Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Ahhh JMac always exaggerating!  As someone who has run in NZ and many states in the USA (e.g. New York, California, Florida, Texas...), I can say Auckland is the most sapping.  End of discussion.

I agree with Steve and this is not related in any way to the fact I live in Auckland.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Watson Nice week and nice job on the 5k.  I was looking at the RC elite vs RC E 2 because it's was on sale I assume since the new version is out.  I still can't see paying that high a price for shoes.  I need a pair of Daily Trainers first anyway so likely will not get them at this point maybe when I'm ready the next new version will be out and I can pick up the "newest, old model" on sale

James Nice week you have been really consistent and really pushed up the weekly miles

Piwi nice week and tempo. its always good to get out and run with your kid.  it's been awhile for me and mine as he has been really busy lately plus he's out of shape .  Currently in Brooks Ghost 13 as my Daily Trainer

Steve another solid week, nice work on that long, run only a few weeks to go, enjoy the taper

FWIW my taper after a 96 km week was

• 57 km
      • 50 km
      • 48 km
      • 24 km + race 

(as a side note these taper weeks are about where I am at with my weekly mileage right now )

Flavio nice week how is the transition going are you still in Switzerland

DW nice week

Zebano Nice week ditto on the heat topic I officially moved my weekend runs to early morning instead of the afternoons to try and beat the heat.  Interesting on the Soucony never tried on their running shoes but likely will skip out on the "super shoes" at this point in favor of a daily training which I am really needing at this point.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

"mate it was brutal out there, reached almost 20 today, felt like a kiwi roasting on the barbie"

Keen - This pearl by Jmac has to go to the front page, I've laughed way too much at this.

Re: the workout: if you respect the pace that 2x2 mile @ 10k is doable.

Watson - Indeed, one of the biggest of recent memory.

Steve - Here are words to live for. From now until your marathon race there’s nothing you can do to improve your race, but there’s everything you can do to mess it up. Wrap yourself in bubble wrap.

Darkwave - I think I see where the mistake is. You guys need to call your cicadas something else. I’m no wild life expert, but I’d say you could call them “Karens” 😂

Zeb - that 2x 1.5 sounds super interesting. You start fast then you you start tiring and need to run faster heh.

Yes the coach prescribes how many uphhill and downhill strides. Downhill are by far more difficult to accomplish.

Hassan ran a great race, she’s in fantastic shape at the moment. The wave lights make everything so much easier.

Corey - Hang in there, good consistency. Yes, we’re still in Switzerland, the plan is to hop over to France on Saturday if we pass the covid test (which we should)

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Keen - This pearl by Jmac has to go to the front page, I've laughed way too much at this.

Re: the workout: if you respect the pace that 2x2 mile @ 10k is doable.

Zeb - that 2x 1.5 sounds super interesting. You start fast then you you start tiring and need to run faster heh.

Yes the coach prescribes how many uphhill and downhill strides. Downhill are by far more difficult to accomplish.

Hassan ran a great race, she’s in fantastic shape at the moment. The wave lights make everything so much easier.

Yes! JMac won the internet yesterday.

The get tired and go faster seems to be my coaches mantra, but usually the faster portions are paired with the intervals getting shorter. That one I actually think is fairly similar to "The Switchblade"  but with 800m reps instead of miles. or to stretching things a little, a threshold run I remember Darkwave doing that had minute long efforts at 5k thrown into it.

Alright Kiwis, you win. Auckland is the worst place in the world to run 

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac's comment has ascended to the front page.

JMac - I think you're right about the origin of Kiwi Point.
            I've never flown JetBlue, and looks like I won't anytime soon as they don't fly to/from OKC or even Tulsa. I'm going to wait until at least Thursday to book a flight since that's the earliest I can check flights that far out on Southwest and everything else is within a couple dollars on price.
            Also thinking of arriving Friday, leaving Monday.

Watson - I definitely agree that the combo of pacing lights and super shoes essentially makes past comparison somewhere between very difficult to impossible. I'm of the opinion that perfect pacing enabled by the lights is more of a factor than the shoes.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JamesD

JamesD

Zebano - you're a bit newer, but I've shared this before and have found it be spot on for adjusting temps. It's all based on TDP, or Kiwi Points as we call them here. This is you're running longer efforts, e.g. races or long tempos. If it's anything with a rest period, e.g. intervals, you take half the adjustment.

100 or less:   no pace adjustment

101 to 110:   0% to 0.5% pace adjustment

111 to 120:   0.5% to 1.0% pace adjustment

121 to 130:   1.0% to 2.0% pace adjustment

131 to 140:   2.0% to 3.0% pace adjustment

141 to 150:   3.0% to 4.5% pace adjustment

151 to 160:   4.5% to 6.0% pace adjustment

161 to 170:   6.0% to 8.0% pace adjustment

171 to 180:   8.0% to 10.0% pace adjustment

Above 180:   hard running not recommended

I will depart from my usual position on these things and say that if the TDP is over 160, you shouldn't run any longer hard efforts if you're not acclimated to heat.  Agree that over 180, it's not a good idea whether or not you're acclimated.

I've read, maybe on PodiumRunner, that some race directors look at an indicator called something like wet-bulb temperature, which takes into account sun intensity as well as temperature and humidity/dewpoint.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

You could say Jmac gave us Kiwis a " roasting " 

Cfarr i haven't tried Saucony either but their Endorphin Speed is one of the most highly rated training/workout shoes that is out there.

Flavio Keens 2 x 2 mile is doable its just the 800s that will add icing to the pain cake 🎂

I must admit I still get a little lost with the dew point talk.

I just use the terms muggy and humid 🙃 this is where wind is your friend and blows the humidity away.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I must admit I still get a little lost with the dew point talk.

I just use the terms muggy and humid 🙃 this is where wind is your friend and blows the humidity away.

Do you live near Auckland?  Could that be influencing your perspective?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Auckland - It's the equivalent of early December in Auckland, yet it's high temps in the 60's all week for you guys. Really rough, I pray for you. Make sure you guys bundle up.

Keen - that's crazy you've never flown Jet Blue! It does make sense though given your location. They're the best imo because you get by far the most leg room and they don't nickle and dime you.

Kiwi Points - I never understood wet bulb temperature. But James I would say these equivalents are not in direct sun. I would up it another 10-20 degrees if you're running in the direct sun. I most certainly would never do a hard workout if it was a typical hot summer day at noon, e.g. 90 temps, 70 dew point, direct sunlight.

Piwi - 75 degree point is pretty equivalent to the tropics and downright oppressive. So imagine that level of humidity. I don't think NZ ever gets that high, I imagine when you guys think it's humid the dew points are in the 60s. Once you get below 60F in dew point, it doesn't really impact you too much (unless you live train in a super dry climate and come race in those conditions). Here's another fun weather table!

Dew-Point-Table

Why humidity is worse for you than heat - Speaking of wet bulbs and humidity, here's an interesting study I read. I totally believe it. I don't mind running in 90F and dry heat. But 80 and super humid? I'm coming home soaked in sweat and exhausted:

Gupta et al. studied oxygen consumption and heart rate during intensive cycling in comfortable, hot & dry, and hot & humid conditions.

Notably, the study was designed so that the wet bulb globe temperature—a measurement of temperature, humidity, and sunlight that more accurately gauges the apparent temperature felt by your body—was equivalent in the hot and dry versus the hot and humid conditions.

“Hot and dry” was 115° F with 30% relative humidity, while “hot and humid” was 104° F and 60% humidity.

Both of these produced a wet bulb globe temperature of 93° F, hot enough for most road races in the United States to fly a black weather warning flag and cancel the event.

Now:

In dry heat, the peak oxygen consumption the soldiers were able to achieve was 5.7% lower than their maximal oxygen consumption in comfortable conditions; when exercising in hot and humid conditions, this performance decrement jumped to 12%.

Heart rates during exercise showed a similar pattern.

For a given power output on the exercise bike (akin to running at a given pace on a treadmill), hot and humid conditions elicited a higher heart rate than hot and dry, which in turn resulted in a higher heart rate than comfortable temperatures.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I requested more complaining about weather complaining and boy did I get it.  I found training in Christchurch (dry and hot) and racing in Auckland (high humidity, less heat) to be very tough.  Easy training runs in Auckland in the worst part of the summer for humidity really suck too.  Probably worse for me not training there very much.

No-one said Auckland ever gets cold!  I thought we were talking about tough running conditions.  Auckland is as draining as Florida.  I'm sure all the others here who have run in both places will agree 

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Re: humidity - I actually think that relative humidity is somewhat important.   For example, given temp and DP of 62, or temp of 66 and DP of 58, I'd frankly take the latter.  There's something about 100 % relative humidity that can suck even when it's relatively cool.  It feels strange - you are cold when standing still, but overheat when running.

I'm not sure I understand this once it gets above 50 (there is an argument at colder temps, high humidity is colder because the moisture in the air cools you down). A dew point of 62 has higher moisture levels in the air vs. 58, regardless of temperature. I have never felt this. I have felt like it "feels" more humid at 7 am, but I think that's more a product of the fact that the wind is generally 0 mph at sunrise, but rises as the day goes on, so it "feels" less humid as the day goes on even though the DP is exactly the same.

Where is weatherboy when you need him?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I requested more complaining about weather complaining and boy did I get it.

After running a terrible race this weekend, I need all of this talk to assure me that it is not my lack of fitness, but just the weather. It makes me feel better about myself 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

After running a terrible race this weekend, I need all of this talk to assure me that it is not my lack of fitness, but just the weather. It makes me feel better about myself 

There's no doubt the weather impacted your race.  And it's not like you're at peak fitness yet right?  So what are you worried about?

Is it because you're so far behind piwi in the age graded stakes?

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

There's no doubt the weather impacted your race.  And it's not like you're at peak fitness yet right?  So what are you worried about?

Is it because you're so far behind piwi in the age graded stakes?

No, I think Piwi is going to beat me in an absolute sense too. He's been talking smack for a year on my Strava and he's clearly been right 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Piwi - 75 degree point is pretty equivalent to the tropics and downright oppressive. So imagine that level of humidity. I don't think NZ ever gets that high, I imagine when you guys think it's humid the dew points are in the 60s. Once you get below 60F in dew point, it doesn't really impact you too much (unless you live train in a super dry climate and come race in those conditions). Here's another fun weather table!

Dew-Point-Table

Obligatory weather whining - it was temp AND DP of 76 degrees for my track workout this morning (so 24C with 99% humidity).  It sucked.  Really sucked.  I got lightheaded during the fifth 800 and so I bailed and swapped to 400s and 200s.
                                Seeing the "skip it or dramatically alter goal" makes me feel better.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.