Trail Running Shoes (Read 1072 times)

VandyMontana

Hello RA community. I am currently training for a marathon and and tired of running on asphalt, thus I have decided to hit the trails. I've never done trailwork, so I need some suggestions for trail shoes. I'm currently running in Saucony Guide 2's, a stability shoe for my mild overpronation. Runner's World had a look into trail shoes this month and I liked to look of the New Balance 875. So, I guess I'm asking what I should be looking for a in a trail shoe...comfort? fit? cushioning? stability? Looks? All of the above? THANKS!!!!
    http://running-with-wine.blogspot.com/

Right on Hereford...

Hello RA community. I am currently training for a marathon and and tired of running on asphalt, thus I have decided to hit the trails. I've never done trailwork, so I need some suggestions for trail shoes. I'm currently running in Saucony Guide 2's, a stability shoe for my mild overpronation. Runner's World had a look into trail shoes this month and I liked to look of the New Balance 875. So, I guess I'm asking what I should be looking for a in a trail shoe...comfort? fit? cushioning? stability? Looks? All of the above? THANKS!!!!
      What are your trails like? Smooth? Rocky? Flat? Rolling? Steep? Off-camber? For smoother trails that aren't too steep, a road shoe is generally fine. For the really gnarly stuff (steep and rocky), you want something that's up to the task. A lot of shoes will work for the terrain in-between. I recently tested a bunch of shoes for Outside Mag, and here were my 3 favorite trail shoes: Patagonia Release - My favorite shoe for the really gnarly trails. If it's steep, rocky, rooty, loose, and off-camber, this is the shoe I want to be wearing. Unfortunately it feels clunky on smooth trails and the roads. Brooks Cascadia 4 - My top pic for non-technical trails. Super comfy and very, very smooth. Not enough support for the steeper trails, though. Adidas Adistar Revolt - If I had only one pair of trail shoes, this would be the pair. They do everything extremely well. Only drawback is that they're a few ounces heavier than I'd like.
      VandyMontana

What are your trails like? Smooth? Rocky? Flat? Rolling? Steep? Off-camber?
        Thanks Dakota! I want shoes that can handle http://www.winddrinkers.org/BRR/BridgerRidge.html. I'd like something that will handle steep/rocky trails as I will be running on cow paths in the foothills of the rockies soon. I will take your suggestions see what I can find here in Nashville...
        http://running-with-wine.blogspot.com/
          Haven't run trails in a while as my schedule these days wont allow me a drive to the trails, but when I do, I run in Salomon XA-Pro 3D. Pretty light as trail shoes go, and failry comfortable for me. I run fairly technical trails and never had issues with these.

Right on Hereford...

Thanks Dakota! I want shoes that can handle http://www.winddrinkers.org/BRR/BridgerRidge.html. I'd like something that will handle steep/rocky trails as I will be running on cow paths in the foothills of the rockies soon. I will take your suggestions see what I can find here in Nashville...
            That race looks awesome. I would probably take my Patagonias on that if I did it.

geekfarm@centurytel.net

+1 for the Brooks Cascadia 4. I found they gave great traction in the mud, going up hill or down. Very comfortable from the first run on. Great if your run is a combination of trail and road.

Imminent Catastrophe

Check out Inov8. Hard to find but great, lightweight shoes made for trails.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I love my Solomon XT-Wings. I believe they just came out with a new model of them. I wanted a second pair of shoes while I was training for my marathon, and I did a lot of my long runs on trails. I picked these in particular because the reviews I read said they were ok on roads as well. They have just about as much flex to them as my Asics GT-2140's that are my primary road pair, but they've also been great on really rocky trails. I also think they're pretty awesome looking just for wearing out and about...I probably shouldn't but I do.
                    Ditto - I'm an Inov8 fan.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Ostrich runner

I have a pair of Brooks Adrenaline ASRs for on/off road runs and a pair of Vasque Aether Techs for the muddy stuff. I like each quite a bit.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I have inov8s...Rocklite 395? They were ok for really rocky terrain but they just don't have enough cushion in the forefoot. Wish I knew which ones did. I don't run a lot of trails but when I do it's usually 20+ miles and I have just been wearing road shoes and gaiters. They work just fine. dh wears the mizuno wave inspires (?) and really likes them. I wear adidas road shoes...those adidas adistar revolt look interesting. Adidas tend to be a heavier shoe but I'm used to them.

Jennifer mm#1231

you can find inov8s at www.zombierunners.com

Jennifer mm#1231

xor

I think you mean zombierunner. Apparently, zombies run solo or are identified that way. www.zombierunner.com They've always given me great service, though they don't have low low prices.

hahaha. yeah. that's what I meant! Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

Also an Inov8 fan - they have an outlet in Massachussetts that a bunch of my friends went down to a week or two ago - once a month you can get cheap shoes there w/a group run. Got another pair of Roclite 315s for $50. Big grin I actually like the lack of cushioning - it lets you feel the trail. Of course, I also run trails barefoot or in Vibrams at times... North Face also has some decent trail shoes.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)