Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

Congrats mcanyon!  You will have it next time for sure. Smile

xor

great job on the races, folks... whether your day ended with a "3" or "4" something.  Couple of comments from the previous page made me want to pop in.  Cramping may (or may not) always directly relate to hydration and electrolyte levels.  If you find yourself cramping toward the end of the race... especially if it wasn't a brutally hot day and you've been drinking to thirst... the solution is less likely to be "drink more" or "take an electrolyte capsule", and more likely to be all about "you ran a little too fast for what your body is ready to do".  The best solution comes with more training and more miles.

Keep putting in the training.  Over weeks and months, you should improve.  Especially if you run more than "just the bare minimum" miles that seem to accompany most beginner and novice training plans.  Don't go over-the-top crazy with drinking more.  Drink to thirst.  In the 4 hour range, drinking too much is less likely to lead to hyponatremia like it might for a 5 hour marathoner, but it is still an issue.  As is spending extra time in the portapotty and/or uncomfortable for 10 miles because you need to pee.

Final note on cramping: there are full-on cramps.  Those are bad news, obviously.  But lots of time, folks say they are cramping... and what they are really experiencing is the big time muscle discomfort/tightness that lots of us feel toward the end of marathons.  If it is your first (or second) marathon, you might not know this because you haven't run that far before... or at least, that far that fast.  More experience will help you work through this.  And, not coincidentally, more running will help with this somewhat too.

Then again, sometimes you CRAMP.  And that is badness.

xhristopher

great job on the races, folks... whether your day ended with a "3" or "4" something.  Couple of comments from the previous page made me want to pop in.  Cramping may (or may not) always directly relate to hydration and electrolyte levels.  If you find yourself cramping toward the end of the race... especially if it wasn't a brutally hot day and you've been drinking...

Like you would know. How long has it been since you've run a marathon anyway?

xor

Like you would know. How long has it been since you've run a marathon anyway?

9 days.

I actually skipped the 50k I was supposed to run this past Saturday.  I will make up for it this weekend by running two.

Just found this thread and thought I would throw this out there.  I run Myrtle Beach this Saturday (2/19) and I'm hoping for sub 4:00.  This will be my 4th marathon.  The previous 3 all with times ranging from 4:12-4:17.  I've definitely got 4:20 licked, I just need to find 30 seconds more per mile and make 4:00.  

I did Las Vegas last December and finished in 4:14.  This race was kind of a throw in since I didn't really plan it, but felt like I was in shape so why not go for it.  I'm not sure I'm as well trained for this one, but maybe the experience will help.  I tend to struggle beyond mile 18 (who doesn't though right?).  I need to learn to run that last 8 miles stronger and I'll be good.  

Either way the goal is for 4:00 on Saturday.  

You're in.  Good luck.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

9 days.

I actually skipped the 50k I was supposed to run this past Saturday.  I will make up for it this weekend by running two.

Never met you srlopez, but nice comeback. Glad you are following this thread. No maniacs (yet) in this thread and nice to have someone Follow us that has run more marathons than all of us combined (x2 or 3 or 4)

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Never met you srlopez, but nice comeback. Glad you are following this thread. No maniacs (yet) in this thread and nice to have someone Follow us that has run more marathons than all of us combined (x2 or 3 or 4)

WE are here but not as maniacal.Cry

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

MCanyon, I  Posted last week under the user group, but to rephrase, good advice is to run Miles 1 through 20 at 9 to 9:10 pace, especially 1 through 13.  Even if you feel great, which the taper will make you feel, I would not go sub 8:50 until 20 miles.  I think your under 1:50:00 was what did you in. Reading from your log, you did the 1st 13.1 in roughly 1:48, right. Averaging about an 8:15 pace. Need to ask yourself, what are the main goals (after finishing).  To me, 4:01 to 4:35 are the same thing, and so is 3:50 to 3:59.  Not saying it is easy to cut 9 minutes off, just mentally, it would have the same satisfying effect.  I think you could have easily done this in under 4 hours. Still, great effort at the end and to still push through was great. No question you will be under 4 if you plan on another marathon this year. MTA

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

New poster.  Been lurkingSmile

I'd like to join.

Put me down for Rock n Roll Savannah, Ga.  November 5, 2011.

My first marathon.  

steph  

Seanv2

I thought I had joined this group, but apparently not... Anyway I am definitely planning on going sub 4 this year. I just missed it in 2010 and am still kicking myself.

My plan for this year is to only run one marathon in the fall, and focus on shorter distances this spring. For a program I think I am going to use one by Pfitzinger.

Nader, you had a lot of success with a Pfitz program last year, which one did you use?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

GL tomorrow PittMonster. Welcome Tea Olive and Seanv2.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

PittMonster

Thanks for the good luck wishes Big Boy, but unfortunately it didn't help.  Put me in the no category.  Felt very good through mile 22 but then had stomach problems which caused a lot of walking the last 4 miles and a finish of 4:17:18.  Starting to scout out the next race attempt now.  There will be at least one more try in 2011.

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry PM.  That's a tough way to finish, but still a good time overall.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ugh, being close for 22 miles and then something happening sucks, but that is kind of the draw with the marathons I guess.   You'll get it next time.

Mrcrumpton

Okay. I have been watching this thread and I have finally commited to my first full so let's see if I can pull under the 4 mark. March 20 Georgia Publix Marathon!

2013 Goals

• 5K-20:00
                                • 10K-44:00
                                • 1/2 Marathon-1:38
                                • Marathon-3:30
                                • Complete 50 Miler