Its all downhill from here.... (Read 606 times)

For the first time, while running the Columbus marathon Sunday I found myself getting pissed at the spectators towards the end of the race. The crowd support was awesome..but probably my mindset contributed to my annoyance but... "Just 1/4 mile til the 23 mark" " Its all downhill from here" "Only a 5k left" "Finish is just around the corner" None of these statements were true--they almost never are. This time I knew it...since Ive run this one a few times. But I had to fight the urge not to cuss at the spectators. I appreciate their intent..but for me, there is nothing worse--than someone telling you its all downhill--and you turn the corner and its a long uphill. Or in la late race fog, you believe you are just around the corner to the finish but have to plosd another 3/4 mile. Or that you really are about to hit the waterstop that the spectator tells you is there. My question is--am I alone here? BTW..the race was much better than my last one a month ago..not quite there but given my base, I'll take it. Improved 1/2 hour over Dayton..Gonna train my best for Vegas in December and break through the 5 hr barrier.
      Its annoying, I agree, but you just have to tune it out. The spectators are just trying to be clever or funny, or to distract you from internalizing too much. Some runners probably chuckle or smile when they see those kinds of signs that are obviously wrong -- I'm not one of them, but I try not to let it bother me. Most of the spectators aren't runners and can't empathize with the annoyance that many runners feel about getting wrong information. I know there was a local newspaper article prior to the Chicago Marathon specifically stating not to do this, but not everyone is going to get the message. Beside, at the end of the day the spectators aren't there to give you course distance and time information ... that's your job. When I spectate a race I always try to give helpful information, such as distance to the next mile marker, distance to the next water table, or in smaller races, placement information to the top 10 men and women.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Go Pre!

Derek, I agree with you, but have learned to ignore their sentiments for these reasons. I have run Columbus - nice event, good crowd. And coincidentally, I will be running Vegas this year. See you there!
          Normally it doesnt bug me. This time I was quite annoyed, even though I had a good feel for the course. Not sure why. They modified the course--I think its a big improvement. That long uphill after the halfway point is gone and replaced with winding through campus--the uphill portion didnt seem bad at all. Wish I had some left in the tank, because, well..it really was pretty much 'all downhill' the last few miles..or at least a significant net downhill stretch.

Best Present Ever

I found myself annoyed during the Baltimore marathon with the number of times I was told "last hill! it's all downhill from here!" Fortunately, I knew the course and knew that they were wrong (well, all but the last group), but I assume that most of the folks around me didn't know that.
            kcam

I'll laugh or smile if someone has a pretty good line (intentional or not) but that's about the extent of any reaction I have. I think spectators at a marathon know you are in distress and for the most part just want to help by either being funny or being, what they think is, encouraging. I notice that in half marathons and below you never hear that kind of stuff. The spectators are mostly just silent unless they see someone they know.
              seeEricaRun

Awesome

Normally it doesn't bug me. This time I was quite annoyed, even though I had a good feel for the course. Not sure why.
                I get irritable about it too when my blood sugar gets low. Generally, it doesn't bother me. They don't know any better, and they're just trying to help, and I appreciate having them there. The best Gu barometer for me is: "You can do it!" I mean, no shit I can f-ing do it, because I AM out here doing it. YOU get your ass out here and see how it feels. Yeah, Erica, definitely Gu time.
                xor

Usually it doesn't bother me, but sometimes it does. Usually it doesn't. The spectator trying to be funny at M1 of a marathon saying "almost there!" or those rare spectators (or occasionally themed water spots) near M20 who try reverse psychology with "the wall is going to eat you up!"... those things annoy me a lot more than the well-meaning-but-wrong "it's all downhill from here" towards the end. Try not to let it bother you. That said, when I go back through my race reports, I see myself mentioning "it's all downhill from here!" wrongness a lot more than I expected. Embarrassed

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

At Grandfather Mountain Marathon a couple years ago, I got to the fluid station at mile 19 and all the volunteers there had made signs saying that it was mile 18. They didn't know any better. But at mile 19 of that race, man, what a mind screw.
                    xor

At Grandfather Mountain Marathon a couple years ago, I got to the fluid station at mile 19 and all the volunteers there had made signs saying that it was mile 18. They didn't know any better. But at mile 19 of that race, man, what a mind screw.
                      HA! That happened to me on Saturday at Breakers. About 100 yards past M22 was an aid station with signs and volunteers welcoming us to the mile 23 aid station. BOOOO. But, perhaps because I was feeling fine, it didn't really bug me. Edited to add: oh wait. In your case, they backed you up a mile. In my case, they advanced me a phantom mile. Hmmm. If I was in a bad mood, I wonder which one would affect me worse.

#artbydmcbride

I always believe the ones who yell "Looking good!" Big grin Blush

Runners run

the first time it happened to me was at the Parkersburg half marathon. I only had about 2.5 to go but somebody told me that thing about all down hill and yeah...I was mad when I got to a couple of hills... after that I just ignore what they say and am happy they are trying to root me on... Blush Oh because all the spectators came to see me and only me...
                            I forgot one that annoys me.. "Way to go walkers!!" I may not look it at the moment, but damnit, Im a runner!
                              The most annoying comment I heard was on my first race, a 10 miler with a huge hill about 2 miles from the finish. I was the last male runner on the course (had a couple of old ladies behind me). I have not seen another runner since about the half way mark and at the base of this hill some volunteer said that "if I hurry up, I'll catch up with the rest of them", bugs me even after 3 years, don't know why, I am sure he was trying to encourage me.
                                What I like best is when someone calls out my number. It's rare, but I'll hear something like "keep it up, 1294!" LOL, yep, c'est moi Those people in M1 to M5 who yell "yer almost there!" (hyuck, hyuck).....too bad they don't realize how tired and old this joke is.