Indoor Track equivalent (Read 109 times)

DoppleBock

The only indoor track I can run on is 18 laps to a mile - It is significantly harder to be trying to do a tight corner 72 times a mile than running on the road.

What do you think the equivalent is of running on an indoor track versus on the road?

I was thinking that due to the softer surface compared to concrete or asphalt plus the fact that it is flat except for the banked corners versus variable terrain that counting only 85-90% of my mileage would be about right.

So if I am running 60 miles a week with an easy pace of 8:00/mile then when I switch back to running outside I should drop to about 50 miles at an 8:30 easy pace and build back up from there?

I feel like my mileage and speed just about justify that number but I was wondering what others thought.  

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Walk-Jogger

The only indoor track I can run on is 18 laps to a mile - It is significantly harder to be trying to do a tight corner 72 times a mile than running on the road.

+1  

I run all winter on a 200 meter indoor track so it's only 8 laps to the 1600m, but the corners are sharp 90 degree bends, and they slow me down some when I'm in a hurry. And after 60-80 laps I really start hating the turns. They're hard on the inside leg and hip at full speed. Fortunately the track direction is reversed every day. I raced on a 290 meter track last weekend (weird laps distances but gentler turns) and the turns were noticeably easier to run, and therefore faster. It may only amount to a few seconds per mile, but every second counts. I imagine if running outside on a completely straight flat track with no curves (if such a thing existed?) I could have shaved off another second or two, assuming no wind and similar air temps.

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

That is nucking futs.  Calculates to very close to a 100 yard track - you couldn't pay me to run on that thing.

xhristopher

The outdoor track is easier since it's only 4 laps to a mile, not 18!

Lane

That is nucking futs.  Calculates to very close to a 100 yard track - you couldn't pay me to run on that thing.

In college we had an elevated, 80yd track above one of the gyms.

It was made of wood and the turns were "banked" so that the track formed a quarter circle; the very inside was flat, the very outside was at a 90 degree angle.  I did several runs over 10 miles and it was rumored that one of the professors had run 20+ on it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... Fortunately the track direction is reversed every day....

That's nice of them to come out and reverse the track every night for you.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.