Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

I knew I needed 9:10 but ended up with 9:14 and 26.45 on the Garmin beacuse of the turns.

If hitting a time is important, I'd add about 5-6 seconds/mile to the splits that Garmin reports just because of this issue.  Garmin almost always measures long (many reasons), and 26.45 for a Marathon is pretty good.  My Half Marathons are always 13.2-13.3 miles long.

I'm updating it now, for reals this time.

Also, my goal will be 4:22, but will still be participating in the thread.  Having just ran 2:30 for a HM (which was a significant PR for me, over my previous best time when I weighed a good deal less), I don't think it's realistic for me to go sub-4 by the end of the year.  I think if I lose 60lbs between now and October, which is realistic, that would put me on course for 4:22 though.  Then I can lose 50-60 more lbs and do something in late april of next year, like CMM or Flying Pig.  At that point I think I would absolutely crush sub-4.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

all updated except for thatmarathonmom (we need to know your goal race).

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

AXes

Then I can lose 50-60 more lbs and do something in late april of next year, like CMM or Flying Pig.  At that point I think I would absolutely crush sub-4.

Great goals.  If  When you do this, I'll pace you at the Flying Pig if you'd like.  Keep us posted.

Andy

Do you know the feeling I know? When your legs have disappeared, and there is only your heart, your lungs, and your eyes skimming disembodied through the air? - Jeff

If I do a spring marathon, I think I will do flying pig.  I have done Nashville before and while the city itself is a lot of fun, I'd like to do another race.    I have heard great things about flying pig.

But honestly I am having mixed feelings right now.  I am very excited about running Chicago Marathon, and the tune-up races I have planned leading up to it.  And training like an animal coming up to it (today is the last day of my break after last training cycle).

But I also feel like I will miss riding the bike, now that the weather is getting such that it is possible.  And chicago marathon is right around when the cycling season will end.

Maybe I can find a good training program that includes cross-training.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Unofficially, I did it! 3:52:11 today at the National Marathon in DC. I'm still waiting for the official results to post ...

All the details here: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/be3a5922991f4ec9a8678d32a498f2cf/workouts/e90350521d924734b94043c0c4767272

Good luck, all!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

I have an unofficial time of about 3:54 by my watch (i forgot to stop it at the end, but it was right around there).  Waiting on official time, but I am satisfied with the race, all things considered.

Unofficially, I did it! 3:52:11 today at the National Marathon in DC. I'm still waiting for the official results to post ...

All the details here: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/be3a5922991f4ec9a8678d32a498f2cf/workouts/e90350521d924734b94043c0c4767272

Good luck, all!

Nice work Chris. 

I slowed just a bit in the last couple miles (9:10 or so).  I had heard from several people that the hills from miles 23-25 were tough, but I didn't really believe it until today.  Nothing too steep, but mentally it was really tough; like a roller coaster with no downhill sections.  Every time I thought I was at the top, there was another uphill as far as you can see.  Overall I liked the course though.  I was happy after the half, it was really crowded the entire first 13 miles.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Nice work Chris. 

I slowed just a bit in the last couple miles (9:10 or so).  I had heard from several people that the hills from miles 23-25 were tough, but I didn't really believe it until today.  Nothing too steep, but mentally it was really tough; like a roller coaster with no downhill sections.  Every time I thought I was at the top, there was another uphill as far as you can see.  Overall I liked the course though.  I was happy after the half, it was really crowded the entire first 13 miles.

Good job! Those miles from 23-25 were tough. I admittedly went out too fast, and didn't eat any goo or chomps during the second half - perhaps I just got weary from low nutrition?

I liked the course, but I would rather have crossed over the Mall rather than under it ... that was disappointing!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Good luck, all!

Woohoo!  Congratulations!  Looks like you did a great job training and pacing yourself.

xor

Go Chris and Jon!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have an unofficial time of about 3:54 by my watch (i forgot to stop it at the end, but it was right around there).  Waiting on official time, but I am satisfied with the race, all things considered.

Great job, Jon!

I liked the course, but I would rather have crossed over the Mall rather than under it ... that was disappointing!

I agree, I was surprised by that.  Not a fan of the tunnels.

fake it till you make it

Congrats Chris & Jon on your sub-4's!

MMEsq

Unofficial time 4:00:06