First Marathon experience (Read 252 times)

thumshaj

My first Marathon was on last Sunday, 11 th May. Being a heavy sweater, I think raining and wind during race was not a big issue. I hoped to complete it under 4:00 hrs. But I realized that it was not easy due to my low-mileage training.

I started at a slow pace(I guessed it was about 5:50 min/km), occasionally slightly increased the pace whenever I felt it was a bit slow. KM markers seems to be there for only every 4 kms(or so), So I could not pace really well. After 15 km I decided to increase speed further to complete the Half in 2:00 hrs.

One can finish either one of HM / 2/3 or FM during the race. I decided to continue further if doesn't hurt at 3/2 distance. After 30 km, I felt fatigue in legs. Actually I did not care much about pain/fatigue in legs, but it was  uncomfortable to run. At the 32 km mark, it was more than one hour left to finish it in 4 hrs.

But it was difficult to run even at slow pace. So I walked for 30 sec after running every few hundred meters(may be every half km), This

uncomfortable running and walk continued till the finish line.

-------------------------------------
    Chip Timing

split         time       diff

7 km      00:39:15 39:15
    18 km    01:40:51 01:01:36
    Half        01:59:03 00:18:12
    33.7 km 03:09:42 01:10:39
    net         04:11:26 01:01:44

----------------------------------------

So I kept a pace of about 05:37 min/km in 33.7 km , then on wards 07:18 min/Km for the Run-walk part. 

I think I did not bonk, It was the leg fatigue that caused the trouble.

Even though I did not take any gels during the run, I drink sports drinks/water from most of the stations
    took several banana pieces or fruit bars. I took 3 salt-stick tablets during the first 3 hrs to cope with
    sweating.

PRS 10K 00:49:15 HM 1:51:30 FM 4:11:30 

Congratulations on your first marathon!

Most folks here talk in miles rather than km, so I've added the average mile pace to your chart in hopes that will get more responses.

-------------------------------------
      Chip Timing

split         time              diff                mile pace

7 km      00:39:15     39:15               9:01
      18 km    01:40:51     01:01:36          9:01
      Half        01:59:03    00:18:12          9:27
      33.7 km 03:09:42    01:10:39           9:01
      net         04:11:26    01:01:44          11:41

----------------------------------------

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on completing your first marathon.  It sounds like you were doing well until the last bit, and even then you came close to your four hour goal.  How many miles a week were you running in training?  Which race was it?  Was it a good race, aside from tired legs at the end?

thumshaj

Granite , thanks for the conversions and pace calculation.

The Race is Gutenberg marathon Mainz, Germany.  It is a good city marathon, bad weather might have affected running times, but it doesn't reduce the mood of spectators and runners. Very good support from volunteers and spectators. More than 9000 runners took part in it, most of them are in Half, so the first half is more enjoyable and crowded.  see the pictures

BeeRunB

4:11 is a fine first marathon. Good finish and congratulations.

HCH

The best running advice anyone ever gave me (besides slow down and run more) was not to fixate on a time goal for my first marathon. It is such a learning experience! You can predict fairly accurately what your time will be for shorter distances, but the marathon is another story. Savor the experience and celebrate your hard training. You can worry about setting and beating your time goal in your second marathon.

The progression of your kilometer splits is pretty typical for beginning marathoners. I have watched the final 10 km of my local marathon many times, and I'm always surprised at how many people I see walking -- even folks who are on track to finish under 3:00. Now that you have your first race behind you, you know what to expect and you know you can get through the pain that inevitably comes in the late miles. You may have started out a little too fast, especially if your training was low mileage. I like to start a little slow for the first couple of miles before easing into a pace that is slightly faster than my goal pace.

Congratulations on your first marathon and good luck with your training!

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

thumshaj

Thanks for the encouragement. I knew 4:00 hr  kind of optimistic time for a first timer. I thought the following were the beneficial for me

• All my runs are on empty stomach, I took very little fuel and drinks for the long runs so I hoped it would enable fat burning efficiently.
                • My running route has moderate elevation, I usually run downhills not that fast pace, I hoped for a flat course this would be advantageous, In addition more than 70 % my training distance is on local park  which has fixed sand as surface
                • I started running back-to-back long runs even before 16 weeks(usual training cycle) prior to marathon. I had several 30 km week-end runs(e.g. 12(sat)+18(Sun) or 10(sat)+20(Sun). I hoped this would help as well.

I thought following would negatively affect the race

• heavy sweating . Race day raining and mild temps was helpful for this issue.
                • No drinking/fueling practices during training runs, reluctant to use gels(I could drink well and eat during the race, I haven't used any gels).
                • Never run in sunlight/warm temps(Fortunately no warm temps during the race)

joescott

Let's just call it a marathon instead of an "FM".  I know it's my problem but it creeps me out slightly for some reason. 

Congratulations!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Nothing wrong with 4:11, nothing at all!

Enjoyed the pics of the race.  American marathons really need more costumed mascots with huge heads, and actual cheerleaders.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

thumshaj

ya, you are right.

I started explicitly mention "Full Marathon", after several times people telling that "he ran marathon", even when I just ran a 10K.  But they are not runners, not even distinguish much between marathon and half marathon.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Let's just call it a marathon instead of an "FM".  I know it's my problem but it creeps me out slightly for some reason. 

Congratulations!

Frequency Modulation? Smile

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Frequency Modulation? Smile

Family medicine?

A marathon is a set distance.  So why say "full marathon" when "marathon" will work much more efficiently?

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Family medicine?

A marathon is a set distance.  So why say "full marathon" when "marathon" will work much more efficiently?

We've been over this.  With the proliferation of 5K marathons and mini marathons and mud marathons and seesaw marathons and whatnot, you have to be specific.  This is a 26.2 mile full marathon that you run the whole 26.2 miles (with luck).

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

We've been over this.  With the proliferation of 5K marathons and mini marathons and mud marathons and seesaw marathons and whatnot, you have to be specific.  This is a 26.2 mile full marathon that you run the whole 26.2 miles (with luck).

But... but... but... my Garmin, Nike+, and Runkeeper said it was only 26.057985432!  Another person's said 26.8.  So the course *HAD* to be wrong!

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

joescott

LOL!  Indeed! 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.