There must be an easier way of creating new routes and NOT getting lost, anyone? (Read 218 times)

omdno1

I've recently purchased a pretty cool GPS watch and for the most part, I've loved it. It really comes in handy on those trails that are not so marked and for down & back routes but, I recently plotted a course from the resource tab on this site and although it's extremely useful and handy, I find it hard to remember streets and turns once I get out there. I set out for a run today and the inevitable happened, I got lost. Worst feeling for sure. Especially when you're in a time crunch during a lunch break and your asking walking around asking neighbors how to get you back to your starting point. Very frustrating and annoying. Not to mention I end up running wayyy longer than im supposed to run just trying to find home. I've expressed my concerns and wishes on other parts of this forum on hoping there might be a tech device that can give you turn by turn directions via Bluetooth after uploading the map you created but, seems there's not anything out there yet (or there is, but really expensive) so, im on a search for an easier way.

Options I have:

1. Drive the course after plotting it, just to get a visual.

2. Run with bulky phone on my arm.

3. Write down street names on hand.

3. Continue to run boring down & back routes.

Any creative ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated.

(please keep the condescending and sarcastic remarks to a minimum and only participate if you have positive and informative input to share)

thanks

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Some GPS watches have a "Back to Start" feature which can help you retrace your steps, or if you don't want to retrace, can point you in the direction of your starting point.  You should check and see if you have a feature like this in your watch.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

DaBurger

There isn't, this is just like the secret.  Though if you had some friends to run with that could show you new routes that might help.

Know thyself.

Sometimes I use google street view to preview a course. That way, you don't actually have to drive it to see it before hand.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Or, I've done this before (usually for trails, but could work for roads too), you could print a map with the route highlighted, put it in a ziplock / sandwich bag, and put it in the key pocket of your shorts, or under your hat.

HermosaBoy

Sometimes I use google street view to preview a course. That way, you don't actually have to drive it to see it before hand.

This seems like a good option.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

GinnyinPA

I just take a small piece of paper and write down the directions i.e. 1.3 L on Sollenberger, 2.7 rt. on Crottlestown, etc.  Some of our streets, especially out in the country, don't have signs so I've learned to be very specific. The distance is more important than the street name. I keep the paper in my pocket and take it out when needed.  Like you, I got lost a couple of times in areas where it was a long way back to someplace familiar.

Doing a Google street view or driving a route can be good if you find that the maps in your area aren't accurate.  We have a lot of dead-end farm lanes that show up as through roads on the maps.

an amazing likeness

#3  Get some cheap wristbands and tape a cheat sheet of directions to the wristband.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

omdno1

Seems like "street view" is a popular option for you guys, thanks. Although, I would still find a way to get lost seeing that most of the streets I see are unfamiliar and look the same to me.

Writing down street names would help but not sure if I would like carrying around a bag though..lol

Great creativity, keep em coming!

Writing down street names would help but not sure if I would like carrying around a bag though..lol

You would probably like it more than getting lost.

omdno1

You would probably like it more than getting lost.

Very True! But, the idea is not to get lost in the first place, haha. It's not just getting lost though, it's also knowing I have to walk/jog longer just to get back that burns me the most.

probably not fast enough

I've actually done your suggestion #3 before: just write it down.  I put it on a scrap of paper and after running the route a couple times, I had it memorized.

JimR

Here's the somewhat condescending/sarcasm you don't want to read.  You've got a watch, and it's really not capable of performing this expectation you have.  This means all your solutions have little to do with your watch, and you feel 'shorted' on your purchase.

Here's the more informative part.  If you want to preplan routes to follow, keep the routes simple.  Your watch can help you by showing how far (gps-y option) or even for just how long (non-gps friendly option) from point to point.  You don't need to make a hundred left and right turns on a completely unfamiliar route to be useful and new.  Just keep it within a half-dozen changes and be aware of how far apart they are, this will let you navigate your way along and ease the issue of keeping track.  I've done this gobs of times in strange locations by simply keeping track of how long I've run since my last turn, which is something my old standby timex triathlon does very well.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Another keep-it-simple option ...

Figure out a few default loops of varying distances. Then, if you need to run something longer than one loop but not as long as another, add a spur to the one loop.

For example: Want to run 7 miles? Take your 5-mile loop. At some point on the loop, turn off and run 1 mile out, then 1 mile back. Resume your 5-mile loop.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Getting lost and finding the way back is a good skill to acquire.  No need to be in control all the time.  That said, Garmin will get you back home with back to start feature on most of their running watches, not sure about other models.