Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - Good luck with the rest of the training week.
    The last I heard Australia had some incredibly restrictive (and potentially very expensive) travel policies - I doubt I'd want to risk it either. Is there a more local race option you could defer to?

My grandfather passed away a few weeks ago, and your tale of your mum's stubbornness is quite familiar to me. He would absolutely never press his call button for help with anything, not wanting to inconvenience or be a burden upon those whose job it was to literally help with anything he might need. I suppose a lifetime of largely farming work and running things himself greatly contributed to it.
    Anyway, I hope your mum continues to improve and maybe even agrees to ask for help from time to time.

I did my very first progression run this morning! Nothing too strenuous at all, just going from easy to a bit under marathon effort. Pace-wise it looks like a garbage workout, but looks better through the lens of power or GAP.

This is almost certainly a feeling that is rising due to being "trapped" within the frame of a coach's plan for the first time, but all of a sudden I'm getting the urge to absolutely hammer some local segments or jump into a 50k. You know, things that in no way, shape, or form fit into the structure of what I'm currently focusing on!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

CK - Nice work on the progression run.  One of my favourite kinds or workout, usually end up feeling strong and getting faster.

At the moment, travel between NZ and Australia is not restrictive and I'm only really considering it to see old friends and do a big race (I lived in Melbourne for 9 years).

I chuckled about your comment about Mum not asking for help...she's happy to ask me to basically move in and be a full time carer, rather than changing her living arrangements which should have happened 4-5 years ago!  Your grandfather sounds tough and stubborn.  I guess my worst nightmare is her falling at home and passing away by herself and potentially being there for some time (exactly what happened with my Dad).  Anyway, back to training talk which is far less stressful!  This sort of thing during peak marathon training is not great, to be completely selfish.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - tough scenario with your mother.  My mother had the same issue with my grandmother - incredibly stubborn and just not up for any sort of outside help (except from my mum!) even though she really needed it.  It got to the stage where she was pretty clearly developing dementia and it wasn't safe for her being at home by herself, but she refused to go to a home, and every time the nurse showed up to test her mental state she was miraculously lucid.

Anyway that long run with MP was really solid so hopefully that cheered you up.

Keen - NZ has a travel bubble with Australia at the moment.  Which means residents of each can freely travel between the two countries unless there's some sort of spot outbreak and then there maybe specific border closures (typically state by state, in Australia's case).  The bubble opened 6 weeks ago and since then there's been at least 3 separate incidents that have resulted in temporary border closures (most recently in Melbourne).  It'd be nice to go to Australia but at the moment the risk is just too high that you'll get stuck there for longer than you expect!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Keen I will quite often go out for an easy run and notice it getting naturally faster each km then I sometimes turn it into a full progression finishing near 10k pace.

Steve thats sounds tough work. Luckily my sister lives near my parents who are 90 now. They are still good touch wood.

I hope I didn't offend you on strava when I said you were stating easy pace. It was just tongue 👅 in cheek 

I bought a couple of 10kg plates today to add to my squats when I'm ready.

I did strength again today but kept the squats to 2 sets of 10 with only 10kg on the bar.

Nobody answered my question on how often to do strength. Is it once or twice a week for running?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi - Not offended!  And you prompted my coach to chime in too, haha

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I bought a couple of 10kg plates today to add to my squats when I'm ready.

I did strength again today but kept the squats to 2 sets of 10 with only 10kg on the bar.

Nobody answered my question on how often to do strength. Is it once or twice a week for running?

Twice is good if you can fit it in.  I'm doing once at the moment and would do twice if I could but I'm a bit time constrained and to be honest it's quite nice having a sleep in on Friday and a full day off!  I do a good hour's worth on the one day I do strength training though, including lower body, upper body and core.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Thanks Mark. 1 hour is a good session.

Steve thats good 👍

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

RP - that’s a great 5x1K workout, but it’s pretty close just a few days before the race. I hope you have legs left for the race now. Good luck!

Zeb - Interesting, when I was training for the 1500 I did a few weeks of deadlifts and I was deadlifting around 205lbs by the end.

Now you have to deadlift 210, you know why 😈

Piwi - the best strength training is the one that you do Big grin

I guess start with once a week for 20 minutes, then increase that to twice a week after a month.

If you wish to add stuff, then let it be body weight without weights like split squat, bulgarian squat, planks, bear pose, crocodile walk, pike pushups. Never to failure.

Let those tendons adapt.

Yeah, I’ve always wanted to be independent, by 14 I finally found a full time job (minimum age was 14 I believe).

So I left my parents home and went on to pay my own bills etc.

Jmac - The more important question is - are you still stronger than your daughter? 🤡

Steve - You are in a perfect flow of late. Now it’s a very fine balance to keep you around this area without tipping over or peaking too early.

Keen - yeah, that's why a coach is so great, they don't let you do these "wild stuff" which are very bad for training progress. I'm willing to bet that you will see a 3 to 5% break through just from better tapering and peaking at the right time.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Steve sorry to hear about your mom

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

piwi - Not offended!  And you prompted my coach to chime in too, haha

I think we've told Steve for years now that his easy pace sometimes creeps up too fast. I'm glad he doesn't listen to his coach either. At least we have some insight now into where his stubbornness comes from 

Flavio - for now, I am stronger. I was playing my wife in some pickleball last week on vacation (awesome game, it's like a combination of table tennis and real tennis into one game). Anyway, I was beating her very handily, so I asked her whether I should treat her like 2 year old April (let her win some games) or 7 year old April (never let her win). She's just as competitive as me: was offended I'd even think about letting her win a single point, let alone a game.

Keen - I never used to do progression runs either. But one day I just did it naturally in a long run as I was feeling good, and I've never looked back. They're an awesome part of training and I'm glad you're finding some serious motivation. I agree with flavio that you are going to see some major breakthroughs here.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

flavio I could feel some stiffness/soreness in the legs yesterday

mark maybe I should travel to Australia. My office says working from home must be approved by June 30 and even then it’s 2-3 days a week. We have an employee who moved two plane flights away last year so maybe I could get stuck in Australia and still get emails and do my work. My wife might be mad at me being gone so long though. ‘Sorry honey it’s unsafe to return to an infant and toddler. I’ll send money.’

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zebano

Steve, Sorry about your Mum. My Grandpa was that way but thankfully my Grandma was still around so at least he wasn't alone when he fell and she'd call for help.

Keen Those stupid ideas are both terrible for hitting your A-goal but great for making the running journey fun and enjoyable. It's a tough balancing act.

Piwi I agree with Mark that twice is better than once. I've tried three times and for me it was too much. That said Flavio really nailed that whatever plan you can stick to is way better than any other plan. I also remember you mentioning that you're an electrician so you actually work for a living  but you may not need as much supplemental work as those of us that sit at desks.

Flavio I am only lifting once this week because I'm racing this weekend, but I'll beat your 205 next week 

edit: check out last week

Naturally occurring progression runs are awesome!! Especially where you're just working down to maybe M pace instead of the more serious faster paces. I had one 17ish mile run around a lake that just naturally started at 9:20/mi and just gradually got faster until 8 /mi and it was just so perfect.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Zebano not an electrician but a security installer which is lighter work but still reasonably active. I have been doing core for quite a few months and upper body is pretty strong through work and play. So mainly its the additional strength to my legs.

Jmac you messed up. Let her win but don't tell her that you went easy 

Flavio I wouldn't kick him out onto the street but the threat is there to try and improve his behavior. 14 is young but you turned out good 👍

No soreness today after yesterday's strength. Got some Pegasus 37s yesterday to use for daily training.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - Glad I could provide a bit of a chuckle.

RP - How's the travel?

Flavio & JMac - That's exactly what I'm looking for in a coach!

JMac - I'd certainly train in the "old" VFs. Each time I get a new pair of racing shoes (whatever they are) I relegate what they replace to workout duty.

Zebano - It would be more "exciting" to go off the rails a bit, but I'm certainly staying the course for now. This year I "get fast" at the 5k, then the marathon, and after crushing those goals I can go run some ultras next year.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Steve - very sorry about the issues with your Mum.  You and her are in my thoughts.

One thing I like about progression runs - they are easy on the body.  Much easier than just launching into a pace.  As we get older, I think that's one of the biggest benefits of them.  They also get your body into the habit of speeding up as you go - which is an excellent habit to have for racing.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.