Sub 15:00 5k tips (Read 2583 times)

Shocked I am trying to get back into running and I am having a hard time. I would like to run under 15:00 in a 5k 6 weeks from now. Does anyone have any advice?
    JamieKU

What does your log look like and what are your previous prs and how long have you been away from running. You should be doing 60+ miles per week at a strong pace 6:00+/-.
      JakeKnight

Shocked I am trying to get back into running and I am having a hard time. I would like to run under 15:00 in a 5k 6 weeks from now. Does anyone have any advice?
        Um ...... do you perhaps mean a 15:00 per mile pace? Because if you're "trying to get back into running" and you're actually planning on running sub-5:00 miles, you sure don't need my advice. The only time I run that fast is to the fridge for a beer during a timeout.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

I have been running off and on for the last 2 years. Run one month, stop the next. Right now I am running 6 miles twice a week at slightly under 6:00 pace. Occasionally I will run a speed workout. 4-6 700m repeats @ 1:52-2:10
          JakeKnight

I have been running off and on for the last 2 years. Run one month, stop the next. Right now I am running 6 miles twice a week at slightly under 6:00 pace.
            Seriously? Are you from Kenya by any chance?

Wingz

Professional Noob

Wow. Just think what you could do if you could consistantly train! Shocked What makes you stop for a month every other month? Are you hurting yourself that often?

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sheesh, some people have all the luck (ie natural born talent). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Once I take one day off, it is too easy to follow it up with fifteen more.
                  JakeKnight

Once I take one day off, it is too easy to follow it up with fifteen more.
                    So let me make sure I've got this straight: You run twice a week. Grand total of 12 miles. 48 miles a month. You take every other month completely off. Which means your yearly total is under 300 miles. Yet you can run a 5-K at approximately 4:50 per mile pace? Barely 2 minutes off world record time? (It's 12:37. And he's Ethiopian. And probably trains 3 times a day, every day) C'mon. Either you're pulling our collective (sore) legs, or you're smoking something really good and not sharing at all. Or you've gotten the metric system really confused. Don't trolls stick to political websites? And if you're for real - can you get me tickets to the Beijing Olympics?

So let me make sure I've got this straight: You run twice a week. Grand total of 12 miles. 48 miles a month. You take every other month completely off. Which means your yearly total is under 300 miles. Yet you can run a 5-K at approximately 4:50 per mile pace? Barely 2 minutes off world record time? (It's 12:37. And he's Ethiopian. And probably trains 3 times a day, every day) C'mon. Either you're pulling our collective (sore) legs, or you're smoking something really good and not sharing at all. Or you've gotten the metric system really confused. Don't trolls stick to political websites? And if you're for real - can you get me tickets to the Beijing Olympics?
                      Thats about right. I know that 48 miles a month is a little low. I am trying to find some advice on how to train smart so I do not get burned out and repeat my cycle of quitting.
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

Okay... taking you exactly at face value here... You're doing 6 miles twice a week, but find you stop training if you take a day off... Sounds to me like you'd benefit from finding a running group where you can use the peer pressure to help you keep showing up on a regular basis. Sure, they'd be running slower than what you're used to. But consistant effort over a longer time frame will get you better results than training really fast and hard and then quitting and then training really fast and hard and then quitting again. Check out a local running club and make some friends. Give them your phone number and tell them you'll be there. Then show up. And keep showing up. And then show up some more. And then? Show up some more. Make it a habit, a normal part of your life. That's the best advice I can give you. This from a snail who would like to break 35 minutes for a 5K sometime next year... Good luck with your training!

I just cannot believe you guys are taking this time-waster seriously. It's just a problem with an open access forum and was bound to happen sooner or later. Get a life mate! Charlie
                          JakeKnight

I just cannot believe you guys are taking this time-waster seriously. It's just a problem with an open access forum and was bound to happen sooner or later. Get a life mate! Charlie
                            Well, yeah. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this reaction. But I'm still hopin' this chap will share whatever he's drinking. Or get me those Olympics tickets. And you've got to admit - the fact that somebody would bother to troll a site like this kind of funny! I can't imagine anything more boring. If you're not a running freak, this place would bore you to death. I'll bet right now the same guy is over mocking the gang at basketweaving.com. And yes - that really exists: http://basketweaving.com/

Yeah--run faster.
                              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

LOL! I figured he was um... just exaggerating a little bit. Hey, I'd like to run a sub-15 5K in six weeks too! Big grin