DFW runner--opinions on the Big D run in april? (Read 739 times)

I'm looking to make the Big D Texas Half my next half, but I was wondering if it's a good race. Any opinions? Thanks!
    Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!
      I'd assume the BIG D Texas Half Marathon and Marathon is comparable to the White Rock Half Marathon.... except you'll probably have a lot warmer temps! On the 10K you are running in 2 weeks, the last part is not nice, but you've done a HM so it should not be an issue.

Vim

I ran the Big D 1/2 last year and I'm signed up to run the full this year. I remember it being well supported both at the start, finish, and at the water stops. The food at the end was good. Plenty of port-a-potties at the start. At the time it was the biggest race I had run but I imagine it was and will still be small compared to what you experienced at White Rock. During the early miles I remember the roads being wide enough that I never felt crowded. The marathon split is at mile 4, the southwest corner of the lake. Then you run along the side of the lake which is always nice. Shortly after you the leave the lake you merge back into the marathon route near mile 19. The uphill section between miles 20 -21 wasn't fun but it's the only noticable uphill section I recall. After you pass the big houses on Swiss Ave. it get's a little boring and it stays that way until you're back inside Fair Park. That would probably be my only complaint, the last couple miles are not very interesting. I'm waiting to see the forecast before signing up for Cowtown. Good luck.
        mbk

I did the full a few years ago, and I drove around the course and cheered for my stepbrother last year when he did the half. I'll be out there this year as a coach for Team in Training (probably sweeping for the Full Marathon). The biggest issue I would mention (and which has already been mentioned) is that it is a much smaller race than White Rock and the crowd support is almost non-existent. That doesn't bother me but if you are someone who is motivated by big crowds cheering you all the way, this may not be the race for you. Some of the TNT folks say this race is not well supported for slower runners and walkers, but since you are doing the half this shouldn't be an issue (and I have no idea what your pace is). I think this race is fine, just depends what you are looking for. Modal, what has been your experience with Cowtown? I'm signed up for the 50k.
            MBK, I've only done the 10K, but the ending of it and the half/marathon/ultra are exactly the same. The ending is... well... the not so nice part. derek's 10k post from last year 50K looks like you will be picking up extra mileage running an out and back on part of the Trinity Trail before hitting the not so nice part.

Vim

mbk

Ahh, I see. Is it not so nice because it's boring, or a rough part of town? I've heard people say this race is not that great, ugly and boring. I'm only doing it for the 50k option and it works well with my schedule.
                Ahh, I see. Is it not so nice because it's boring, or a rough part of town?
                The latter part (what I refer to as the not so nice part) just has a nice little hill.

Vim

mbk

The latter part (what I refer to as the not so nice part) just has a nice little hill.
                  Just what I need at the end of a 50k. Sad Luckily my last training run was two loops of the Dallas Half. I parked my car at the boathouses so that the hills would be at the end of each loop. It was tough on the second loop but I survived. See you at the race! Do you know who else will be there besides, you, me and Courtney (and maybe Streetch)?
                    Just what I need at the end of a 50k. Sad Luckily my last training run was two loops of the Dallas Half. I parked my car at the boathouses so that the hills would be at the end of each loop. It was tough on the second loop but I survived. See you at the race! Do you know who else will be there besides, you, me and Courtney (and maybe Streetch)?
                    RA Cowtown Post for 2008 Current list Bonkin (aka Pukemeister, Bonkinzuma's Revenge, Stomach Churner, Purgenator) - Marathon Courtney98 - 10k Len - Half Marathon MBK - Ultra Marathon modal - Marathon Hopefully, I'll see some of you all out there to wish you well.

Vim

RA Cowtown Post for 2008 Current list Bonkin (aka Pukemeister, Bonkinzuma's Revenge, Stomach Churner, Purgenator) - Marathon Courtney98 - 10k Len - Half Marathon MBK - Ultra Marathon modal - Marathon Hopefully, I'll see some of you all out there to wish you well.
                      Thanks for all the new titles, Modal. Can I refill your water bottle? Big grin Add to the list Jagadeesh and Ben for the half. Both of them are coworkers of mine and one of them (Jagadeesh) keeps his log here - but doesn't post.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

mbk

Bonkin, as a pre-emptive measure I'm planning to puke on you if you get near me before or during the race! Tight lipped Be forewarned!
                          Bonkin, as a pre-emptive measure I'm planning to puke on you if you get near me before or during the race! Tight lipped Be forewarned!
                          Make sure you don't get dehydrated while puking, because then I'd have to refill your water bottle. Big grin Seriously though, good luck to everyone out there and hope to see you all!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Blush You can cut me off the list. Life got in the way recently and I will not be doing anything at Cowtown. Maybe next year. You guys have a great time!!! I'll wish good weather on you.
                            Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!
                              Blush You can cut me off the list. Life got in the way recently and I will not be doing anything at Cowtown. Maybe next year. You guys have a great time!!! I'll wish good weather on you.
                              Well best on pursuing your next race.

Vim