Forum Page Rollover Bug (Read 79 times)

xhristopher

I've noted two threads that get broken links from the forum overview page every time they roll over to a new page. They are:

Joann's lovely "Dogs Are A Person's Mom Is Acquisition Of A Good Of All" thread. (I know she didn't start it but I like to imagine she did.)

and

Julia's "2017 Boston Marathon Thread"

I know the initial post on Joann's thread was deleted, not censored, and it looks like she created the thread. Perhaps deleting a post from a thread messes up the post per page count and causes a bug that breaks the link from the forum overview.

I've noted two threads that get broken links from the forum overview page every time they roll over to a new page. They are:

Joann's lovely "Dogs Are A Person's Mom Is Acquisition Of A Good Of All" thread.

I'm surprised that thread didn't break the entire internet.

Dave

eric :)

Joann's lovely "Dogs Are A Person's Mom Is Acquisition Of A Good Of All" thread. (I know she didn't start it but I like to imagine she did.)

and

Julia's "2017 Boston Marathon Thread"

I know the initial post on Joann's thread was deleted, not censored, and it looks like she created the thread. Perhaps deleting a post from a thread messes up the post per page count and causes a bug that breaks the link from the forum overview.

Hi xhristopher,

Joann's post wasn't deleted because there is no delete mechanism, aside from the direct SQL delete, which I avoid doing.  Which links are broken?  And what symptoms are exhibited with the broken links?

eric Smile

xhristopher

Hi xhristopher,

Joann's post wasn't deleted because there is no delete mechanism, aside from the direct SQL delete, which I avoid doing.  Which links are broken?  And what symptoms are exhibited with the broken links?

eric Smile

So Joann really was the first post on that "Dogs" thread? Perhaps I'm wrong but I had assumed her post was a response to some spammy post. She can confirm. If so, somehow the post got deleted. It's also entirely possible she had too much to drink...

The link from the Forum Overview page gets broken when the thread rolls over to a new page. When you click on the link you are redirected back to the Forum Overview page. It's an endless loop. Once a second post gets added to the new page things work as normal until a new page is rolled over.

Let me bump that thread a few times and see if I can recreate the behavior and I'll report back with a link.

Prince of Fatness

So Joann really was the first post on that "Dogs" thread? Perhaps I'm wrong but I had assumed her post was a response to some spammy post. She can confirm. If so, somehow the post got deleted. It's also entirely possible she had too much to drink...

I read the original post.  It was not Joann.  I forget who it was but I did not recognize the ID.  Shortly after Joann posted a reply the OP disappeared.  I did not think that was possible.

But yes, there was an original post that was there and then just disappeared.

Not at it at all. 

xhristopher

I've recreated the bug.

Try to click the "Dogs are a Mom" thread on the Forum Overview and see what you get now.

If you enter the page via your last read post or browser history things will work but if you click under "Recent Topics" you will have no luck.

If someone comes along and bumps the thread this behavior will go away until a new page rolls over so here's the full link under Recent Topics: https://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/5079c3edb3154b1dbf9eab05455e661f#focus

Prince of Fatness

You recreated the bug, x.  Clicking on that thread takes me back to the main page.

Also, if you go to the Health and Nutrition page you'll see the OP of the Dogs thread listed there.

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/forum/4bdf0e39dc3040ce987b376ae1b3c4cb

Not at it at all. 

xhristopher

I read the original post.  It was not Joann.  I forget who it was but I did not recognize the ID.  Shortly after Joann posted a reply the OP disappeared.  I did not think that was possible.

So admins can't delete a post and Eric didn't do it .... Russian Hackers??

xhristopher

You recreated the bug, x.  Clicking on that thread takes me back to the main page.

Also, if you go to the Health and Nutrition page you'll see the OP of the Dogs thread listed there.

Yeah, I figured it might be a one off and of low importance on that random nonsense thread but then it's happening on the Boston 2017 thread. That thread is gonna go for the next 9-10 months so the issue will end up creating lots of confusion.

Joann Y

That should always be ruled out before other considerations. But I can assure you I was NOT hitting the bottle YET at 9 in the morning or whatever time that was. It's all a blur at this point.

Joann Y

Shoot, I was just starting to warm up to the idea that people might think I am a brilliant HILARIOUS lunatic!

eric :)

I think I may know what's going on.  It might have something to do with the anti spamming code I put in a while back.  I think the OP started this thread, and then Joann made a response.  The OP started a couple of more threads which triggered the anti spamming code.  I'll look into it.

xhristopher

The 2017 Boston Marathon thread is now locked due to this. If you follow this link you can get in: https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/cd5b109912dd4ee7a937dd9e59dc3be5/0

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The 2017 Boston Marathon thread is now locked due to this. If you follow this link you can get in: https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/cd5b109912dd4ee7a937dd9e59dc3be5/0

I could click right in from the forum homepage.

xhristopher

I could click right in from the forum homepage.

Yeah, because I've gone in and bumped it for the last two pages to keep the thread moving. The system thinks the 15th post on these pages is actually the first post on the next page causing the link from the forum page to be invalid. Bumping the thread from an earlier page gets it going again.