Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Obligatory weather whining - it was temp AND DP of 76 degrees for my track workout this morning (so 24C with 99% humidity).  It sucked.  Really sucked.  I got lightheaded during the fifth 800 and so I bailed and swapped to 400s and 200s.
    Seeing the "skip it or dramatically alter goal" makes me feel better.

Ouch. I find once DP hits 75, it's impossible to do anything besides easy runs. I've even tried "long" runs of 16 miles where I hydrate before plus drink as much as I can on the run, and it's very difficult to finish without either wrecking yourself or needing to walk to cool down for a few minutes.

When the DP is that high, sweating does nothing. It doesn't cool you down at all and you're just losing water. Bad combination for anything more than 90 minutes.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

Ouch. I find once DP hits 75, it's impossible to do anything besides easy runs. I've even tried "long" runs of 16 miles where I hydrate before plus drink as much as I can on the run, and it's very difficult to finish without either wrecking yourself or needing to walk to cool down for a few minutes.

When the DP is that high, sweating does nothing. It doesn't cool you down at all and you're just losing water. Bad combination for anything more than 90 minutes.

Have you tried taking something with electrolytes rather than just water during the run? In the winter, sprint and fall I wont take water with me on runs of 2 hours  but water just doesn't seem to cut it in Heat + Humidity whereas something as simple as Gatorade makes a huge difference (Pedialyte, nuun, or even pop are all acceptable).

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

No-one said Auckland ever gets cold!  I thought we were talking about tough running conditions.  Auckland is as draining as Florida.  I'm sure all the others here who have run in both places will agree 

I have to wear gloves sometimes in winter!  No really though, Auckland doesn't get cold.  I will defer to you on the Auckland / Florida relativity having never visited the latter haha.

Having run in Queensland a bit on holidays in Australia, that would be tough in humid summer months.  It was OK in spring when we were there but was certainly noticeably worse than Victoria and NSW which are drier.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Have you tried taking something with electrolytes rather than just water during the run? In the winter, sprint and fall I wont take water with me on runs of 2 hours  but water just doesn't seem to cut it in Heat + Humidity whereas something as simple as Gatorade makes a huge difference (Pedialyte, nuun, or even pop are all acceptable).

This is a great suggestion.  In our oppressive summer Auckland climate, I will pre-load with electrolytes before going out on a long run or workout.  With the amount you sweat out in summer conditions, you really need electrolytes or else they'll becoming the limiting factor quite quickly.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

This is a great suggestion.  In our oppressive summer Auckland climate, I will pre-load with electrolytes before going out on a long run or workout.  With the amount you sweat out in summer conditions, you really need electrolytes or else they'll becoming the limiting factor quite quickly.

Unquestionably, electrolytes are very necessary.  For me, I've found that I have to do them individually.  This is because I tend to run very low on both salt and magnesium, and your standard sports drink or gel won't have enough.  OTOH, things that are high in potassium will often make me a bit nauseous.  And then there's the added issue that I don't tolerate many sweeteners (stevia, honey, splenda).  So I'm generally better off using plain water plus heavy salting of food and magnesium pills.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

We need some posters on here from Thailand or Singapore πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬ to put the perspective on humidity πŸ˜…

Jmac for me just to break 18 is going to be tough so don't worry you are several classes of fast above me.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

We need some posters on here from Thailand or Singapore πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬ to put the perspective on humidity πŸ˜…

Agreed.

On Strava, I have a friend in Taiwan.  What he is training in is absolutely brutal - his Strava for this morning was 80 degrees F with 93% humidity (so a DP of 78).  And he's wearing a mask when running...

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Agreed.

On Strava, I have a friend in Taiwan.  What he is training in is absolutely brutal - his Strava for this morning was 80 degrees F with 93% humidity (so a DP of 78).  And he's wearing a mask when running...

There was a half marathon in Bangkok a few years ago where they famously marked the course wrongly resulting in 13.1 miles becoming almost 17!

That would be tough in normal conditions but in that sort of humidity it actually becomes quite dangerous.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I think we're several pages into hot weather chat now - it warms my heart as much as a run in Auckland.

My extrapolation from the 10 day forecast for Wellington is down to 18 days now.  The next 10 days actually looks okay so my extrapolation which assumes it will continue is looking good.  The extrapolation that assumes if there's a few days without wind then some horrific days are coming up, not so good.  I can promise there will be no hot weather complaining for this one though.

I went to Singapore for work a lot in my first job.  I actually think it could even exceed Auckland for oppressive humidity.

5km: 18:34 11/23 β”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 β”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 β”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

There was a half marathon in Bangkok a few years ago where they famously marked the course wrongly resulting in 13.1 miles becoming almost 17!

How?????

And at some point, don't you as a runner realize that the course is way too long?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The official word from my Kiwi friend, now resident in the Washington DC area:

a) Auckland can be quite humid but doesn't get all that hot - rarely above 80 degrees F in the summer.

b) Auckland has much less air conditioning than the DC area, meaning that DC summers are worse outdoors, but easier inside.

c) he would much rather be a summer runner in Auckland than DC.

Marky_Mark_17

How?????

And at some point, don't you as a runner realize that the course is way too long?

There was a u-turn which was not where it was supposed to be (evidently not even close to where it was supposed to be!).  And I've no doubt that most runners would've clicked that the course was far too long.

Steve- are you looking at just one forecast or multiple ones?  I have a great sample to choose from.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Just Metservice at the moment so I guess I'm not at peak taper madness just yet.

Running Rogue - Great episode of the podcast this week on relaxed running and optimising performance by running progressively.  Very timely.

5km: 18:34 11/23 β”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 β”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 β”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

2015 so some runners would not have GPS

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/16/bangkok-half-marathon-worlds-longest-u-turn-17-mile-race

In 2012 I ran a half that was 1km too long.  I thought I had screwed up my mapping of the course and was really struggling .  It was only later that I found out it was too long.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Running Problem

Problem Child

The official word from my Kiwi friend, now resident in the Washington DC area:

a) Auckland can be quite humid but doesn't get all that hot - rarely above 80 degrees F in the summer.

b) Auckland has much less air conditioning than the DC area, meaning that DC summers are worse outdoors, but easier inside.

c) he would much rather be a summer runner in Auckland than DC.

Sounds like Alaska. Their heatwave was 90F (32C) and 60%+ humidity. Wife had to tell me they don’t have air conditioning in many places up there because ‘it never gets that hot.’ I’d rather be a couch surfer than a runner in summer. 

edit: a runner I was friends with, until he moved, is in Korea now. I never see his weather. It sounds miserable though. No mask for him in a recent Color Me Rad type run when crossing the finish line but he had a weird blue chinstrap on. I figured it was a fashion statement.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22