Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm pretty psyched - I ran 21.3 miles in 3:02:28 the other day (workout details here), and felt that I could have kept going at or near pace for five more miles!  if I run like that on race day (three weeks from now - March 26, National Marathon in DC), I'll be clear of 4:00.  Of course, everything was just perfect for that run - good nutrition the day before, good sleep, great cool weather, and legs just felt great from the start. My previous few long runs were not as strong, but this one was just great.

This run showed me that I can do it, if everything is going right for me. What a confidence booster that was! I hope you all have such training runs!

Nice job!  I bet you'll have that sub-4:00 marathon!  I'm at very close to the same place in my marathon progress, so let's see if we can both do it!  (Mine's May 1.)

fake it till you make it

Finally- some races coming up!  Seems like it's been a while since anyone's marathon.

mrcrumpton & sandyice74 looks like you're up this weekend!  Hope you are enjoying your tapers.  Have a fantastic race, and please report back to those of us living vicariously through you!

Renee the dog

Thanks Big Boy! Smile

Right off the bat this year, I shocked myself silly and PR'd Goofy.  So right now I am all about base building for AC in Oct.  Trying to get to a point where my body does not explode with 50 mpw.   Oh yeah, and laying awake at night wondering what my new BQ time will be.

Oh Crap, if you are committed, I guess I should be too (take that any way you want!) Joking

Yeah, I'll go with Rozzie sub-4 in Atlantic City on Oct. 16.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Sorry for being MIA guys, I hope to get caught up tonight or tomorrow on the plane.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

Mrcrumpton

Great race, Great weather.  Almost - 4:04:21.  Six weeks until Country Music in Nashville (4-30-11).

2013 Goals

• 5K-20:00
            • 10K-44:00
            • 1/2 Marathon-1:38
            • Marathon-3:30
            • Complete 50 Miler

I was just looking back on this thread and realized that I changed my screen name a while back, and the old one is still on this.  BigBoy, could you please change jsprick to jons3116?  National Marathon next weekend in DC.  Thanks.

I had a couple bad weeks in January and February, due to calf strains and arch pain, and I had planned on a few more long runs in the 19-20 mile range, but for the most part training has gone well.  I am hoping that the mostly consistent mileage i had for the last year and half will help too.  Now I just have to execute a smart race; no problem, right?

Turbolegs

Great race, Great weather.  Almost - 4:04:21.  Six weeks until Country Music in Nashville (4-30-11).

Thats a pretty close one .. how were you doing at the 20mile mark? Were you still in with a good chance to crush 4? Look forward to your race report ..

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Gah I am so sorry ... I have been parachuting in and out of places constantly.  Also raced this weekend (felt good, but going to be a stretch to get to sub-4 this year).

This week looks like it's going to be sane.  I'm way behind and hope to get caught up.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

Nice run.  No question that 4 hr mark is going to fall this year for you.  

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

so close!  Was there anything you learned from your race that you could improve for the next one?  like carry water, don't carry water, don't wear that shirt again, you went out too fast?

Mrcrumpton

This was my first marathon and there were several things that I learned before, during and even now after the race. I have been doing the Hanson Brothers program (currently week 12 of the 18 week program) and I had a base of 31 miles per week for 22 weeks when I started. The long for their program is 16 miles which I did 20 miles 2 weeks ago for my long run and I should have done it 3 weeks out instead even my legs felt good almost the whole race.

My corral was directly in front of my hotel so it was nice to not have to worry about the extra early wake up but since I had heard so much about the wall, I probably ate too much prior to the race. My stomach cramped from about mile 14 on. I wore a camel back with Gatorage/G1 mix and still had plenty left as I did drink water through the stations. I had 1 Gu at mile 7 and another at mile 21 but my plan was to have one every 45 minutes but I did not push trying to eat more. I have been practicing eating and running all along because I know that your stomach needs the training also. My splits were good 10k 54:28 (8:46) half 1:54:36 (8:41) and mile 22 3:20:45 (9:08) so it was in reach but the last several miles just kept climbing. I think one thing that was harder about the race was the number of people who stopped running to walk or stretch or near the end just stopped. It never even crossed my mind on my long runs even the 20 mile that had 2 level 5 hill climbs. Staying your race is important and with 18,000 people it took about 5 miles to settle to my pace where I wanted it to be.

I knew I needed 9:10 but ended up with 9:14 and 26.45 on the Garmin beacuse of the turns.

2013 Goals

• 5K-20:00
                        • 10K-44:00
                        • 1/2 Marathon-1:38
                        • Marathon-3:30
                        • Complete 50 Miler

runjanerun

Okay, I will commit to sub 4 by October 01.

My primary need to go sub 4 right now is to lose 30 lb.  Due to health issues, I gained 30 lb last year in a matter of a few months.  I have lost 10, but I had 5 to lose before I started the gain.  The 30 lb is slowing me, and making training harder than it should be.  (Though any sympathy for this should be limited.  The health issues are being adequately taken care of now and I have not yet lost the weight.)

Right now I am basebuilding and focusing on weight loss.  I actually know exactly how to get to sub 4.  (My PR from a year and a half ago is significantly faster than that, despite many marathons prior to reading training theories and physiology obsessively being over 5 hours.)  Still, support is always helpful when trying to improve!

My current times for 2011 have ranged from 4:21 to 4:46 among 5 marathons (all training marathons without taper or a build towards that.) 

I have been running for 13 years, with mileage over 45 mpw average every year for the last decade.  I've gone as high as 100 in the past.  My body seems to respond very well to it, though I can't handle it with the extra weight now.  Even with the extra weight, I am fairly resilient and don't get injured.  This may be related to knowing when to take it easy, though! 

I guess that is far more than needed by way of introduction, so I will end there.

xor

Mom!  What race?

danyelli

Count me in for Columbus, OH on 10/16.  I squeaked by with a 3:58 at NYC last year (my first sub-4!) so let's go for it again in 2011. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

half 1:54:36 (8:41)

You may want to consider dropping the half to 1:57-1:58. In six weeks it will be much hotter. Go for the negative split. AVG temp 51 - 77 F.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/