Half Mary Race Report (Read 429 times)

Gotta TRI

Well I am SUPER PSYCHED!!!! Today was my second ever half marathon and I KICKED it!! A quick reminder to those who may not recall, I quit smoking in Aug. 07, I was 214 lbs. on Jan. 07, and I turned 40 in Nov.07. I'm now 176 lbs, definatly an ex-smoker, and still 40 Big grin. I ran my 1st half in Feb. 08. It rained ,it snowed, my feet hurt and I came in at 2:22. On to today: I was feeling awesome this week. Ran some good mileage and was pumped for this race. Yesterday at work lifted something I probably shouldn't have and really tweaked my back! Angry My thanks to my chiropractor for taking me in yesterday. Last night it was killing me! This morning I did have serious thoughts of bailing out of the race. Aside from the back pain I was feeling good though, so I raced. Miles 1&2 were a little rough, and ironically it wasn't my back that hurt but my shins right down low at the ankles. Then all of a sudden BAM! I just took off. I settled into a nice rythym and just cranked. Mile 4 took on a little protein in the form of a black fly Tongue My splits were looking good though, I was running under a ten minute pace. Miles 6-11 turned hilly. Man if I wasn't running uphill, I was going down. But I didn't let up, nice and steady. 11-13 I picked up the pace a bit, quads starting to really burn now. The last tenth of a mile I can see the finish line so i poured it on. Net time finish:2:00:17!!! I'm ecstatic!! Elated! And, surprisingly, feel pretty good to boot!! Added note: DW also ran and finished 2:12.
    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
      Sweet race. You killed it!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Holy crap, a 22 minute PR?! Shocked That is un-friggin-real! I guess I know who got my speed, today--awesome race, Andy! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Andy, dude, that's one awesome race you had there! Congrats! I think there will be more stories like this in your future. What's next for you?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Great run. Let the good times fall

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

The Greatest of All Time

Great job Andy!!! Keep up the good work.
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                Congratulations!! That is an awesome PR! Smile

Michelle

Awesome job! You PR'd by 20%... wow. What a fun race. I was there too - the disco water stop was fabulous. They were playing "It's Raining Men" when I went through, which I'm a little shamed to admit is one of my favorite songs ever. Someone on the course also told me it was all downhill after mile 6. Uh, no. Not so much. Anyways, congrats on a great race (and your wife too!)
                    Way to f'n go!!

- Anya

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Way to go, especially with the back pain! Ouch. It will be easy for you to break 2:00 now! Congratulations to your wife, too. What is her history with running?

Think Whirled Peas

Awesome PR Andy!!!! Shocked Congrats and keep up the great work!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Super run Andy; I got all excited just reading about it. You didn't just beat your old PR, you smashed it! Days like this make it all worth while. Congratulations!
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                            Nice job! That fly protein must have done the trick Tongue
                            Heroes never die. They just reload.