NYC Marathon 2012 (Read 2541 times)

seanster

ME

Colder colder colder, please!  Low 50s, high 40Fs at least?!  Come on, this is Nov for goodness sake!

Yeah, or at least some clouds, maybe lower humidity...

Nov 4

57°F

Sunny 

Chance of rain: 0%

Wind:  WNW at 9 mph

Humidity: 66%

§ SIGNATURE§

seanster

ME

ING New York City Marathon Weather Update
      Tuesday, 10/30, 10AM: We are currently focused on recovery efforts, and our thoughts go out to all those affected by the storm. Please stay safe - we will update you later in the day as more information becomes available. Please check hurricane-related news for the New York area and your area, and please check this site frequently, as we will be posting updates. Most importantly, please stay safe throughout this week.

@nygovcuomo on instragram posted a pic of a flooded Whitehall subway station, important for anyone scheduled to take the ferry.  I planned on taking the train from Jersey City to WTC that morning too, that wasn't looking too good.  Heard rumors that expo would be extended to accommodate travel delays.  Hope everyone is safe, we were spared the worst here even with the eye passing over us.  Still raining here (has been since Sat night). 

§ SIGNATURE§

#artbydmcbride

Damage is pretty severe:

Runners run

seanster

ME

Damage is pretty severe:

Big grin At least 5 million dollars worth.

§ SIGNATURE§

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

That thing must be stapled on.

I moved my hotel accommodations to the business district near Whitehall.  As long as it's not underwater when I get there, I should be able to walk to the ferry . . . as long as that's still running.

Looks like I got my wish, though: Low 50s predicted: partially cloudy.  As long as it's not windy it'll be perfect.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I go to school in Morningside (which luckily wasn't really affected by the storm), and I'll be volunteering as part of the medical team on Sunday so maybe I'll see some of you there!  Here's the most recent report I've received from the race organizers (as of 3PM on 10/30): 

As is becoming apparent, we have suffered a storm with loss of life and unprecedented damage to our region. Our thoughts and prayers go out to any of our volunteers who have suffered a loss, we wish you a speedy recovery.

As part of the healing for our region, New York City and the New York Road Runners are committed to holding the New York City Marathon on Sunday. Adjustments may be made due to storm damage but the race will be run.

And from the NYRR facebook page (3 hours ago):

The Marathon has always been a special day for New Yorkers as a symbol of the vitality and resiliency of this City. NYRR continues to move ahead with its planning and preparation. We will keep all options open with regard to making any accommodations and adjustments necessary to race day and race weekend events. We will provide an update and more detail as information becomes available.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Julia1971

I go to school in Morningside (which luckily wasn't really affected by the storm), and I'll be volunteering as part of the medical team on Sunday so maybe I'll see some of you there!

Thank you for volunteering!  Since you're on the medical team, I'm not sure I want to see you.  Smile

As for me, I know this must be a tough decision for them.  I'm okay if with whatever decision they make.  I'm coming to NYC on the 4th if there's a marathon or not since all my stuff is booked and mostly non-refundable.  Nothing to do but wait and see at this point. 

BeeRunB

Have the marathon, don't have it, but why try to create the perception that it's always been a symbol of the resiliency of the city and is now a symbol of the healing of the region? Sounds like spin. It's just a foot race.

Seanv2

Have the marathon, don't have it, but why try to create the perception that it's always been a symbol of the resiliency of the city and is now a symbol of the healing of the region? Sounds like spin. It's just a foot race.

I know it meant something to a lot of New Yorkers, myself included, when the Marathon happened after September 11th, but that was a different animal.  New York was worried about the security of the race, not whether it was technically feasible, or a proper use of very stretched resources.  

My guess is the race will happen and that a lot of people without power will be very upset about it. 

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

+1

Feeling the growl again

Yeah, that whole angle on it struck me as a little odd.  But then again I am not from NY so <<shrug of deferrment>>.

I thought most non-runners viewed big city marathons as a major annoyance due to road closures and increased difficulty in getting around on the day of the race.  Sure, a few go out and spectate but this has been the impression quite a few non-running friends have given me over the years.  Confused

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

To New York the NYCM is not just any other foot race. It a $200-$300 million dollar revenue generator for the local economy. That is the main reason why they want to do this. Also, they probably still want to show the world that heck after this catastrophe we can still hold the marathon 5 days later. 

I thought most non-runners viewed big city marathons as a major annoyance due to road closures and increased difficulty in getting around on the day of the race.  Sure, a few go out and spectate but this has been the impression quite a few non-running friends have given me over the years.  Confused

Really? It didn't seem that way to me when I ran New York and Chicago, and definitely not Boston. I got the impression that more people than not were pretty excited about their city's marathon. But then I may have a skewed dorktastic runner's view of it all.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hmm.  Apparently, my hotel has been washed out by the storm.  I'm checking with a friend to see if the wife and I can crash with her.  Finding another hotel is proving to be difficult, since lots of residents without power have taken to staying in the available hotels.

Stay-tuned.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do