My running partner died a year ago. (Read 1103 times)

I feel like this is a good place to chat about it...

Some of you may recall me sharing this story a year ago. 
    Mike and I were training for MCM and at mile 8 he dropped dead of a heart attack, dying in my arms on the side of the road before anyone ever got to us.  

Worst day of my life.

So yesterday, on the 1-year anniversary of his death, I figured I'd go out and run the loop that we started out on. My wife looked at me like I was crazy, "Are you sure that's what you should be doing?"  No! I wasn't sure of anything! I just felt like it was something I needed to do to honor/remember the man. To finish what we started and do the whole 13 miler.

I started out at the same time as last year, hitting start on my Garmin at 6:04am. The first several miles were nice and smooth, keeping an easy pace and just re-living the miles and last conversation I had with Mike.

Mile 7 - the dread started to sink in. I was not looking forward to turning the corner at mile 8 and the memories that would come with it.

When I approached the spot, I was hit with such a wave of emotion that I had to stop and just weep. I'm pretty strong and in control over my emotions, I think - but it hit so hard and fast that it just stopped me. It was such a traumatic experience that I think the flood of emotion took over. I took some time to collect myself, pray for his wife and kids, and picked myself up to keep going.

Mike would kick my butt if I ever stopped. Smile

The last 5 miles were incredible. I liked to envision Mike's hand on my back, pushing me along, encouraging me to keep moving forward...

I ran negative splits and finished very strong. 

I am forever grateful for knowing Mike. I'm a better person for it. What a wonderful husband, father, and friend he was. He left a powerful legacy behind. I'll never understand or fully be "ok" with these things, but I know that God is in control, and nothing is ever out of His grasp. I fully believe He never makes mistakes or says "oops". So I can rest in that.

Thanks for letting me share. You people rock.  

I remember. What an awesome tribute to your friend by doing that run! I'll bet it would have made him happy to know you did it. Smile
      Turbolegs

Mark - thanks for sharing this. Your friend am sure would have been proud of you.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Thanks for sharing.  What a great tribute.

A fitting tribute to your friend and running partner. I recall your posts last year and thought of you from time to time as I pondered my own mortality -  mostly on long runs. Peace to you.

kcam

I also remember your post.  Very touching story, thanks for sharing it.  I can imagine how good those last 5 miles felt, your story reminds us of how the memory of a friend or loved one can provide inspiration in the times we need it.  

Mr Play

I remember too.  That had to be really tough, but I hope it helped.  Thanks for sharing.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It's a pretty memorable and sad story. I remembered it as well.

What a run to do a year later! Nicely done!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When I approached the spot, I was hit with such a wave of emotion that I had to stop and just weep. I'm pretty strong and in control over my emotions, I think - but it hit so hard and fast that it just stopped me. It was such a traumatic experience that I think the flood of emotion took over. I took some time to collect myself, pray for his wife and kids, and picked myself up to keep going.

You are strong...I don't think anyone who had gone through that with a dear friend wouldn't have the same response.  Your friend's family are lucky to have a friend like you.  I'm glad the run was a good experience for you, too.  That was a really beautiful way to honor him.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'd like to think that my running partner would honor me in such a way when I'm gone.  

How we remember our dead is perhaps the most sacred part of life.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

You are a good friend.

Mark,

I remember your post and your story.  I've thought about you over the past year.

Sometimes, a person's life through death can lead so many people to better understand Him.

I remember your profession, and remember your challenges as you deal with your youth. 

Stay strong, my friend!

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Mark, it seems as though in your run you symbolically as well as literally ran past the place where you lost Mike - and you have drawn strength from him as you passed that point.  It was the right thing for you to do.  Best wishes; we can only imagine how painful it is to lose someone like that.

Am I doing this right?

Wow!  It is dusty in here.  

What a great tribute.  I too remember the original post (that one was pretty dusty too if I remember correctly).  I can't think of a better way to remember him than to do that run.  Sounds very cathartic.

No excuses....

Maggie & Molly

I remember.  What a wonderful tribute. 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                                Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363