Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

bigboy-

please change me from the savannah marathon on the 5th of november

to the soldier marathon columbus, ga. november 12 

thanks.

steph  

Berlin - September 25, 2011 - goal time: 3:30

Three weeks and counting!

Good luck this weekend, TJ!

Mr Play

Well I'm still in for Whiterock in December.  I ran my first marathon there last year in 4:06:39, using one of Hal Higdon's plans without any speed work.  This year I'm using Pfitzinger's 12/55 plan, and I'm trying to set a challenging but realistic goal.  I would love to shave a half hour off and run it in 3:36, but I'm wondering if that's too ambitious. 

Until recently I was running sporadically at 15-20 miles a week.  But, that was in temps of 100+.

If anyone wants to take a look at my log and/or training plan and offer some advice, I'm all ears.

Bill

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Well I'm still in for Whiterock in December.  I ran my first marathon there last year in 4:06:39, using one of Hal Higdon's plans without any speed work.  This year I'm using Pfitzinger's 12/55 plan, and I'm trying to set a challenging but realistic goal.  I would love to shave a half hour off and run it in 3:36, but I'm wondering if that's too ambitious. 

Until recently I was running sporadically at 15-20 miles a week.  But, that was in temps of 100+.

If anyone wants to take a look at my log and/or training plan and offer some advice, I'm all ears.

Bill

I used 11/55 plan I was slightly a head of the plan. The 2 speed works  a week a could not do. Left me to exhausted late in the program.   3 x 1 mile repeats(5K pace) and the 100 meter strider worked best.Pace dropped as times improved( McMillan). Not good at pacing so I did only 1 ten mile MP run( on the  track).Progression run went very well. Marathon 3:57: 58 -- 1/11** 3:37:38 --  9/11. 20 minute drop.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

runnerclay......................................Sept 18............Fox Valley

3:37:38

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

WHOO WHOO!  Fantastic work!  Way to absolutely blow the 4:00!

Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30
                Mr Play

Thanks.  I added 2 weeks to the plan, so it's really a 14/55 I guess.  Congrats on the progress and for crushing it this time.  It's encouraging to see that kind of improvement from someone using a similar plan.  Today's 15 mile run went well.  8:43 overall pace and I wasn't struggling at the end.

I have a 10k scheduled for 10/15 so I'll plug that into McMillan to see where I'm at then.

I used 11/55 plan I was slightly a head of the plan. The 2 speed works  a week a could not do. Left me to exhausted late in the program.   3 x 1 mile repeats(5K pace) and the 100 meter strider worked best.Pace dropped as times improved( McMillan). Not good at pacing so I did only 1 ten mile MP run( on the  track).Progression run went very well. Marathon 3:57: 58 -- 1/11** 3:37:38 --  9/11. 20 minute drop.

Berlin - September 25, 2011 - goal time: 3:30

Three weeks and counting!

km 5       0:25:45

km 10     0:51:00     

km 15     1:15:27     

km 20     1:40:19     

km 25     2:05:24     

km 30     2:30:50     

km 35     2:55:55     

km 40     3:24:32

3:37:46 - I was right on my pace until the 35 km mark.  Then, a combination of a near overwhelming need to use the bathroom, and lead-like legs, caused my pace to drop off from 5:00/km to ~6:00/km.  But, I was happy with my result.  For next time, I will make better food choices the day before the race, e.g., no Indian food!!! :-)

Can I just say that 40,000 is a lot of people for a race? :-)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Great job TJ!  I'd love to be one of Berlin's 40000 someday. Smile

Big Boy or whoever is managing this thread,  you can take me off the list.  because of on-going PF issues transferred over to the HM at Seattle on 11/27.    yea, I know I'm a dropout

Registration starts soon for 2012!  It's definitely a fun place to run! :-)

Great job TJ!  I'd love to be one of Berlin's 40000 someday. Smile

Been running for about five months now, and my first marathon is November 6th in Elyria, Ohio.  I've done three 20+ mile runs, and my most recent MAF test made me realize a sub-four-hour marathon should be entirely feasible for me.  (MAF test mile one, 150 bpm, 9:00 minutes.)

I still didn't have the confidence until I did a half-marathon training run yesterday (even though I'd done a 24-miler on Saturday) at 8:37/mile and felt fantastic.

Told myself that I wasn't going to set a goal for the first marathon, but I think, with all the miles I have in, that I have the fitness to do it.

Sub four, here I come!  November 6th, 2011, it'll be mine.  Big grin

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                            Emil Zatopek

JML

As they say in baseball.....a swing and a miss.

Chicago was not kind to me.  4:36 (2:00 first half, 2:36 of muscle cramping joy for the second).  It looks like I will not hit sub 4 this year.  Drat

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

mjbrown2001

Big Boy, can you please update the list? I achieved my goal at Chicago yesterday - 3:58:44. Woo hoo!! By the way, just catching up on this thread and noticed your post about being injured - sorry to hear. All the best with the cycling until you get the injury sorted out.
                                To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.