hobbled and bummed (Read 478 times)

thumbs up!

I haven't ran in over a week. Only once the week before that, and I probably shouldn't have gone on the several painful runs before that. My doc is pretty sure it's soft tissue and could be: 1. groin, 2. hip, 3. muscle. I'm patiently waiting for my PT appt. next week. I know I'm not the only one with an injury. However, I am NOT a natural athlete, and worked very hard just to get to my meager mileage and pace. I'd love to hear any success stories of how you came back from injury, how long it took...
    2010 Goals
    1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
    2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
    3. sub 30 min 5k
    4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
      Hey Penny, I had a soft tissue injury in February after my very first race. Simply Stated: I ran too fast and too hard for my new runner's legs, and it came back to get me.... BAD. My heel/foot were so sore that I could not bear weight on it for several days after the race. My Husband had to help me to get around. I felt very defeated and very upset. However, Giving up was NEVER an option. It took two trips to an ortho,Two sets of X-Rays, a prescription for NSAIDS and a Steroid to interupt the inflamation of the tendons, and I was walking comfortably within 2 weeks. I returned to light running after 6 weeks. Started very light, and learned to SLOW DOWN. Thanks to all the very knowledgeable runners here. I am now running almost 20 miles a week, and so far so good. Patience is key, and unfortunately as runners, that is the toughest thing to come by! Wink Rest up, and you will be back to flyin in no time. Good Luck! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

thumbs up!

Cheffy, thanks for the encouragement. I glad to hear you overcame your injury. 20 miles a week is great!
        2010 Goals
        1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
        2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
        3. sub 30 min 5k
        4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Oh Penny, I sympathize too! I'm not a "born runner" and have fought genetics big-time to get where I am mileage-wise (which is meagre compared to most). Last July I suffered a calf muscle tear that put me off running and practically off my feet all together for 10 weeks. At first I kept "trying" to run and re-injuring myself. It was SO hard to be patient and I was very upset. But time was a wonderful healer for me (along with ice at first, heat once it was healing and massage) and I was able to start back up and today I'm running more than I was then. (was doing 15 mpw, now flirting with 20). I should mention that I moved and had lots of things happen in the middle and only started running again in late March, so about 3 months ago. Hang in there hon - I hope you find a solution soon. Just knowing better what you're dealing with really helps. I was convinced I had a stress fracture and once I knew it was a tear I was much better - psychologically at least Big grin
          ~ Fly ~
          Only as much as I dream can I be.
          veggies on the run
            Hey Penny, you are not alone I am going through a similar process. I rushed my mileage and now have an ITBS issue with my left knee. I tried to convine myself over the last month that I could continue to train with the injury. I have accepted this week to let my leg heal for atleast 10 days and then to resume slowly so as to not agravate the tendon. I had a soft tissue injury about 18 months ago and found massage therapy to be very beneficial.