Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

JamesD

JamesD

JamesD Does your treadmill start at 0 and count up? The one treadmill I owned (old, free, craigslist find) would let you set a time and count down with the maximum being 99, but if I started at 0 and hit START it would just round over, or maybe I have that backwards. Either way it made me think of offering the advice.

Thanks for the suggestion.  The treadmill starts at 0 and counts up.  I had to dig into the manual (which the gym thoughtfully leaves on the table with old outdoor magazines) to figure out how to increase both the maximum time and the default time to 99:00, and it won't let me go any higher (only 4 digits of display, and I can't change the seconds).  I don't think I saw anything about switching it to counting down instead of up, but I'll take a look tomorrow.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Running Problem

Problem Child

James if it counts up and stops at 99 you might be SOL. I think that's how I got mine to roll over. Setting a time of 99 minutes and counting down to zero will probably make it stop every time. Either way....it's weird things runners do. Finding out the maximum time limit of a treadmill probably isn't something a Crossfitter does. Maybe cyclists don't have this problem.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Re: treadmill limits - some treadmills have a "manager mode" where you can change the time limit.  Of course, if you're using a gym treadmill, the gym may not like you changing their treadmill settings.

Fluffy supposedly has a 99 minute limit, but I've been able to circumvent it by setting a distance target.  So now my workouts all have a target distance of 15 or 20 miles (and Fluffy thinks that I just wimp out early)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RP - Solid week. No, I have a Fenix 5XPlus. Never used a Coros, and don't plan on it based on numerous factors (ripping off Garmin designs down to the font, lack of features I use frequently / "we'll add it in a software update later" approach, et. al).

Are you using a VPN? Mine isn't playing well with the app.

My biggest objection to the Coros (of several) is that it won't sync to a computer.  Only a cell phone.  I really don't like devices that require a cell phone in order to use the full functionality.

Part of my broader objection to the ever growing societal expectation that everyone own a smart phone and have it on their person at all times.

Regarding my anemia, which is kind of counterproductive when you do endurance sports, it's related to the fact that I have Crohn's disease. Looks like my intestines have decided they don't want to absorb iron and B12 anymore. Because of the Crohn's and the medication I'm on, I get to take blood tests here and there, and I decided to tabulate all my previous results to see what I could read from them. I have learned over time that any NSAIDs really screw with my stomach, and lo and behold any time I've used any more than one here and one there of those, my blood levels drop. And when I took a test right after Amsterdam, where I had taken some ibuprofen in the weeks before to see how that could help the pain from the tendon injury (didn't know it was a tendon thing back then though), my blood levels were really low again. Coincidence with less than stellar performance and cramps, probably not?

Welcome back - good to have you here!

I read your point about the Crohns and the B12 with a lot of sympathy.  I have UC, and I experienced something similar due to a flare - my folate got extremely low.   I haven't been able to take NSAIDs for years due to resulting blood loss (TMI but oh well).  The good thing is that NSAIDs aren't really that good for you anyway.

I'm glad you are on your way back!  How are you supplementing your iron?  I'm assuming you have the same issue I have, which is that most iron supplements end up irritating the GI tract and resulting in more nutrient loss.  I've ended up using a hemp protein powder supplement, which has a good amount of iron but doesn't seem to irritate anything.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Flavio: coach you didnt specify the recovery lenght. Please be a bit more precise next time Smile We go to Alessandria in Piemonte often; we have friends there and the wine is great. But they have no clue about Pizza or I am often too drunk to care to find a proper place.

Zebano: get out of here if everyone can have NY tap water with your device why would anyone care to still live in NY???? Fantastic device.

Rune: good to hear from you. I see your strenght training and swimming is awesome. I didnt know you had a number of struggles aftwr Amsterdam. I will get in touch for sure when I am over next (maybe this summer) and will also get in touch for some tips on Amsterdam, since I am playing with the idea of jogging the full this year (easy pace, just to get ot off the bucket list). But I hear they have banned tourists from the coffee shops which is a real shame. 😀

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

zebano

Rune - welcome back! I never realized the anemia medicines had side effects, that's too bad.

RP that's a darn good base if you ever decide to run faster off it. I don't think enough bad things can be said about Litlte Ceasar's "pizza". I'll just leave it at it's more likely to cause a running emergency than Taco Bell.

Keen - 4 minute CP is brutal. Kudos. Our chess game is very interesting right now.

Mick I must have missed something as I'm not sure what you're referring to with NY water.

Chicago Pizza > NY Pizza

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - to access the tool you will need to be able to reach herokuapp.com (the heroku server) + Strava + not have any browser Add-on that blocks redirects.

I think I found the problem. I'll try again later.

EDIT: UblockOrigin was causing the problem. Thanks Buddy.

Metric....because 88 > 55. The walks are with the dog. They depend on work, temperature, and attitude.

My 7 mile loop is VERY flat, and the only "real" elevation loss/gain is the first 1-1.5 mile (1.6-2.4K).

Weekly for period: From: 04/01/2021 To 10/01/2021

Date Name Distance
                in km
                Duration Avg Pace
                per km
                Elevation Gain
                in m
                04/01/2021 That time we remember dead homies 11.27 00:57:55 05:08 35
                04/01/2021 👎🏿 🙅🏼‍♂️ 0.72 00:09:57 13:49 2
                05/01/2021 That time you have to just put yourself out there. 11.27 00:57:23 05:06 36
                05/01/2021 🔋 💀 4.33 01:01:35 14:13 23
                06/01/2021 That time I did it before work. 11.27 00:57:15 05:05 35
                06/01/2021 👨🏼‍💻 🤦🏼‍♂️ 0.71 00:10:05 14:12 2
                07/01/2021 That time it felt kind of weird. 6.50 00:40:39 06:15 24
                08/01/2021 🔨 🕰 2.00 00:22:34 11:17 11
                08/01/2021 That time I don’t need that kind of negativity. 11.27 00:59:57 05:19 35
                09/01/2021 That time we roll with the punches. 17.30 01:31:56 05:19 199
                10/01/2021 That time I found the secret to Wedge not sucking. 12.23 01:07:00 05:29 130

Total distance: 88.86km

Re: treadmill limits - some treadmills have a "manager mode" where you can change the time limit.  Of course, if you're using a gym treadmill, the gym may not like you changing their treadmill settings.

Fluffy supposedly has a 99 minute limit, but I've been able to circumvent it by setting a distance target.  So now my workouts all have a target distance of 15 or 20 miles (and Fluffy thinks that I just wimp out early)

So you're the reason the gym requires a sign in sheet and has loud buzzers going off when your time is up. 

Funny you mention having a phone at all times. My wife and I were watching Outer Limits and when the kids don't all have cell phones my wife hits "mom mode" and starts with the "you just leave your kid at home? How do they get ahold of you when they need you? What if something happens" and I smiled and said "you'd get a voice mail at work and figure out what it means." Next you'll tell me about the expectation to have "social media" outside of Strava and RA. As if a mewe/facepage/instantmass/fingerchat application is the only way to be informed.

zeb after taking a year off from doing marathons or any races, and building back up to marathon race shape I like to stay at 40 miles during the week. Knowing I want to do well at Boston and/or CIM, on top of another attempt at a half marathon PR, I kind of want a strong base/consistent effort built up. 2020 just de-STROYED me mentally towards running and I think half of it was the excitement I had from 2019 building plans into 2020.

marky_mark Funny you talk about your Garmin going well with professional attire. I never understood who'd want to wear a GPS watch all the time. Just so bulky and ugly. Saw a Fenix across the room at a meeting and instantly thought "my people. I need to talk to him." Turns out he just liked the tech and the display (not a runner) and his wife (runner) said it was too big. I've come to understand the "status symbol" of wearing a $500-1,000 watch doesn't HAVE to say Tag Heuer.

rune mechanical bull....at 45+ years old with a bad hamstring and tricep?

See the source image

Chrones......OOFF DAH! All I know is it can be extrememly painful. Maybe a Whole 30 "diet" would help identify foods that trigger reactions, unless you already know that. Having no problems with food (I don't eat spicy) or digestion, or iron levels I empathize with you. Kind of brings to hear me saying "can't complain. No one will listen. Everyone has bigger problems" when minor things in my life upset me to a level most people don't reach over serious things.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JamesD

JamesD

I had to use manager mode to change the default & maximum times.  There's another mode beyond manager that I haven't looked at yet, and I'll see if I can set a distance target instead - thanks for the idea.  The gym is in our 80-unit condo building, and I figure the powers that be wouldn't have left the manual out if they didn't want me to use it.

I agree with you on smart phones, though I do occasionally use a flip phone that belonged to my dad.  Our son wants me to get a smart phone so he can FaceTime me when he goes to college and has questions about things like laundry that he doesn't want to ask his mom.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - I checked the app and everything loaded properly, thanks!

Mark - Thanks. Part of the reason I went with the 5X was that it looks more like a "watch watch" than a sports watch, so to my mind it does look better in a business or more formal environment than a plastic-cased watch. I've also found that the higher-end models get support/development resources longer than others, which is another reason. I'd still be rocking my ~4 year old 5X instead of the Plus version if Garmin hadn't swapped it out and given me a bit of an upgrade as part of an out-of-warranty, beta testing related thing.

Rune!!! - Great to see you back here, and here's hoping you make some stellar progress. Out of curiosity related to the anemia/iron/B12 issues, how much red meat do you eat?

DWave - That's something else that bugged me about Coros - you can't get your data off of them without their app. My data is my data, dammit.

Treadmill limits - Often times you can access "hidden" menus to see stuff like diagnostics, how many hours/miles are on the machine, or make settings changes by pressing certain combinations of buttons. These are usually listed in owner's manuals available online...

Zebano - The 4 minute CP thing is right about 1k for me now, which is what I usually do those for when not doing workouts strictly by time.
                    Our game is quite interesting right now, and I'm fairly certain I'm a bit worse here. Lots of play, though.

There's a break in the water main just down the street from me, right at the start of our new running path, so my neighborhood has been without water since yesterday. In the neighborhood at the other end of said running path there's one new house being built, so I availed myself of the porto-john there for my daily constitutional. Runner's knowledge for the win!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Rune thats funny about the mechanical bull. Not so much that you hurt yourself. We definitely don't bounce as well as we get older 

Darkwave I'm a smartphone addict. I have learnt over the years that I don't have to always have it on me and I don't have to answer it when it rings.

The policeman told me that too when I got caught driving and talking on it a few weeks ago 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

piwi use voice to text. You know you've reached "next level" voice texting when you include punctuation in the phrase "Lol! I know, right?"

I'll never forget talking to a British gentleman who told me a cop pulled up to him at a red light after hitting the siren a few times. He was chewing on a water bottle after a recently passed "hands free" law. He said "but somehow you can smoke in the car and that's legal." I told him "you want to know why?" and he leaned in all curious..."cigarette companies have better legislators."

off to do my run. Tis oddly warm this time of year. Might need some sunscreen.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - free watch upgrade?  Great score!

Rune - hooray, welcome back!! Been following some of your activities on Strava but it's great to see you back on the forum here as well!!

Piwi - heh busted!  My father in law got busted in the city when his phone rang and he was in the process of picking it up and giving it to his friend in the passenger seat to answer for him.  I thought that was a bit ridiculous tbh.

Weather complaining - been hot here the last couple of mornings and I've been sweating up a storm, it's definitely shirtless season.  This is pretty much the worst time of year as you get heat plus the sun is up early so there's no escaping it.  By the end of Feb most of my runs will be done by sunrise.

RP - I gotta admit, I do like it when I spy a new acquaintance wearing a Garmin.  It's generally a sign there's an opportunity for good running chat.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Jmac welcome back I forgot you are so young like just out of school 

Mark/RP I got done for creeping through an orange light at rush hour too. Bummer the car in front of me was a mufti cop. He gave me a huge telling off for what was a very minor offense.

I should get a decent hands free for my van but the acoustics of a van are not great.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

Piwi Sister in law was written a ticket for rolling a stop sign. Cop goes straight to "license and registration" with a "sorry, I have to give you a ticket becuase I'm training and my partner is right there." comes back and starts asking how my sister in law likes the car she's driving. "yeah I was thinking about getting one..." give me the ticket. we're done here.

I can't telll you the last time I was pulled over. Maybe when I was kinda drunk and thought the car behind me wanted to pass so I half pulled into another lane, they stayed exactly behind me and as I came back into my lane they pulled me over. Turns out it was a cop.

miserable day at work. overproductive day of running. the two are going to go hand in hand this year. Much like 2019 and less like 2020.

VDOT 53.37 

runethechamp

Thanks for the welcome back!

DWave - I think it's hilarious that you call your treadmill fluffy! Regarding stomach stuff, I think I start leaking blood in my intestines if I take NSAIDs, at least that seems to be the problem. I've heard about your issue from other female friends of mine too. Regarding the iron, I hadn't really considered the whole fact that my iron supplement might lead to GI distress, which leads to reduced absorption of stuff, but I had a period when I was trying to take two pills a day, I'd take one before bed and then I tried one at lunch. The lunch one would give me serious cramps or whatever it was so I had to stop. I'm currently on Venofer infusions every 3 weeks and then we will see how things develop. I still take one pill at night but maybe I should stop and see if my stomach likes it better.

Mick - Amsterdam was awesome, apart form the cramps. I've heard it can be windy, or warm, but we had near perfect conditions. Too bad I can't blame my cramps on some external factors like that . Make sure to let me know if you're in the area.

Z - Thanks .Not sure about anemia medicine side effects but the antibiotics had some serious warnings coming with them.

RP/Brew - I would be VERY happy if I could get up to 40 mile weeks at some point this year. And regarding that bull, it sort of seemed like a good idea at the time .

Keen - sounds like fun with that water main! I think I eat red meat once or twice a week. Since I first started taking iron in 2011 I've more or less accepted that I will get anemic over time if I don't take it. New over the last year or two is that I was getting anemic even with the iron supplement 

Piwi - I can really just thank myself for getting injured on that bull, I went up on it 4 times after all. Third time I switched hands from right to left (I think my right hand was getting sore) and I think the left shoulder got screwed just from holding on. Had no grip strength for a day in my right hand but that part got better pretty quickly. Oh well.

Mark - Excited to be back!

Not much exciting about my workouts on Strava now but I will try to keep up on the pictures! Regarding running watches I told myself I couldn't justify getting a new one until I was able to train properly again. But last spring when the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro was on sale at $150 off the regular price I had to get one. Was afraid it would feel too heavy at first, and it did for a run or two, but now I love that thing. Favorite function right now (it changes depending on what I do) is that it measures temperature during my workouts so I get the water temp reported for my OW swims. You can't see it on Strava but it shows up on my Garmin account.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it