain pace, but on race day, I'll go alot faster. Afterwards, I'll typically struggle to run that pace again, until my next race. My friends, who I train with, say they don't really experience that very much. They might do a little better, but is isn't a huge difference. I mean, 15 seconds per mile is pretty significant in a 5k! I find it odd because my effort feels equally hard, but on race day, performance just steps up somehow. What are your experiences with race day performance vs. regular (hard) days? How much difference do you see? Do you still get excited on race day, or is it just another race?
    mikeymike

Yup. Always. I can easily hit a pace in races that I can't touch in training or if I can it feels like everything I've got. Even if I don't "feel" excited about the race, there are always an extra few gears just because it's a race. I don't know about 15 seconds per mile, but I see a big boost. If I was to do that workout--3 x mile at 5K pace--I wouldn't even aim for the pace I jut raced a 5K this past sunday--I'd probably try to do the first one about 10 secs slower than Sunday's 5K pace, then work down from there.

Runners run

Burninated Peasant

I do typically get a boost from a race, but not quite like that. I've always taken very well to intervals for some reason, and I don't typically find myself running a race much faster than my fastest intervals. In fact, my 5k PR pace is around 6:12, but a recent 4x1 mile workout included times ranging from 5:50 to 5:56. Granted, that's a soft PR, but I doubt I would be able to run a 5k any faster than the combined times from that workout.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The 3x1 mile is a good predictor workout for a 5k, but usually with more recovery than you're doing (like 3~4 minutes easy jog instead of 1:30). I'm not that surprised by the difference between your interval pace and your race pace. I imagine it's because it's just plain hard to push yourself in practice. It's much more difficult to run those 3x1 mile by yourself than it is to run with a pack of people. If you have a local running club, you may be able to do speed workouts with people of a similar pace. A little competition always helps (but not on rest days!) I don't know if you have a heart rate monitor, but I'll bet if you could compare your heart rate during those intervals to your race HR, you'd find your interval HR to be slower. I think the difference is mental, not physical. It's just easier to slow down/run slower/quit/not push yourself as hard running solo as compared to running with/in competition.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Top 10 (+1) things that make me run faster on race day: 1. Adrenaline rush. 2. Running in a crowd. 3. Running with people who are faster than me. 4. Knowing that a rest day always follows a race day. 5. Wearing a bib. 6. Cheering spectators. 7. Knowing that this will go on my permanent record. 8. Water tables on the course. 9. Having paid to run; not wanting to waste my money. 10. Knowing that I will be asked about my time by friends. 11. Knowing that Trent will read my log. Wink

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Top 10 (+1) things that make me run faster on race day: 1. Adrenaline rush. 2. Running in a crowd. 3. Running with people who are faster than me. 4. Knowing that a rest day always follows a race day. 5. Wearing a bib. 6. Cheering spectators. 7. Knowing that this will go on my permanent record. 8. Water tables on the course. 9. Having paid to run; not wanting to waste my money. 10. Knowing that I will be asked about my time by friends. 11. Knowing that Trent will read my log. Wink
              BINGO! The biggest part are all the bunnies I run with...who can I catch up to? who can I pace? who can I pass? uh. but I don't think Trent's reading my log, LOL.

Jennifer mm#1231

Jeffrey

Boost: definitely. The misc. aches and pains that nag me in training seem to disappear race-day. My head feels different; senses more acute. Focused.
                Hey all, I was wondering whether anyone else gets a big boost on race day, just from the excitement, and if so, how much of one?
                I just started keeping track of my interval workouts. Curious to see where it takes me. I had a hard time picturing myself running fast times ... seeing my interval pace helps me visualize running fast; helpful for me when considering my next 5k race. Smile
                I train regularly, and once in a while I try to do intervals at race pace as preparation.
                Jeffrey

I like no. 3. Even though they are usually out of my sight within the first 1/4 mile. Smile