Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

Country Music Marathon - Nashville Rock n Roll - 3:56:23!

Sweet man.  Congrats.  Enjoy the rest of  your day now.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Sweet man.  Congrats.  Enjoy the rest of  your day now.

+1 WTG

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Just dropped by to say congratulations. Excellent work just 6 weeks off your debut. Watch out srl.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Turbolegs

Official Time - 3:56:18

Fantastic !! You must be over the moon and other planetary bodies !! This group needed a graduate ... it had been too long without some exciting news ... hope you plan to write a rr??

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Missed out, struck a hot dry day and struggled through to finish in 4:18:42. Took a couple of minutes off my best time for this course, but not as much as I wanted.  Maybe I might have to be a flat track bully and avoid the hilly races.

Very frustrating race as a lot of hassles with course congestion, start time changes, and a bizarre finish area.

Will write up a bit of a report later. 

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

sbpdx

Welcome sbpdx. 

Just took a quick peek at your log.  Even though you are relatively new, looks like your paces are pretty good for a sub 4.  You only have 5 weeks left.  Are you planning any races before then?  If not, you may want to consider at least a 8 to 13 miler at your desired marathon pace.  As a relativley newbie myself, I have found the biggest issue is pace control, especially early in the race.  I have tried to add a medium long run at MP each week to help with this. 

Do you have a goal time?  If it is just to finish, and hopefully get under 4 hours, then you are looking at a pace of around 9 min/mile  (9:09).  Since none of your training runs are this slow, it may be hard for you to keep it slow in the beginning.  The common tendency would be to go out at your "feel good and easy pace" which appears to be 8:30 pace for you (projected time of 3:42).  This may work out well, and you could possibly cruise to a 3:40 ish time, or you could crash at the 20 mile mark.  In a typically crash, the pace on the front end may translate into a 1 for 2 second reversal, i.e. for every 1 sec faster in the 1st 10 k, you are 2 sec slower in the last 10K. 

Just thoughts.  BTW, the marathon looks great, and I think I will add it to my list of ones to run. 

Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking about for awhile and figured I should actually participate a bit. 

I don't have any races planned prior but I have planned out some long runs with more experienced runners, including my 20 miler tomorrow. I also did a 15k (Portland Shamrock Run) instead of one of my 10 milers awhile back.

I honestly haven't settled on a "hard" goal time. Since it is my first marathon, I have the following sort of kicking about in the back of my head:  

3:45 or lower would exceed my expectations

4:00 or lower would meet my goal

over 4:00 and I will be bummed I missed my goal but still amazed I went from sedentary to completing a marathon...

Official Time - 3:56:18

well done,  very well done!!  congrats! 

over 4:00 and I will be bummed I missed my goal but still amazed 

This was me.  I was on pace for under 4 until a little over 20 when the cramping got me.  I finished in 4:13 and was completely bummed the rest of the day.  I woke up the next morning and realized, no way would I have imagined running marathon two years ago.  I then started thinking about things I would change for the next one (training miles, fueling before the race, fueling during the race, etc).  It was a great learning experience.  Whether you complete your goal or not, learn and seek improvement.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Lincoln Marathon - 3:56:35

Gosh, running a marathon is hard!

I'll write a race report later.

AXes

Flying Pig - 3:48:00. Course kicked my butt but great race. Details later. Congrats to everyone who competed today.

MTA - Changed time to reflect official result and put notes in my workout log if anyone wants the gory details.

Do you know the feeling I know? When your legs have disappeared, and there is only your heart, your lungs, and your eyes skimming disembodied through the air? - Jeff

Mark - Wish you were able to be there this Sunday.  When the going gets tough I'll use you and the CFF team as motivation.  Maybe see you in Columbus in October.

Well done today. I was there, probably walked about 6 miles and ran about 4.  Not a bad workout, actually.

Mark

Turbolegs

Lincoln Marathon - 3:56:35

Gosh, running a marathon is hard!

I'll write a race report later.

Another one in the bag ... well done !!

Turbolegs

Flying Pig - 3:48:00. Course kicked my butt but great race. Details later. Congrats to everyone who competed today.

MTA - Changed time to reflect official result and put notes in my workout log if anyone wants the gory details.

Wow .. 3:48 is some killing on a sub 4 performance !! Smile

zonykel

I'll give the sub-4 marathon a try. I've run 3 half-marathons (Nov 2010 in 1:54, Jan 2011 in 1:58, and Apr 2011 in 1:57). I also ran a 5K in April in 22 minutes.

I'm currently training for the San Diego Rock n Roll marathon on June 5, 2011. I'm just hoping I can stay injury-free until then. Wish me luck!

Hi!  Already posted on the other page but did 3:57:24 at Vancouver.

Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30