Runners Knee and KT tape (Read 103 times)

rmorrissey64

Hi.

I'm having my annual fight with runners knee, seems to happen every year when I get to this point of training.  I've been thinking of switching to a run/walk method of running since it seems to help, but I saw some videos on You Tube of how to tape your knee for runners knee, has anyone tried this with any success?

Thanks

Rich

Best Present Ever

I call it voodoo taping. It makes me feel better - there is something about the runners knee feeling (which I describe as 'icky') that feels better to me with taping. I don't find that it makes a difference in how quickly things improve for me. Various braces haven't made any difference either. It just comes and goes.

yes...buy the blue mueller brand. use it all the time. it works and stays put for days...even in a swim bike run situation and showers. i apply it then hit it with a hair drier to heat up the tape to make it stick real good. good luck.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Taping or braces are useless for running knee.  It's primarily an overuse injury; the only real remedies are rest, not doing too much too soon, and strengthening your quad muscles so that patella tracks properly.  Perhaps changing to more or less supportive shoes could help too, if knee alignment is what's causing the problem.  No tape and no brace can apply enough pressure to keep your patella in place.  Any benefit would be purely psychological.

rmorrissey64

Thanks for the replies

probably not fast enough

I went out for a run last night and somehow I must've strained my left knee...it's a little tender today.  I'm going to rest it by switching to mainly rowing for a couple days and see how that does.