Probable ITBS, running and frisbee issues (Read 48 times)

blueberrysro

Advice really needed on what to do about my probable ITBS.

I've been running for more years than can remember and never had any problems until I ran a half-marathon last year and then couldn't walk for 3 days but with rest was fine again. Then last February I started incorporating some Ultimate Frisbee games into my cardio and ended up with a really sore splinter like pain around the side of my kneecaps.

Long story short I went to the GP, the physio and was only told to rest, do a quad stretch and clam shells. After these didn't work I upped it myself by adding foam rolling, leg raises etc but none of its helped. Now I'm 6 months on and it hurts to walk for more than 15 minutes. I'm back at uni in a few weeks and really want to get back to training but at the minute that is impossible. Its driving me crazy that I can't run even a meter

Anyone know any quick fixes for ITBS or have any other general advice?

Any advice is much appreciated, I'm just at a loss of what to do atm.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Can you go to your GP and get a referral to a sports doctor? If you can't walk more than 15 minutes, don't self-diagnose. You need to go find out what is really going on. .

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

kilkee

runktrun

IT Band issues are often due to core and hip instability/imbalances and not really an issue with the band itself.  Sports doc would be a good place to start and working with a good PT who will help you do the exercises PROPERLY.  You may need literal hands-on help to fire the right muscles to brace you core.  Another differential dx could be arthritis.  Irritation and inflammation under the kneecap could put pressure on lateral structures and result in pain there.  A good dose of nsaids should do the trick.

Also, try changing your routine.  If you've been sprinting on flat grass, try hilly trails.  Switched to neutral shoes?  Try something with more stability.  It sounds like Frisbee was your tipping point to injury.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

probably shouldn't use ultimate frisbee as a way to improve cardio as a distance runner. the sudden stops and starts and sharp turns can wreak havoc

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/