RA workout data does not match Garmin (Read 259 times)

The lap also included extra time though???

eric :)

The lap also included extra time though???

Hi Ben,

The data file contains a list of data points.  Each data point has a time stamp.  The data file may also contain a set of laps.  Each lap has a starting time and a duration.  You can then calculate the end time of each lap with these two values.  During the import process, the system matches every data point with the corresponding lap.  Occasionally, there is a set of data points at the end with time stamps after the end of the last lap.  Given that each data point has a time stamp, then it follows that they have an associated elapsed time.

The question you should be asking is why are there extra data points in the data.  I suspect it may be related to the GPS model.  I know that Suunto devices's lap data is suspect.  Garmin devices's data is more consistent, but it still might have this problem.  Ultimately, the lap data is generated by the device using the data points.  I don't know why the lap data does not reflect reality.  Such is the problem in software programming.  The file spec leaves sufficient ambiguity that we get into this sort of problems.

eric Smile

ap4

The Heart Rate Import data seems to be skewed as well.  My Avg HR for today's run was apparently 9 bpm.

toronosuke

Eric,

Thanks for taking care of the issue regarding the elapsed time vs actual run time! Ever since the issue with the elapsed time, I have another weird problem.

At the end of some of my run logs (not all), there'll be an extra interval (usually between a tenth or two tenths of a mile) with a logged time that does not show fraction of seconds (for example, it'll be 1:20 or 1:23, and never 1:20.56.) These intervals aren't showing up on my watch so I'm not sure what's going on. When I delete that interval, everything matches up with my watch data and uploaded data.

I've got a Forerunner 10.

Thanks!

At the end of some of my run logs (not all), there'll be an extra interval (usually between a tenth or two tenths of a mile) with a logged time that does not show fraction of seconds (for example, it'll be 1:20 or 1:23, and never 1:20.56.) These intervals aren't showing up on my watch so I'm not sure what's going on. When I delete that interval, everything matches up with my watch data and uploaded data.

I've got a Forerunner 10.

Thanks!

I saw something similar on last night's run. There is a .07 mile (33 second) lap that appears at the end of the run that did not coincide with me hitting the "lap" button or anything else as far as I know. This extra lap is also "extra" time. It doesn't match what's on the watch or shows up on Strava. The watch and Strava both show the total time being 1:12:37 (which is the total time that RA shows through the first 7 laps, not including the imaginary 8th lap).

I have a Forerunner 220.

Runners run

Same kind of thing here (also for 220). In my 8/4 workout, extra 0.12 mile / 1:07 lap at the end which is not on my watch. Note this was a programmed interval workout - maybe this makes a difference? I have not seen this in the two workouts since then, which were normal workouts with 1-mile autolap.

Dave

ap4

FWIW, my downloaded run today coincides perfectly with the Garmin 920.  No extra lap, HR data fits as well.

Note this was a programmed interval workout - maybe this makes a difference?

Interesting ... mine was too.

Runners run

ap4

Mine wasn't. Just out the door and run. 1 mile autolaps, 1 stop at a light near the end about .2 miles before the run ended.

djtulum

Push it to the limit!

Similar thing happened to me on my run today. I've got a forerunner 10, on my watch it showed 11.03 km in 1:00:18 all as one lap, but RA has tacked on another lap of 0.84 km in 4:36. This lap is not on the watch. I did stop the watch to use a washroom.

This happened to me today for the first time with my 220.  Correct in Garmin Connect, but added on that extra in RA which changed time and pace.  I know I got my watch stopped right at 6.6 and on RA it came up as 6.68 rounding up to 6.7.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Julia1971

Thought I'd chime in and say I'm having this problem, too.  I think it's been at least 3 runs in the last Wednesday.  Today it was an extra 0.46 miles in 3:45.  I could see how I may have had 3:45 in stoppage time for stop lights and water fountains, but I'm not understanding where the extra distance would be coming from.  I'm one of those runners that stands still and looks pissed at stop lights.  Smile

eric :)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into this issue.  The problem is that the lap data is in disagreement with the data points.  Could you send me the problematic data file(s), and describe the following:

- expected distance

- expected duration

- approximate stopped time

- anything else that's relevant.

I'll see if I can find out why there's a discrepancy.  Thanks!

eric Smile

ap4

Thanks for looking into this eric . How would you like the files sent? I can upload the tcx file which will duplicate the workouts. The manually uploaded files reflect the same data on Garmin Connect and the watch. The manually uploaded files show the correct HR and do not have the extra lap that the auto uploaded files do.

I emailed my Garmin .FIT file to support@runningahead.com.

Dave