Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

xor

Time to put up or shut up. I'm in for the Light at the End of the Tunnel Marathon on July 24th. If I can't do it here I can't do it at all.

Well, just be aware that if the tunnel isn't open (it is supposed to be this year, but hasn't been for the previous two and we're not 100% sure yet), it is a VERY VERY different race.

Tunnel open: 26.2 miles of gentle downhill.

Tunnel closed: 13ish miles of gentle uphill followed by 13ish miles of gentle downhill.

Not enough eating was huge for me.  During all of my long training runs, I'd eat the same thing for breakfast around 5:15 (toast with pb and honey).  I met with my group at 7 for our runs.  This was always enough food to get me through even on the 20 and 22 miler.  The marathon day was completely different in regards to time and I didn't even take that into consideration.  I woke up at 3:30, ate my usual breakfast, and headed to a downtown hotel (10 minutes from my house) in order to catch a bus at 5 that took us to the starting line (about 30 minutes from downtown hotel).  Anyway, got to the starting line at 6 and the race started at 7.  By 9, I was starving.  All I had was Powerbar gels.  This lack of food and energy really hurt me around 21 to the end.  Defintely learned alot in the first marathon that will come in handy for the next. 

I just realized I'm rambling and nobody cares anyway but I'll still hit the post button. 

Open question for anyone.  Have been reading on nutrition and endurances races.  From my take, it appears that the pre race meal is least important of all.  Muscle glycogen levels really don't change much over night, and the pre race meal doesn't change it much at all.  It does "top off" liver glycogen stores.   In fact, some sports physiologist suggest skipping breakfast if you can't have 3 hours before a long run.  

To maximize muscle glycogen: (1) it is good training, building up the ability of muscles to store glycogen (2) Good nutrition, especially after runs, and (3) good nutrition the 3 days prior.  

Not to hijack the thread, but for all of us trying to break the 4 hour mark, I would be interested in hearing from others how important the  pre race nutrition is.  

Thanks.

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Open question for anyone.  Have been reading on nutrition and endurances races.  From my take, it appears that the pre race meal is least important of all.  Muscle glycogen levels really don't change much over night, and the pre race meal doesn't change it much at all.  It does "top off" liver glycogen stores.   In fact, some sports physiologist suggest skipping breakfast if you can't have 3 hours before a long run.  

To maximize muscle glycogen: (1) it is good training, building up the ability of muscles to store glycogen (2) Good nutrition, especially after runs, and (3) good nutrition the 3 days prior.  

Not to hijack the thread, but for all of us trying to break the 4 hour mark, I would be interested in hearing from others how important the  pre race nutrition is.  

Thanks.

When I was training for my first marathon in December, our coaches told us to start doing the carb/protein thing at least a week before the marathon.  They wanted us to get plenty of good carbs and protein in our system at least that entire week before the race.  For me, I ate alot of fish, chicken, brown rice, and pasta that week.  Eggs, yogurt and granola, wheat bread with PB, and oatmeal for breakfast.

geekfarm@centurytel.net

Well, just be aware that if the tunnel isn't open (it is supposed to be this year, but hasn't been for the previous two and we're not 100% sure yet), it is a VERY VERY different race.

Tunnel open: 26.2 miles of gentle downhill.

Tunnel closed: 13ish miles of gentle uphill followed by 13ish miles of gentle downhill.

I found out about this marathon last year and was hoping the tunnel would be open, alas not open, not running. So I was happy to see they expect it open this year. If I can't break 4 hours here I should give up running.

I found out about this marathon last year and was hoping the tunnel would be open, alas not open, not running. So I was happy to see they expect it open this year. If I can't break 4 hours here I should give up running.

Really? You seem pretty consistent in your training. If you don't get your goal at the marathon, why not continue racing, but at a shorter distance?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

geekfarm@centurytel.net

I can't give up the running, but maybe the hope of a sub 4 hour marathon.

JML

Well.....I am listed as attempting to go sub-4 at the National Marathon on 3/26 but I ended up changing to the 1/2 due to some non running related medical issues.  I managed a 1:47:20 in DC which is an 8+ minute PR so I think that I made the right choice over running the marathon and finishing in a death march due to missed training.  I hope that this portends good things for my attempt at sub-4 in Chicago.

Congrats to those who have made it this year.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Thanks.

I always used to do the carbo-load thing and end up with stomach issues during the race.  What I do now, is just eat normally, but for the 4 days prior to the race, instead of drinking water, I drink gatorade.  It seems to work OK, and I don't get stomach issues in the race anymore.

If you drink 80oz per day, and eat as you normally eat, you should end up with about 2400 extra calories before the race.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

sbpdx

I am training for my first marathon on June 5 (North Olympic Discovery Marathon) and I plan on finishing sub-4. I might be crazy but time will tell Smile

I never ran in my life prior to last September but I decided I needed some kind of real exercise for a number of reasons. I've been lucky w/ regard to my metabolism but I just passed the wrong side of 40 and figured I couldn't push my luck too much further. I've been pretty much sedentary for the last 18+ years. Also my wife has always been athletic (swimmer in high-school, a number of triathlons and one marathon) and I figured it would be nice if we could run together.

I started with the C25k plan and it turned out I really enjoy running. I figured I'd sign up for a half marathon sometime this year, but by February I was running 10+ mile runs pretty easily. Throwing caution to the winds I registered for the full marathon instead. 

I've been following the less is more plan I found on Runners world (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--8257-6-1X2X3X4X5X6-7,00.html) and it seems to be going pretty well.  I'm up to my first 20 miler this weekend which should be interesting - 18 miles was pretty tough going at the end.

As much as it pains me to say, I'm going to be a Did Not Start for the Pig.  Sinus Surgery, along with several other factors, knocked me out of running any part of the Pig.  However, you can transfer my Sub 4 to the Columbus Marathon on October 16, 2011.

Mark

Welcome sbpdx. 

Just took a quick peek at your log.  Even though you are relatively new, looks like your paces are pretty good for a sub 4.  You only have 5 weeks left.  Are you planning any races before then?  If not, you may want to consider at least a 8 to 13 miler at your desired marathon pace.  As a relativley newbie myself, I have found the biggest issue is pace control, especially early in the race.  I have tried to add a medium long run at MP each week to help with this. 

Do you have a goal time?  If it is just to finish, and hopefully get under 4 hours, then you are looking at a pace of around 9 min/mile  (9:09).  Since none of your training runs are this slow, it may be hard for you to keep it slow in the beginning.  The common tendency would be to go out at your "feel good and easy pace" which appears to be 8:30 pace for you (projected time of 3:42).  This may work out well, and you could possibly cruise to a 3:40 ish time, or you could crash at the 20 mile mark.  In a typically crash, the pace on the front end may translate into a 1 for 2 second reversal, i.e. for every 1 sec faster in the 1st 10 k, you are 2 sec slower in the last 10K. 

Just thoughts.  BTW, the marathon looks great, and I think I will add it to my list of ones to run. 

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon

As much as it pains me to say, I'm going to be a Did Not Start for the Pig.  Sinus Surgery, along with several other factors, knocked me out of running any part of the Pig.  However, you can transfer my Sub 4 to the Columbus Marathon on October 16, 2011.

Mark

Hey Mark,

Hope you don't mind, but I copied this from your recent blog. 

Some see CF (cystic fibrosis) as a curse.  A “why did this have to happen to me” kind of situation.  I don’t.  I see it as a character defining trait.  Now, I’ve been lucky to be very healthy over my almost 40 years.  But, CF has made me see life the way it really is…a challenge. 

What a great inspiration you are!   Keep heathy, and hope you smash it in October.

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon

Hey Mark,

Hope you don't mind, but I copied this from your recent blog. 

Some see CF (cystic fibrosis) as a curse.  A “why did this have to happen to me” kind of situation.  I don’t.  I see it as a character defining trait.  Now, I’ve been lucky to be very healthy over my almost 40 years.  But, CF has made me see life the way it really is…a challenge. 

What a great inspiration you are!   Keep heathy, and hope you smash it in October.

I don't mind at all.  I'm glad that the few that read my blog (which is very stale at the moment) are inspired.  I hope to really inspire at Columbus.  I don't think I'll know what to do with a flat course.

Mark

AXes

Mark - Wish you were able to be there this Sunday.  When the going gets tough I'll use you and the CFF team as motivation.  Maybe see you in Columbus in October.

Do you know the feeling I know? When your legs have disappeared, and there is only your heart, your lungs, and your eyes skimming disembodied through the air? - Jeff

Mrcrumpton

Country Music Marathon - Nashville Rock n Roll - 3:56:23!

Official Time - 3:56:18

2013 Goals

• 5K-20:00
                                • 10K-44:00
                                • 1/2 Marathon-1:38
                                • Marathon-3:30
                                • Complete 50 Miler