Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave - sorry it didn't go quite as planned but sounds like a good hitout all the same.  Some days just everyone has a slow day.  Those uneven surfaces can make it hard work as well.

Zebano - great job on the triathlon.  Sub-20 for sure if you hit it fresh on a good course!

Steve - hope you didn't cop it too badly.  Looks like it was very serious in a few places with multiple bridges washed out.  I see what you mean though, no point being melodramatic though if you're just stuck inside for a bit, as opposed to actually being forced to evacuate your house or seeing your stock swept away!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Zebano nice job on the triathlon. You will just have to go out and spend $5000 on a cheap tri bike 🚲 😉

Really good pace on the run bodes well for your next 5k.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Darkwave - sorry your race didn't go as well as hoped.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

watsonc123

Edit - after looking at Strava and the RR, I think Darkwave did pretty well on a course that was probably slow.

Keen - put me down for two races

Trentham Park Run

5 June

5km

Aim 20:59

Dorne Cup Cross Country

12 June

Aim 33:20

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

DW Nice job again on the Race & Nice read on the RR too.  That's cool you got to meet JT.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

zebano

Zebano nice job on the triathlon. You will just have to go out and spend $5000 on a cheap tri bike 🚲 😉

Really good pace on the run bodes well for your next 5k.

I really like the sport of Triathlon. I really really really hate how much speed you can buy on the bike and I'm not quite ready for a divorce.

DWave  Shame about the race but if most everyone is running slow then take it with a grain of salt. In addition to loving trails, I can tell we're very different runners because I absolutely love running in the rain. It's simply the best. I forgot about your ankle injury, good luck getting that rehabbed. Is it more of a proprioception issue or just a mobility issue?

CFarr  I do recommend doing a sprint tri. They're a lot of fun and recovery is faster than the longer running events. You don't need to invest in a good bike, it just makes it more fun. There were a few people on mountain bikes or hybrids last weekend.

In other news, my small track group is back together!!!! It's so nice to have other people out there running hard even if we're not doing the same workout.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RP - Nice race over the weekend. How did the whole trip go?

Watson - Well done in your XC race.

DWave - Looking forward to reading that RR when I have a bit of free time.

ETA: If you feel like you need/want some extra practice with rough roads come visit me. Most of the paved roads I run on have extensive stretches like the one in your streetview picture. The dirt and gravel roads, however, are typically quite nice.

Zebano - Nice job in that tri, too! And awesome that your track group is together again.

Flavio - Feeling better yet?

Steve - Congrats on the kilometerage PR! Also, your rants amuse me.

Piwi, Mark - Good weeks.

Week 1 with a coach is in the books! Pretty easy on the intensity, which is good as I've basically only done easy runs for a few months now. The progression run was fun (GAP and power-based splits look prettier than pace!), and I also don't know that I've specifically picked up the pace at the end of a long run before. Tempo run coming up on Wednesday!

Weekly for period: From: 05/24/2021 To 05/30/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                in ft
                05/24 5 rabbits, 1 owl, 1 hawk, & 1 heron 12.05 19.39 01:39:32 08:16 05:08 492
                05/25 7 turkeys, 5 ducks, & 3 Mississippi kites 10.15 16.34 01:23:11 08:12 05:05 322
                05/25 5 turkey vultures 4.55 7.32 00:36:45 08:05 05:01 157
                05/26 6E, 4 miles with progressing effort, 2E 12.26 19.72 01:36:36 07:53 04:54 463
                05/27 3 rabbits & 1 heron 8.75 14.09 01:14:52 08:33 05:19 335
                05/27 Early runch break 4.60 7.40 00:39:14 08:32 05:18 180
                05/28 1 deer (1 stride) & a short detour for a conversation with other runners! 11.05 17.78 01:30:00 08:09 05:04 430
                05/29 3 hawks & 1 coyote 14.05 22.61 01:52:00 07:58 04:57 486
                05/30 3 rabbits & 2 scissor-tailed flycatchers 4.05 6.52 00:35:11 08:41 05:24 102

Total distance: 81.53mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

zebano

Week 1 with a coach is in the books! Pretty easy on the intensity, which is good as I've basically only done easy runs for a few months now. The progression run was fun (GAP and power-based splits look prettier than pace!), and I also don't know that I've specifically picked up the pace at the end of a long run before. Tempo run coming up on Wednesday!

Yeah that can be a lot of fun or a ton of pain. I like that you're using power for those splits as I often feel like as you get closer and closer to T pace the effort required to go faster at the end of a long run grows exponentially and sometimes you increase effort but the pace just holds steady. Progressing from E ->M is not a big deal and can feel really good but faster stuff, ugg. Your HR on that run is exceptionally low, which I'm sure says something about your MaxHR but also that you seem to average 80mpw really easily.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Yeah that can be a lot of fun or a ton of pain. I like that you're using power for those splits as I often feel like as you get closer and closer to T pace the effort required to go faster at the end of a long run grows exponentially and sometimes you increase effort but the pace just holds steady. Progressing from E ->M is not a big deal and can feel really good but faster stuff, ugg. Your HR on that run is exceptionally low, which I'm sure says something about your MaxHR but also that you seem to average 80mpw really easily.

I do think that incorporating fast finish LRs and progressions will be really good for me, particularly from a mental perspective. These are workouts I've never done, and should help quiet some voices that whisper "this deep into a run the best you can do is hold this pace".
                    My HR has been awesomely low for the effort lately (by MAF or HRR by HR ceiling should be ~144-5, and I'm averaging 10-15bpm below that most runs) but we have had a slow start to warmer weather around here, which certainly helps.

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - awesome awesome 100K!

Zeb - I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to run a 21 min 5k after all that swimming and biking. Outstanding!

Darkwave - very entertaining race report. I’m surprised to read you still see internet ads.

Keen - the heart race monitor on my wife’s watch does not work well, I think she’s got tiny wrists is the cause.\

I’m now looking at those arm band heart rate monitors.

Nice week.

me - I'm feeling slightly better. I'm really going overboard with taking spirulina and vit D pills, curcuma shot, acerola shot (vit c), ginger lemon shot, I'm like throwing the book at it.

We're in Swiss cheese land now.

Switzerland has no outdoors mask mandate.

Cheers to governments who use science to dictate their rules.

Switzerland is awesome on so many levels. It's the first world's first world. I have no idea how the hell they got so rich while being land locked. They must be super smart.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio sounds nice there. They even won the America's cup once and without a coast!

Keen that variety will help alot in your training. I did a fast finish longrun on Sunday although my long is only 13 miles.

They prove that you are strong and have good endurance.

Zeb yeah one reason I've never done tri is the cost of a bike.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

RP - didn't realize it was a PR. You are the bizzaro version of Mark where you run very good marathons but all of your shorter times don't line up. Any idea why?

Steve - with your new found 7:30 easy pace, I expect you to run sub 2:45 in this marathon 

Flavio - do you ever plan to settle down in a country permanently, i.e. 5+ years?

Corey - nice week.

Zebano - how does a wet suit deal with your hands? I would imagine my hands would be freezing after that long in cold water. Also, you love running in the rain? I love it at certain temperatures, generally 60+. I actually think my favorite is when it's about 75 and raining: you are nice and warm, but the rain cools you down and creates an awesome feeling when running. This Saturday when I ran it was 15-20 mph headwind and 45 degrees with rain. If you enjoy that, you have issues 

DW - since this is the proper non marathon thread, will comment that I loved the race report. Still can't believe you don't use a watch at all in a race. I'm all about feel but I need a check in the first few miles of any race. Marathons especially: mile 3 is my danger point where I run the risk of running too fast.

Keen - I'm about 90% now to run CIM. Looking forward to meeting up. Plan to have a beer in the post-race corral . Also as stated, big fan of progression long runs down to MP+10%. Never was crazy about the ones that end near 10K pace for a shorter progression run.

Me - my 5K race looks like bad conditions this weekend: 77F with 63DP at race time and full sunshine (it's at 8:30 am when the sun rises at 5:30 this time of year). Classic summer race conditions here in the northeast when the high temps generally are in the upper 80s. It's a rust buster though, so overall time not as important and will not really be checking the forecast too much until the day prior, which is sacrilege on this board. I figure those conditions are maybe 10 seconds per mile? So sub 17:30 would be good, but just looking for a good effort. The entire point of this race is to remember how to embrace the suck.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - with your new found 7:30 easy pace, I expect you to run sub 2:45 in this marathon 

Ha!  It was one easy run and the pace didn't creep up quite that much.  I've made some adjustments since then.

Someone needs to take on your role of complaining about your weather complaining.

Zebano - I realised I missed commenting on your tri and particularly your 5km time during it.  That is an amazing effort.  I think you could go 2-3 mins faster than that in a 5km race.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - I highly recommend either the Polar OH1+ or Polar Verity Sense. They latter is essentially just a refresh of the former, with the most relevant change being that the Verity has ~20 hours of battery life instead of ~10. I ended up having issues with (and returning) my Scosche Rhythm+ 2, and so wouldn't recommend that one (though I loved the ~24 hour battery life).

JMac - Yes! Wait for me in the post-race corral. Hopefully I'll only be ~20 minutes behind you.

Running in the rain: I freakin' love it, especially 60F/15.5C+. Yesterday morning it started raining on me halfway from my front door to the street and rained the entire way. Fortunately I got across the spillway by the lake before the water really started flowing.

Upcoming Races:

zebano

me - I'm feeling slightly better. I'm really going overboard with taking spirulina and vit D pills, curcuma shot, acerola shot (vit c), ginger lemon shot, I'm like throwing the book at it.

We're in Swiss cheese land now.

Switzerland has no outdoors mask mandate.

Cheers to governments who use science to dictate their rules.

Switzerland is awesome on so many levels. It's the first world's first world. I have no idea how the hell they got so rich while being land locked. They must be super smart.

Flavio That is a serious dose of panaceas. I hope it works. FWIW my tri-loving co-worker swears by Vit C. Sounds like a great place to live as long as swiss cheese land doesn't mean potholes.

Piwi - My bike Rig cost me $420 and I take an unhealthy amount of pleasure in passing people who invest more heavily in their bikes than in their bodies.

JMac - Most wetsuits don't though I hear there are neoprene gloves you can buy. Rune would actually know more about that than I do. I ended up spending probably an extra minute in Transition 1 trying to put on normal gloves for the bike before giving up and just riding (I have a mild case of Raynaud's).

I've had two of my best random hour long runs ever when I headed out in heavy rain and (IIRC) 55F and just turned them into fartleks. Great times and I feel like a beast for being the only one awesome stupid enough to be out there exercising. I've always hoped to have a race in similar conditions but the closest I've had was a half marathon in 35 and light rain which was miserable, mostly because of my aforementioned Raynaud's.

Good for you on not checking the weather. You can't control it, all you can do is dress properly and adjust your pace/effort a little. Why waste time worrying.

Steve Thanks, I'll run 3 minutes faster when you run your 2:45 marathon   Seriously, thank you for the sentiment. Part of my goal this year is to believe in myself and spend more time  running and less time thinking.  I hope the town is ok, I've heard nothing about your flooding over here in 'Murica.